Do Youtube Drum Covers Influence What/How You Play?

I guess there are 2 elements.
1. Figuring out what is played/transcribing the part
2. Learning to play that.

I find YouTube to be a time saver on item 1.
I usually target to learn new songs or chops fast and don't mind to use YouTube for the figuring out part.

Thx

Jorn

You should probably spend more time notating parts for yourself than looking at youtube to see how others are doing it. I'd say look to youtube covers once you've already studied it on your own.

The amount you can learn by notating stuff that inspires you is really hard to put into words. Go slow, listen for every note and figure out where it fits into the beat. Write it down and fully appreciate why everything is happening.

Agree...

... early (2 years ago), in my getting back into drums, I would look at videos. If I was looking at the wrong video, which I probably was doing, they more than likely would screw me up.

Now, like Doc says, get it down. Then, if I'm not quite understanding how a certain portion is done, I may look at video's to pinpoint the questionable area by someone who has figured it out.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but, most of the songs (unless they're really old) you get on YouTube were done in the studio and "put together" from multiple tracks. I'd say a better representation of that certain drummer you are trying to emulate would be a live version of that song. Not the studio version. Myself, I would look to live versions for how to play a song.

I'm in no way trying to emulate what's on Youtube - just using it for a resource.

I just notice that when I watch some drummers, they're playing parts in the song that I wasn't aware of before I watched the video. I go back and listen to the song and yep, there it is. I hear it when I see it being played. How did I miss it when I was listening?

You need to develop better listening habits to be able to trust your own ears, not someone else's. YT is not a resource for determining the accuracy of parts. The vast majority of drummers and other musicians who post YT vids aren't attempting to play original parts in the first place, and those who claim they are - "how to play _____" - typically aren't. I don't recall ever seeing a YT video of anyone correctly covering the original drum parts of a song.

After I've put parts through the ringer for Al, I occasionally check YT to see if anyone else is as diligent as I am. They're not. It's not that I'm amazing, it's just that my career depends on being accurate, and I don't see that on YT.

There's only one way to be confident that you're learning the original parts, and that's to listen for yourself.

Bermuda

Then, if I'm not quite understanding how a certain portion is done, I may look at video's to pinpoint the questionable area by someone who has figured it out.

This touches on my previous response.

If you're not sure about a part, how do you know the guy on YouTube knows what to do?

Bermuda

This touches on my previous response.

If you're not sure about a part, how do you know the guy on YouTube knows what to do?

Because it sounds just like it does on the record, and now you see exactly how he/she did it.

I'd agree its important to listen and try, but YouTube is just another resource to help.

In trying to determine what the studio version played, so I can work that into a cover, I've found in some cases a YT Video (slowed down when possible) will shed some light on the groove or beat I couldn't hear.
But the most success I've had in nailing down parts is to read a good transcription (which, like YT Videos are highly inconsistent and many times, unreliable), then watch the best video(s) I can find, then work through the song by myself many, many times. I start with understanding the song as a whole, reading the lyrics, then dissecting parts and grooves. As my listening has matured, I try to hear where the bass or guitar grooves sync up with drums, and try to keep that intact in the cover.

I'm in Bermuda's camp on keeping the drums as close to the cover as I can for starters before trying to play it in a group. If the group doesn't follow that version closely, plays faster/slower or takes some extended jams, I can adapt as needed from a clear reference point. I do try to avoid excessive or over-playing, so prevalent on most YT Covers. Adding is easy, staying close to original is harder.

You need to develop better listening habits to be able to trust your own ears, not someone else's. YT is not a resource for determining the accuracy of parts. The vast majority of drummers and other musicians who post YT vids aren't attempting to play original parts in the first place, and those who claim they are - "how to play _____" - typically aren't. I don't recall ever seeing a YT video of anyone correctly covering the original drum parts of a song.

After I've put parts through the ringer for Al, I occasionally check YT to see if anyone else is as diligent as I am. They're not. It's not that I'm amazing, it's just that my career depends on being accurate, and I don't see that on YT.

There's only one way to be confident that you're learning the original parts, and that's to listen for yourself.

Bermuda

Bermuda---Respect your opinion on all things drum, but

How about this for accuracy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhUnNpzw2o

I have found this young man's transcriptions and demos very helpful.

Last edited:
Bermuda---Respect your opinion on all things drum, but

How about this for accuracy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouJetiHNAv0

I have found this young man's transcriptions and demos very helpful.

I don't have anything to compare it to in terms of accuracy. It's just a snare solo, and a bit choppy at times (he's not a rudimental drummer.)

Bermuda

I'm intrigued, what kind of nuances are we talking about here?

When I was a kid for example I didn't know drummers played ghost notes. Is it that kind of thing?

By the sound of it you were pretty happy after using your own ears before you went to youtube, so I'm interested to know what popped out at you that you weren't hearing on the records?

I suspect we are talking minutiae here. There was a discussion the other day about whether it was sacrilage to leave out the last ride 16th before a crash. Often small details like that are fun to perfect, but isn't going to make or break the song.

Yeah, Iv'e seen that guy. Not a bad drummer, just has no feeling for what he's playing.

I think he plays it wonderfully.

I'm not a great fan of Queen or that song, but I can listen to it played like that.

Just goes to show eh :)

I am really amazed at just how much I'm apparently missing while just listening to the music. While I definitely have the groove and the backbeat down, there are a lot of important nuances that get by me that I am not aware of.

This is definitely eroding my confidence as a drummer.

On the plus side, if you didn't see the videos you'd still be none the wiser about those arrangements. You learned something.

In my experience, the more arrangements you learn, the more you pick up.

I don't watch drum covers any more, though I like listening to isolated drum and rhythm section tracks from original recordings.

I guess there are 2 elements.
1. Figuring out what is played/transcribing the part
2. Learning to play that.

I find YouTube to be a time saver on item 1.
I usually target to learn new songs or chops fast and don't mind to use YouTube for the figuring out part.

Thx

Jorn

+1 I have found drum covers to be a handy tool when cramming for an audition or sub gig.. need to learn 30 songs in 4 days.. it helps!

I confess I watch these, but mainly because it's the only way to get drum related video content.

I also find it annoying when people aren't true to the form. In the broader sense of not just songs but also musical styles and traditions. For example lessons on playing a rock beat that doesn't even generally just rock, but then calling it something else like salsa, samba, blues, jazz or funk.

I am older (64) and I play in a dance band. We do ALL kinds of music, old and new. The band leader wants to recreate the original sound/feel of any song we cover. I ABSOLUTELY rely on all the talented people who do the YouTube covers, as well as trying to listen to live versions of the original artists' versions. Wish I could have seen other drummers back in the days I was learning: 1964.

Back