Dream Theater's new drummer position: Who should it be?

Marco Minnemann would be perfect for the job.
I've seen him play everything from drum 'n bass, Led Zeppelin and The Police-covers, big band, extreme metal, extreme fusion. You name it!
He's a monster and he would fit right in. Maybe a little younger age-wise.

I agree with Thaard, which is not easy to do ( sorry, there's a king involved).. Marco is a freak and could fill any position.

I think Charlie Zeleny of Behold the Arctopus might be gunning for the job, ever since Mike quit he's posted some very well done Dream Theatre covers on youtube. I think he'd be a great fit.

Last edited:
My vote is for Steve Smith.

He definitely has the chops and the musicality, and if you're familiar with his work with Journey you know he can bring the power!

To be fair, though, Gavin Harrison and Thomas Lang would be nice fits, as well.

(Please, nobody suggest Terry Bozzio!!)

In my opinion Terry Bozzio is just a dude with a big drumset. Im not hating, but i saw a video where it said it was his big solo, and he wasnt doing anything at all, not playing complex, just rolling around on some toms. lol

In my opinion Terry Bozzio is just a dude with a big drumset. Im not hating, but i saw a video where it said it was his big solo, and he wasnt doing anything at all, not playing complex, just rolling around on some toms. lol

Well, when you have some free time, I'd suggest you research Bozzio some more. He's one of the more technically proficient drummers of his generation.

He is also one of the biggest influences on Mike Portnoy outside of Neil Peart. I'm a huge Dream Theater fan, but a good half, if not more, of everything Portnoy has ever played is directly lifted from Bozzio.

But as I've said, I don't see Bozzio ever joining Dream Theater.

How about Charlie Zeleny, he performed with Jordan Rudess a few times (so there's a connection), use to be in the the band Behold...The Arctopus (strange prog-ness about it) and is really a metal and technical drummer.

I think Charlie Zeleny of Behold the Arctopus might be gunning for the job, ever since Mike quite he's posted some very well done Dream Theatre covers on youtube. I think he'd be a great fit.

Oops, someone already posted about Charlie Zeleny.

I can't help but think that Mike Mangini would be a great fit. He's extremely technical and could easily wrap his head around any time, tempo, style change that DT could throw at him. He's a full time teacher at Berklee school of music (Where MP, JP, and JM went to school for a year or so) and has shown that he can step away from that to pursue tours in the past.

On his FB page recently he's said that he's been practicing a ton (no surprise there, but given this topic I figured it may have some correlation) and I know that he's married with at least 1 kid- so yeah, family guy (no, not the show). Also, at a show in Boston- don't quote me but I think it was early 2002- he performed on stage with Dream Theater when MP pulled him out of the crowd to join him on the original Siamese Monster.

Also someone that has shared the Siamese/Albino/Mirage/ and whatever other two-headed monsters MP has come up with recently is Jason Bittner. JB was brought up earlier in the thread and I completely agree that he's a cool guy and certainly family oriented (also from NY like JM and JP). I just can't see JB walking away from Shadows Fall to pursue DT. I know a lot of his music and can't say that I've seen anything on the technical equivalent of DT. With that said, I can't judge him without seeing what he can do.

Charlie Benante is someone I just don't see melding well with DT just from a stylistic point of view. Charlie's playing has always been somewhat straight up and down without a whole lot of frills and I can't picture that with DT-- as odd as it sounds, I think his playing may be too simplistic.

Ah well, DT Nation will just have to sit around patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for the announcement-- then a whole new buzz, investigation, bashing, praising, etc. phase will commence when there is an announcement. I'm eagerly waiting with the rest of you.

AJ

His work on Explorer's Club was pretty nasty and his work with Frank Zappa is some of the most complicated rock arrangements ever written/performed. His solo work is difficult to take in but he's played some really great drums on a lot of recordings.

John Tempesta - The Cult

Sean Kinney - Alice In Chains

Back