For the gigging drummers, what is your last song?

Old Time Rock & Roll and depending on the gig God Bless America

This list is quickly turning into "songs I never ever need to hear again", although I will admit I am guilty of playing some of them myself !

For our main set, we close with "Sweet Emotion". Then we do an encore of " Close to you", which I have no idea who sings that one, originally. Then, since 'close to you' is slow, we want to end on a 'bang', we finish with "Born to be wild', by Steppenwolf.

We end our night with Cortez the Killer by Neil Young. It's anepic slow jam song and we can stretch it out as long as we want to. In my other band we end with I'm only happy when it Rains by Garbage. A crowd pleaser but kinda boring for me. Oh well.

Motown/pop band = Soul Man
Rock band = Free Bird.........usually a way too long version! Of course, I could make a good argument that any version is too long!

We end our night with Cortez the Killer by Neil Young. It's anepic slow jam song and we can stretch it out as long as we want to. In my other band we end with I'm only happy when it Rains by Garbage. A crowd pleaser but kinda boring for me. Oh well.

Great - I love the version of "Cortez the Killer" that Dave Matthews Band played. Would love to play that song.

My usual band tends to end the night with "Empire State of Mind pt2" by Alicia Keys. It's a beautiful song.

My 90s cover band used to play Closing Time by Semisonic.

My other cover band would cover Dave Matthews version of All Along the Watchtower.

Great - I love the version of "Cortez the Killer" that Dave Matthews Band played. Would love to play that song.

Yep, that is a great version. As a hippy would say - I can dig it, man. I have our version on Youtube, but you'd have to listen to the whole concert because, as you know, it is the last song.

Typically either Closing Time or My Own Worst Enemy. Although the other night, we had a few couples left in the venue and played Wonderful Tonight for them.

The blues band I play with actually usually lets things down easy by playing Will The Circle Be Unbroken. Start out slow with brushes and as it picks up I usually migrate to the 2nd line thing Russel Bautiste did on Scofield's version of Cissy Strut. It fits nicely over a straight 2/4 groove. We may take it all the way up to a praise beat but usually just speed up the 2nd line a bit. Then bring it back down with an audience participation tacit part, then go out moderately.

Back