Review: DW Go Anywhere Practice Kit

davidr

Hi guys, just got the DW Go Anywhere practice kit, so I thought I'd post a little review. I know people have reviewed it before, but there are details that I couldn't find when I was looking into the kit that I thought I would share.

First thing to say is that I already love this kit having had it for a day. It's great to be able to practice sticking patterns that I can then take to a kit. Anyway, here are some pros and cons:

PROS

The kit is well build and very sturdy.

It is fairly adjustable both in terms of the arms and the pedal attachment.

The pads have a nice feel to them. They are firmer than an HQ Real Feel. I am considering making a kind of towel cover for the floor tom because it rebounds way more than an actual floor tom.

There are two 10" pads for snare and floor tom, and two 8" ones for ride and rack tom (although obviously these can be used to represent different set ups e.g. three toms). Probably the most pleasantly surprising thing is that because of the different size pads and I think because of the different length arms, the pads all have a different pitch. This is more noticeable between the different sized pads, but is still there between pads of the same size. This allows you to imagine the final sound of a fill a little better and is useful in terms of hearing the distribution/balance of different stickings (if that makes sense).

The practice pads can be used separately and have optional little rubber feet for this purpose. A separate attachment can also be bought to attach them to cymbal stands for a standalone pad.

The kit comes with memory locks, making it easy to set up quickly.

CONS

The pads on this kit are loud for practice pads. They are about twice as loud as my HQ Real Feel pad. They are not quite as loud as E-kit rubber pads I have used, but they are not as quiet as mesh heads. In some ways this is good, since as I mentioned, they have different pitches, so it is useful to get some sound out of them.

Although the kit is described as portable, it is heavy. I would say it weighs as much as a couple of double braced boom stands. It does break down to be fairly small, but I would want a small case with wheels to carry it around. Maybe I'm just weak, I don't know.

The kit is adjustable, but only to a degree. For some people I imagine it can perfectly replicate their kit, but for others like me it cannot. I play jazz and the ride cymbal cannot be lowered to be flat and low as I would have it. It does go low enough for how a lot of people including jazz cats have it, but not as much as some others have it. This is not a huge problem as long as you treat it as a separate tool for practicing sticking etc. rather than a perfect simulation of a kit. This is a problem with electric kits as well, but I would say that my old TD9KV is about 25% more adjustable. To get the position I wanted, I had to turn some of the clamps round to the other side of the stand, which means that the memory locks, which only lock on one side of the clamp, become redundant. Not an issue for me as I won't be moving it, but it may be for some people. The arms are different lengths and it is possible that by using them in configurations other than that recommended, I could get a better set-up, we'll see. The snare arm has an adjuster(?) at the end like a boom stand which is great for me because I play traditional grip with the snare tilted away from me. However, I have the snare arm extended fully to get the snare where I would have it and it is still a little short.

The pads are made of a kind of rubber that squeaks when you run a stick along it. This has the consequence that when moving between pads, if your stick is moving sideways at all it can get caught on the pad's surface. This is pretty annoying because it is not like a drum head and can get in the way. Also not great for press roles which move horizontally. I'm hoping the pads will become smoother with a bit of wear. [PARTIALLY SOLVED: with a tea towel over the heads, this phenomenon is alleviated. When I make towel attachments for the heads, this won't be an issue, although not everyone will want to towel all their practice pads, obviously.]

To move the ride pad down, I had to push the clamp down the stand, which tore up the DW sticker and left sticker residue all the way down the stand. A little bit annoying. [SOLVED: Since the ride is the top most pad, just moving the whole central pillar down instead alleviates this problem.

CONCLUSION

The DW Go Anywhere Practice Kit is an excellent tool that does exactly what it claims to do, namely provide an approximation of a drum kit set up using practice pads. As long as this is borne in mind, then you will not be disappointed. If you play jazz, then you might want to do what I intend to do, which is to set my hats up on their stand with a silencer between them and on top of them, giving you the basic jazz setup. If you play rock you might find there are too few pads to simulate your kit and you will be reminded again that this is a practice tool, not a full simulation of a kit. Final tip: buy a long drum key because arms that are next to each other can stop the key turning when trying to tighten them where they attach to the central pillar.

