Vintage Ludwig 3ply Heaven - One of a kind

csnow

Thought I would share my 1976 Ludwig 3ply Classic maple kit. Early 1976 was the last year the 3 ply's were available and this kit has the hard to find 3ply toms that came in 6,8,10, and 12 sizes. I believe these toms were only made during 1975 and the first months of 1976 before Ludwig went to the 6ply shells. The smaller toms were originally concert toms, but I converted them to dual headed toms. The concert toms already had the bearing edges from the factory, so I added the lower hardware. I know the vintage gurus will be upset that I modified this kit, but I am a drum player, not a collector. However, I figure if Ludwig didnt want heads on the lower concert tomes they shouldn't have cut the bearing edges at the factory :) Sadly, the smaller toms are very shallow, so the lugs had to be offset, but I dont think they turned out too bad. Not that I care, I have a large vintage 3ply maple kit that sounds phenomenal! Without a doubt, this is the best drum set that I have ever owned.

Sizes are 6,8,10,12,13,14,16,18, and 24. Snare is Supra 402. Heads are coated A's over coated A's with the exception of the 6,8, and 10 which are coated A's over coated diplomats. I needed a thinner head on the smaller toms since they are so shallow. Cymbals are all Paiste Signatures with the exception of one Sabian splash.

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

Last edited:
oooooohhhhh.......aaaaaaahhhhh!!!

I absolutely love that kit mate. It looks bloody fabulous. Would love to play it.....not sure I'd know what to do with all those toms though.

A real gem. Great job indeed. Very envious.

Really cool, and from my era. (I graduated from high school in '78). Is that a Sky Blue Pearl? It's hard to tell, but the old SBP turned kind of silver over time. Whatever it is, is really pretty. Thanks for the post!

oooooohhhhh.......aaaaaaahhhhh!!!

I absolutely love that kit mate. It looks bloody fabulous. Would love to play it.....not sure I'd know what to do with all those toms though.

A real gem. Great job indeed. Very envious.

That the beauty M8, you can do whatever you want with all those toms. It can be a bit overwhelming with a wall of toms, but I try to be disciplined when I practice to only hit what the sheet music or song calls for. I thought I loved my StarClassic Performer kit, but I will never own another drum set. I love this kit to death.

Really cool, and from my era. (I graduated from high school in '78). Is that a Sky Blue Pearl? It's hard to tell, but the old SBP turned kind of silver over time. Whatever it is, is really pretty. Thanks for the post!

Yes, it is Sky Blue Pearl. Age has mellowed it to a really pretty silver grey color.

Absolutely stunning kit.​
Thought I would share my 1976 Ludwig 3ply Classic maple kit. Early 1976 was the last year the 3 ply's were available and this kit has the hard to find 3ply toms that came in 6,8,10, and 12 sizes. I believe these toms were only made during 1975 and the first months of 1976 before Ludwig went to the 6ply shells. The smaller toms were originally concert toms, but I converted them to dual headed toms. The concert toms already had the bearing edges from the factory, so I added the lower hardware.
Yeah, if your gonna use split lugs, it is to be staggered. I have seen these shallow depth drums with Imperial lugs (probably owner mods, also).
I know the vintage gurus will be upset that I modified this kit, but I am a drum player, not a collector.
Hey man, your money .... your drums. Do with 'em what you want.​

Absolutely stunning kit.​
Yeah, if your gonna use split lugs, it is to be staggered. I have seen these shallow depth drums with Imperial lugs (probably owner mods, also).
Hey man, your money .... your drums. Do with 'em what you want.​

I had to pick the worst of two evils. If I would have gone with single lugs, I would have had visible holes, so I just did the split lugs. I bought heads for the concert toms before modifying them, but they were too dry with a very quick attack. They just didnt blend well with the rest of the kit. They really sound great now.

What a beauty!

Please accept a little personal remark: I find that the Gibraltar rack is somehow unfit for such an elegant set! In particular, that horizontal bar which almost covers the toms really hurts my sense of esthetic! But hey, I understand that in some way you just need it, so ...

Anyway: great kit!

What a beauty!

Please accept a little personal remark: I find that the Gibraltar rack is somehow unfit for such an elegant set! In particular, that horizontal bar which almost covers the toms really hurts my sense of esthetic! But hey, I understand that in some way you just need it, so ...

Anyway: great kit!

Unfortunately, I didnt have a room with enough space in the house to accommodate a kit this size. I already have a fairly large electronic kit in the house that I practice on, and the wife will only tolerate so much :) I work in that garage frequently with air tools and stuff on my vehicles, so I didn't want stands that an extension cord or air hose could get hung on and cause something to top over. Otherwise, I could have run stands on the sides and a rack in front.

Back