SUPERSIZED for a (cheep) trade

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Man, I fell into a great deal today-- a 5-piece drumset for $80! They wanted $100, but I offered my 2 HP 5 gallon air compressor as a barter, (as it's a crappy CB set). Done deal.

I figure the (double braced) cymbal stand, extra floor tom, and extra snare were worth the $80 alone. The new kit is the exact same color as my old one--black. Blends in like a mofo.

Well, I combined the 2 kits tonight, and went friggin' GONZO on it! man, a 10 piece set with wrap-around toms and a second bass drum is AWESOME! I went so nuts that my arms and wrists are kinda sore from all the action.

I probably will strip the hardware and keep certain parts of the drum kit, as it's just too big to gig with, (and WAY too big for my already over-stuffed garage) but in the meantime----WHATTA RUSH. It's so cool to be completely surrounded by drums. I'll take a pic or 2 and post them when I get a chance.

I figure if I can't sell the unwanted drums, I'll just donate them to the local High School.

Cool, huh?

Cheers,
C. P.

Humm....I think I would have kept the air compressor! LOL.

Seriously though, congrats. Large set ups can be fun when you're not used to them!

Man how silly do you have to be to set up a kit with a load of cheap drums on your kit you've got already! :p oj if you didn't know already I did a similar thing a few months ago but i wrapped the cheap drums in camo fabric to match the performers. Looked rather bitchin' lol i've got a few pics of it if you go in your gear and search threads started by EddieHimself. can't wait to see yours sounds as if it turned out a bit better than mine lol.

Yeah, I think most of us on here would rather have a good 4 piece than a crappy 10 piece. There are CB drums available from 50 to 100 bucks for a full kit every single day in my local Craig's List...but I know those drums, and frankly, they aren't worth it.

Have fun with the big set, though. If it's your first time on a monster, it'll be fun for a while.

Hey Crew,

Seems I'm living a charmed life lately.... The bass drum and one of the rack toms turned out to be Peace, (not much better, but still better) the other (12") being a CB--they all had CB heads on them. Some of the hardware is "mixed", but no biggie.
The girl I bought the set from called me today and said "Oh- you forgot one of the cymbals, please come back and pick it up."

I was in Chico anyway today, (where she lives) showed up, and the cymbal turned out to be a Sabian B8 20" 51cm ride cymbal in virgin condition!

Maybe I should start playing the Lotto?!?!?!?!

Holy cow, life can be SWEET sometimes. I'm gonna have a brewski, toast my good fortune, and beat the living hell outta my newfound "Monster kit" before I start stripping it down for parting out on Craigslist.

Cheers,
C. P.

Last edited:
Hey Crew,

Heres a few pics of the "supersized" set-- I think I'm gonna hang onto most of it for now, as playing a MUCH bigger set has become an addiction.

Enjoy!
C. P.

Attachments

• supersized drumset 001.jpg
    supersized drumset 001.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 391
  • supersized drumset 002.jpg
    supersized drumset 002.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 402
  • supersized drumset 003.jpg
    supersized drumset 003.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 404
  • supersized drumset 004.jpg
    supersized drumset 004.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 390
  • supersized drumset 005.jpg
    supersized drumset 005.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 391
  • supersized drumset 006.jpg
    supersized drumset 006.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 401
I think we may have evidence to include these photos with the Tom Angles thread. The jury is out for the moment.

Hey Crewsters,

The "tom angle thread"??? OK, what qualifies WHAT angle for WHAT on that? (I gotta know now!) I may be guilty as charged!

You guys (and gals) never cease to inform me and crack me up, and I heavily value all the feedback, comments, and input.

Yeah, having a "garage monster" drumset has become a full-on addiction for me--God help me!
One cool part of the story is that I've sold a few parts and components of the recently bought set, (Throne, second hi-hat stand, crappy cymbals, etc) that the new drumset addition has actually PAID me $122.00 over the purchase/barter costs!

Life probably can't get much better than that...... or CAN it? (heh heh!)

Cheers to all, rock forever,
C. P.

Hey Crew,

Mouldy, a few people have asked me that!

Naw, it's a high-density foam pad on the inside of the head for a bit of muffle.
Yeah, looks ugly, but works! (hey I look ugly, but I work!
Besides, the audience never sees it- just me.

As for "tom angles", I suffer from "long reach syndrome"--I'm 6'4", and have long appendages. I have to keep my throne pretty far back from the kit for comfort (keep the upper legs horizontal) so it kinda dictates that the toms have to come forward a bit to compensate.

Cheers,
C. P.

I've got a killer deal on some old Folgers coffee containers....they might make a wonderful addition as Concert toms...I was asking $10 bucks.... but I'll take 5, and a bicycle pump...interested???

LOL...sorry man.

Ah, foam for muffling. Whatever works, I suppose. Just looking at them, though, it looked like you didn't want to buy new heads so taped over it with cardboard :d

That was so cool. Great work getting that stuff so cheaply.

Hey Crew,

ANOTHER discovery on my new kit.... These great little internal muffle rings in every single shell- even the snare. I'll take and post a pic or 2 of them, and the really seem to do a great, even job on the sound control. They're Remo "muff'l" ring dampners.

Installed inside the head instead of outside like my Evans "ringers", they don't seem to kill any tone, just ring and a sconch of volume. Never seen these before. Have they been around very long? I kinda like the way they work. Anyone else use these?

Here's a pic of them--
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Remo-Muff-L-Ring-Control?sku=442922

Back