Over exuberance - a time & a place?

If the audienc is having fun and the band are having fun, whts not to like? Thats what you were all there for is it not?

I had my back against a very hot fire / stove, & I'm sitting too on top of the kit.

If that's overplaying my band aren't being honest with me!

Nightmare scenario with the fire/stove, nothing worse than setting the guy who moves the most next to a heat source, best crash diet I've seen!

Hope you had a good fan on stage! The two lifesavers for a gigging drummer are a fan and drum mat.

No over-exuberance. You were playing in the moment and for the song. That song deserves an ending like that. Nice cross sticking btw. No derision here buddy.

Thoughts?

Well... it all seems perfectly normal to me, this is what I do all the time.

But hey, it must be my outgoing, larger than life, explosive and in your face character with a zest of egocentricity, anyone who knows me know that "over exuberance" is my middle name :)

Yes Andy, it was the time and the place, adrenalined performers and audience :)

Probably seemed a little frantic because the tempo was way too fast for that song!

DECAF!!!

I actually liked the trashcan ending!

If the audienc is having fun and the band are having fun, whts not to like? Thats what you were all there for is it not?
Yes, the fun element was steering everything at that gig, including rational music choices ;)

Nightmare scenario with the fire/stove, nothing worse than setting the guy who moves the most next to a heat source, best crash diet I've seen!
Not to mention gross drum detuning!

No over-exuberance. You were playing in the moment and for the song. That song deserves an ending like that. Nice cross sticking btw. No derision here buddy.
If it's being powered out, then yes, maybe I can get away with it.

Well... it all seems perfectly normal to me
I need to re-evaluate "normal" ;)

Probably seemed a little frantic because the tempo was way too fast for that song!

DECAF!!!

I actually liked the trashcan ending!
The band always play that song way up tempo & beyond. It seems to go down well enough. Fired Up are especially well known for completely bastardising songs to the point of complete purist disgust - hence their popularity ;)

Just sounded like some damn good drumming to me.

Live context is always a little more, well, 'lively'. You were right there with the rest of the band - that's all that really matters.

And the flourish at the end? Hell, why not? It's called a 'show' for a reason. I do that kind of stuff all the time (though not so well as you). Didn't seem out of place to me in the least.

Exuberant, or over exuberant? One has its place. Let's not confuse the two :)

This is illegal Andy and you know it!
Yes - I have both the taste & technique police chasing me down right now. I'm in hiding ;)

And the flourish at the end? Hell, why not? It's called a 'show' for a reason.
On that basis, I can almost forgive myself for that. End of set / encore song endings are pretty much the only place we can stretch out without getting fired! :) The video clip opening fill however - not only was it poorly played, it also ran right over the vocal - a sin indeed :(

Exuberant, or over exuberant? One has its place. Let's not confuse the two :)
Shamelessly guilty of both, & that's before I observe the band influenced rushing & generally sloppy timing / triplets :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Really you just wanted to show off your cross sticking ability in the nicest way possible. A thinly-veiled attempt I might add.

my favorite part is when you crashed the cymbals for the last time and stopped...

is that the prog kit?

That is one over exuberant drum kit-I suggest you tone it down. Maybe spray paint it grey. The audience seems pretty exuberant too-so I guess you fit right in. Awesome dude looks like your having fun. Next time where a Liberace outfit and really show them some sparkle.

Considering the energy level of both the crowd and the tune,letting it rip,and doing the "big rock show" ending,was just perfect.You showed the audience what a good band,and a good drummer. sounds like Andy

Steve B

You wanna know the truth Andy?

We're just jazzed to hear a set of GURU'S in action, in their element, amongst other instruments in a real world gig situation, we're not even paying attention to your playing for the most part.

You're actually the perfect demo dude, good enough, not too good, again a real world scenario to showcase the drums, and it is the drums we're paying attention to, what they (can) sound like in the in the mix.

So, more live gig's with GURU'S please! Play hard, play soft and everything in between. You're an experienced test pilot, we'll love anything you can show us your drums can do. Since Larry isn't filming 'his' GURU kit at live gig's, you're all we got man!

You wanna know the truth Andy?

We're just jazzed to hear a set of GURU'S in action, in their element, amongst other instruments in a real world gig situation, we're not even paying attention to your playing for the most part.

You're actually the perfect demo dude, good enough, not too good, again a real world scenario to showcase the drums, and it is the drums we're paying attention to, what they (can) sound like in the in the mix.

So, more live gig's with GURU'S please! Play hard, play soft and everything in between. You're an experienced test pilot, we'll love anything you can show us your drums can do. Since Larry isn't filming 'his' GURU kit at live gig's, you're all we got man!
Well, I'll take issue with your "good enough" assertion. I'm not even close to being good enough to show what these things can do. That's not me being self-effacing, it's just the plain truth.

As for good live band recordings of Guru drums, I'm painfully short on those. I don't normally process any of my recordings, but this one, I had to roll off the bottom end because the Zoom was sitting on top of a bass cab, & left flat, the bass guitar bottom end was bleeding over everything.

As for me demonstrating the drums, I am currently considering "appearing" in a new video for the Tour series, simply on the basis it's going to be a simple rock orientated video. My issue is that I don't want my lack of skills to distract from attention to the drum's sound. I'm still thinking that through. The last time I put up a demo with me playing, it attracted the usual range of harsh anonymous internet comments. The comments don't bother me personally, but the distraction element does.

I just dig that we have someone named "Keep it Simple" and "No Talent" talking about over exuberance.
Hahahaha - oxymorons abound ;) ;) ;)

my favorite part is when you crashed the cymbals for the last time and stopped...

is that the prog kit?
It's my favourite part too. Relief that my momentary stupidity is over :)

Yes, it's the prog kit.

That is one over exuberant drum kit-I suggest you tone it down. Maybe spray paint it grey.
I could paint the inside grey & make claims as to it's sonic benefits, but I can't see anyone believing that ;) ;) ;)

Considering the energy level of both the crowd and the tune,letting it rip,and doing the "big rock show" ending,was just perfect.

Steve B
It was "of the moment" Steve, & I suppose in that context, it did it's job. One day, I'll actually rehearse a stadium ending!

That's the time and the place for duggida-duggidas.
Ah yes, the comfort of the familiar duggida duggida - diggidadum!

Back