Afraid to sound bad?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
In the past, I often avoided playing things that I knew I couldn't execute well. I've just realized this can be a pretty bad thing.. So this is me thinking out loud for anyone that wants to contribute.

Tonight, I sat down to practice and I couldn't choose any music that I wanted to play along to, and I didn't want to do metronome stuff so I decided to play an open solo. I had the idea of playing a double stroke roll on the snare with some sort of Latin foot pattern (simple right?). Then I remembered I wasn't very good at starting off that way, I just like to come from a different angle and warm up to that type of thing. Something clicked and I just accepted that it might sound bad. It did, but then I got it 2nd go and went on to play and enjoy my solo.

It doesn't seem like a big deal but actually I think it is important to let yourself sound bad if that's the cost of trying something new. And somehow I'd forgotten that you have to start somewhere with each new idea, and often "somewhere" might be very mediocre. If I imagine each facet of my playing having a progress bar, I would see a few areas being quite developed, but also a whole bunch of others at very low levels, even 0%. I imagine I could speak more freely if those skills were distributed more evenly.

I saw Matt Halpern in a clinic a little while ago, and I really admired that he didn't sound perfect at all times, he didn't try to. All he had was kick, snare and hats, but he was free and musical and just really honest with himself and the audience. I think some other drummers out there would rely on everything feeling at least 99% or else they might not be able to create a good vibe.

So, my new policy is that if I think it, I will do it, or try to.

Practice what you're bad at and perform what you're good at. It's that simple.

That's one of the biggest fears of musicians, that they don't "sound good". It's a major shackle for sure. It's very confining. Like go down on the set and try to play badly, on purpose. It's hard to do, because it's something you never try to do normally. It's almost like you (not you Dre) can't allow yourself to sound bad, it feels wrong. Something inside just can't let go of that, the need to sound good. If you try and play bad on purpose, (at practice) it's kind of a giddy, freeing feeling that unlocks the shackles and very much opens the door right up to creativity.

What is "sounding good" consist of anyway? Who decides? If you go to the beach, there's the surf crashing, the seagulls screaming, kids yelling, radios blaring, all kinds of chaotic unrelated sounds going on. It sounds beautiful to me.

So go ahead and suck! Embrace the sheer suckiness. Be Sucky McSuckster.

I've been drumming for more years than most of the members of the forum have been alive. I am not saying I am a better drummer, just been doing it for a while. I can relate to what your saying about fear of failure, but not on the drums but singing while playing drums.

I was practicing with the band on Saturday and the two guitar players were working out a tune. I knew the song, but I did not know all the words. As they were playing it electrically, I kept telling myself to start to sing. I eventually did sing and projected over the amplified guitars and after we finished both guitar players were giving me a lot of compliments for what I had sung.

I believe what I did was to gain the respect of the other members and that has given me encouragement to move forward. Getting there respect I think has allowed me to make mistakes in the future as long as I can make progress. I am not sure how much progress I will make but, I am practicing singing while drumming, and I am trying to break through and sing more often. I know I have a voice, it is just a matter of projecting and playing the drums at the same time. I have sung before, but only once in a while.

Perhaps, your fear of failure could be overcome by getting the respect of those you are trying to play with and just by letting them realize that you have potential and will be making progress.

it's kind of a giddy, freeing feeling that unlocks the shackles and very much opens the door right up to creativity. What is "sounding good" consist of anyway? Who decides? So go ahead and suck! Embrace the sheer suckiness. Be Sucky McSuckster.

Great advice !
I agree. Free yourself.
Pretend you are a famous drummer and you can play however you like.

(However in the back of my mind I'm always worried that Uncle Larry might be in the audience.
You know how critical he can be when listening to other drummers.) LOL

In the past, I often avoided playing things that I knew I couldn't execute well....

My entire musical life has been spent trying to play things that I couldn't execute well. When you're a teenager and you really like Yes and ELP, guess what? Sonic carnage, that's what, but trying is the essence of succeeding.

Robert Fripp has a perfect quote on this which is taped to my office door:

Begin with the possible and work gradually towards the impossible.

My wife likes to say:

Do what you fear and you shall conquer your fear.

I used to be. All my practice is with a band, so I gotta try new stuff somehow. My band understands this and they know I'm gonna try some new things here and there so they don't press me about it. IMO, the most important thing is keeping the tempo/time going strong. (and what Bo said)

It's definitely a grown-up thing.

Look how readily young children paint and draw, and if you ask them what they want to be when they're older, many of them will say "An artist." Revisit them ten years later, and they won't pick up a pencil and they'll tell you they are useless at art. This is where it starts.

As adults, we see it as our job to be able to do things well. It's ridiculously difficult to regress to being imperfect. It's as if getting it wrong will infect all aspects of our lives.

But, as in all aspects of our lives, accepting and being accepted for what we are, warts and all, is gloriously liberating! Why should we have to apologise for not being the best in the world, when we are trying so hard to be as good as we can possibly be?

(However in the back of my mind I'm always worried that Uncle Larry might be in the audience.
You know how critical he can be when listening to other drummers.) LOL

Yeah. That Uncle Larry. The one who always manages to find something positive to say. Yeah, him <3

Oh man, you definitely should read Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. By the time you are done reading it you will realize that every sound you make is the most beautiful thing you've ever heard.

Miles Davis could play the most dissonant intervals that would sound terrible played by almost anyone else. But, when Miles played them, they sounded right because Miles played them.

I actually got hold of the book just recently, I got 30 pages in and then I scored a job so I just haven't had the time or energy to read the thing. Who knows, maybe I read something in those 30 pages that planted the seed. Thanks for humouring me folks.

Back