Drummer Problems Please Help!

Niceguy77

The drummer in my band grew up with Dream Theater and with that being said is always playing over the top! He on most cases throws a temper when asked to stay in the pocket, keep it simple and tight. He is a great drummer with awesome foot speed but very little authenticity. When it come to his drumming efforts, he lacks creativity as a drummer. He's a quad drummer all the time! His attitude is I've been around the block and I been to Berkeley (only five weeks). What can I do or say to help him be a better drummer in the band?

If his attitude and/or approach to playing isn't meshing with the rest of the band's, then get rid of him. Why would you play with someone who is annoying and doesn't play what needs to be played? If you've asked him to get with the program and he just doesn't get it, then the ball's now in your court to find his replacement.

Unless he's the band leader and/or takes care of the songwriting and arrangements, he needs to either get over his ego and need to show off, or avoid letting the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

It's not an uncommon problem, unfortunately. Many musicians (not just drummers) don't realise that skills are only useful if they can be put to use in a musical context, and that an average audience isn't interested or impressed by constant fills, polyrhythms and speed. Pull out the flashy stuff here and there, and let the music breathe the rest of the time.

NiceGuy, how about showing him this thread?

You said it all - basically that he's got a vibe but he's spreading what he's got too thin instead of holding back until the music calls for a BOOGIDY-BOOGIDY-BOOM and then going for it. Naigewron made the same point.

Lack of creativity is not good. Maybe you could make sure he gets to read the lyrics and understands the feeling the writer is trying to convey? That usually gets the ideas flowing.

I doubt those kinds of problems will be fixed all at once; it'll take time.

Good luck!

The drummer in my band grew up with Dream Theater and with that being said is always playing over the top! He on most cases throws a temper when asked to stay in the pocket, keep it simple and tight. He is a great drummer with awesome foot speed but very little authenticity. When it come to his drumming efforts, he lacks creativity as a drummer. He's a quad drummer all the time! His attitude is I've been around the block and I been to Berkeley (only five weeks). What can I do or say to help him be a better drummer in the band?

I'm guessing your band isn't similar to Dream Theatre? Anyhow, I think you can take a wild stab at my advise on this. You say he's a great drummer. Here's the news, he's not. I'm sure he has great chops, technical skills, etc but that's only part of being a great drummer. Being able to apply those skills with feel, passion, musicallity & a sense of space is a much bigger part of being great. He's obviously more interested in playing to his ego and seeking personal adulation than enhancing the band sound. If you've already tried the persuasive approach and you get the "Berklee" reply, he's obviously got his head so far up inside himself he's not listening to you. Get rid of him.

You could also play him other artists songs that have drumming that has the feel you're looking for as examples. If you are a gigging band and he can agree to support the music in a way that is more appropriate to the songs, you can offer him a solo once a night and let him work out his Portnoy passion that way.

on most cases throws a temper when asked to stay in the pocket,

If he's not in the pocket it doesn't matter what he plays. It will sound like shit. If he can keep it in the slot maybe you might like it better.

I just saw a bio on the Who on the Sundance channel. One guy had this to say, "Really, they're all playing lead aren't they? It's f***ing nuts." Or something very similar. Anyway the point was is over playing is something that very seldom works, and apparantly your drummer isn't getting it. If in everyone else's opinion he's hurting the music more then he's helping, and he refuses to see it, find another drummer. There's only so much you can do. Everybody has lessons to learn and sometimes they're hard knocks, and sometimes that's the only way someone will learn, if even then. I'm sure there is more then one drummer waiting to take his place so think of them rather then the sore you have.

What can I do or say to help him be a better drummer in the band?

Say these words to him: "You're fired."

Sound harsh? Maybe. From what I read, there is a band out there for this guy, where his kind of playing may be the perfect thing. It's just not for yours. For instance, I don't think "being in the pocket" is really that important for a band that is doing the Dream Theatre thing. But it might be really important for the kind of music your band is doing.

You are better off letting this guy go in search of a gig that allows him to play the kind of music that aligns well with his interests, rather than trying to change him into what you want. And if changing him is still the goal, then letting him go will likely prove to the be the shortest path to that kind of change.

Monica:

Please avoid profanity here. Thanks.

Monica:

Please avoid profanity here. Thanks.

Hey Muckster. I swear I'm not picking a fight but is the word shit really profane?

Her posts are good. Is crap better? Just asking. Not trying to mess with you, for real.

Hey Muckster. I swear I'm not picking a fight but is the word shit really profane?

Her posts are good. Is crap better? Just asking. Not trying to mess with you, for real.

My opinion is yes. We have all age groups here. But that is the administrator's call and looks like that has been covered in rule 3.

3) Appropriate Language

This forum is visited by all kinds of people: pro drummers who have been in the business for decades, 10-year-old kids, moms and dads looking for help purchasing their child's first kit, teachers, amateurs, hobbyists, and hard working drummers who post here only when they aren't practicing or gigging. Communicate your thoughts in a way that is helpful and respectful without embarrassing anyone, including yourself. Don't use insulting or crude slang words, even if it is language that you use commonly with your peers. Do not substitute asterisks or other symbols for letters in words when it is obvious what you are actually saying. Try to keep language and subject matter as clean as possible. If you cannot express yourself without mentioning body parts, excretory functions, or reproductive behavior, we ask that you practice your conversational skills elsewhere before utilizing them here.

Do not post words or images that are sexually or violently graphic in nature, do not discuss drug use or any illegal activities, and do not post links to such images or discussions. If you choose a user name, avatar, or signature that violates any of these rules it will be deleted, and if we deem it appropriate you will be banned with no warning other than what you are reading here.

If it seems that you have made an honest mistake in judgment, your post will be edited or deleted and a Personal Message (PM) from a Moderator will be sent to you. Please do not respond by defending your words or arguing.

If you cannot express yourself without mentioning body parts, excretory functions, or reproductive behavior, we ask that you practice your conversational skills elsewhere before utilizing them here.

EEK!
wrists, sweating and parenting can all fit within that!

On another note :
niceguy I'm sure you realize it but I thought I'd throw it out there - One way to look at it is a personnel management problem
It's a problem certainly not drum-specific (and hey my native instrument isn't drums).

Maybe you should -[and it's a jerk move ]
go to rehearsal and say "hey I want to learn a tune or two from childhood - schoolhouse rock sort of stuff. just for grins and to get the crowd on our side and singing along"

then break into

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm-zWDaoCtI

Last edited:

In defense of music, I say communicate, and if it fails, give him the sudden opportunity to play elsewhere.

In defense of drummers, do a quick check in the mirror to see if you are really listening to his ideas as much as your own, and not stuck in the "whine about the drummer" game that so many fall prey to. Many feel the drummer is just the beat, and don't realize that it is a complex musical instrument, and therefore only Ringo clones are doing it right in their minds.

Back