When people ask you to 'play something', what do you play?

Depending on my mood, the audience and time of day, I'll either play "Polynesian Nightmare" or the second movement of 4'33".

Crossover Triplets. No better way to easily impress people who know nothing about drums.

If the person asking is a musician, I just play something really simple and tell them I suck.

Double kick, blast beats, and Bonham triplets. That usually puts a quick end to a sometimes awkward situation.

Improvise on the spot. Whatever comes in my head at the time I guess

My favorite is when I go to a jam session to sit in with some people I've never seen before and when I sit down, start cheesin' on the kit like an uncoordinated buffoon... makes 'em really nervous then they start giving me a "talk-down" of the tune... "OK this is Mustang Sally, it's just a straight, easy beat. Just give me a simple beat, look at me for breaks"... When I kick it off with a "Motown on Steroids" feel they look at me like I'm possessed or something.

My favorite is when I go to a jam session to sit in with some people I've never seen before and when I sit down, start cheesin' on the kit like an uncoordinated buffoon... makes 'em really nervous then they start giving me a "talk-down" of the tune... "OK this is Mustang Sally, it's just a straight, easy beat. Just give me a simple beat, look at me for breaks"... When I kick it off with a "Motown on Steroids" feel they look at me like I'm possessed or something.

BAAAAD man!..................................

Back