acrylic timbales?

charliejuson

I'm looking into building some acrylic timbales, just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? i would be having them to my right above my china most probably, i want 2 and then I'm going to have 4 acrylic octobans to my left and thought some acrylic timbales could fit in with the set up, I have no experience with timbales so any input is appreciated.

Also is there any "standard" sizes to timbales (diameter and depth) and what heads would you recommend?

thanks

I don't think there can really be such an animal. Most of the color or timbre of a timbale is due to the metal shell. I think an acrylic timbale would sound like a concert tom, not a timbale. Plus timbale beats often include hitting the sides of the shells. You wouldn't wanna do that with acrylics.

For sizes, 13" and 14" or 14" and 15" are the most common sizes.

I don't think there can really be such an animal. Most of the color or timbre of a timbale is due to the metal shell. I think an acrylic timbale would sound like a concert tom, not a timbale. Plus timbale beats often include hitting the sides of the shells. You wouldn't wanna do that with acrylics.

For sizes, 13" and 14" or 14" and 15" are the most common sizes.

Agreed wholly. Maybe it could work as a concert tom if they were made deep enough.

I've made some timbales from spun-fiberglass Blaemire shells. This one pictured is a 3x12 original Blaemire cutoff piece. It definitely is more timbale sounding than concert tom sounding.

Attachments

• Blaemire%2520timbale%2520014%2520(Small).jpg
    Blaemire%2520timbale%2520014%2520(Small).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 146
Back