I bought this kit for £150 delivered next day from wembley drum centre, who price matched GAK (excellent service btw) and I would say that this is about right for the kit in terms of build quality and thoughtfulness involved in the product. Obviously having only had it a day, I can not comment on its durability, but if anything goes wrong I will post further.

David

Last edited:
Just got one on Craigs and I was shocked at how bouncy the bass drum beater pad is. Going to need a towel on it or something. Might also be a little technique but its hard to get a single hit with it. Running felt side of a dw beater.

I agree with everything you said and its a very accurate review.

Just got one on Craigs and I was shocked at how bouncy the bass drum beater pad is. Going to need a towel on it or something.

Yeah I know. I've played every kind of practice pad or e kit and I swear the bass drum has never been successfully emulated. Probably a full size 20" mesh head loosely fitted would be ok. Don't know how long it would last though and I'm sure it would be pretty cumbersome.

As for the DW kit, I'm thinking of making an elasticated towel thing, a bit like a shower cap that fits over the pads e.g. floor tom and bass drum. Hopefully that will reduce the bounciness on these surfaces. I'll post my results. Also might try the softest available beater

I have two options; buying the 'DW Go Anywhere', or a 12" HQ Real Feel along with a bass drum practice pad from Gibraltar. Which one would you choose?

I have two options; buying the 'DW Go Anywhere', or a 12" HQ Real Feel along with a bass drum practice pad from Gibraltar. Which one would you choose?

I have the HQ 6" Real Feel. It's a really nice pad, but it's not that much better than the DW pads, just a little quieter. I can't speak for the Gibralter bass pad but again I would be surprised if it is much better than the DW pad. A bass drum pad like these two is not going to really allow you to build kick techniques, which relies on the feel of a drum, but it allows you to practice playing patterns between hands and feet. Given that this is the main use of such a pad, the DW kit is a better option because you get slightly worse snare pad (which is still just my opinion anyway) and probably equivalent bass drum pad PLUS the other drums. The DW kit allows you to practice fills and lock them into muscle memory, which is essential if you want to incorporate them into your playing and is not really available with the practice pad and bass pad combination. Sure you can lock the sticking into your MM, but fills are also about movement in your shoulders for which you need differently placed pads. I say go for DW practice kit.

Mesh heads

If you're not into switching-out your acoustic sets heads, find a real cheap beater set, all it needs to have is functioning top heads/rims (and bas drum spurs) etc.

Mesh heads are quieter w/more real world response than the DW rubber set, plus you get to set distances like your acoustic set, way more practical.

Mesh heads

If you're not into switching-out your acoustic sets heads, find a real cheap beater set, all it needs to have is functioning top heads/rims (and bas drum spurs) etc.

Mesh heads are quieter w/more real world response than the DW rubber set, plus you get to set distances like your acoustic set, way more practical.

I really don't like mesh heads myself. They're bouncy as hell and you don't get the crisp note of a practice pad which allows you to nail timing. Just my opinion

I feel like I have to chime in on this old topic because I just bought and returned my Go Anywhere kit today and I'm glad I did!
It's not ajustable enough.
It's too bloody expensive ...$197 out the door
I could never figure out how to attach my bass drum pedals to the thing.
I ended up buying the SP A09 pictured here, ($53) and utilized some extra cymbal stands to mount some Vater Pads pictured here as well.
I'm just gonna add a few more 12" pads mounted on snare stands in the near future.
This'll provide much more flexibility in the placement department.
I would not recommend the Go Anywhere to anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 859
I'm presently using one of these, so I will chime in. I had a Roland TD-20 kit. While it was pretty cool, I only used it for practice and therefore only scratched the surface of what it could do. In short, I was wasting it's potential and my money. Plus, I like to practice brushes, which you can't do with a mesh head well and while the V-11 hi hat was ok, it did not give me the control or subtleties I want to practice. I sold the Roland for 1,300.00 which is what I paid for it used.

I found an incomplete DW pad set (missing one small pad and arm) on CL, so I bargained the seller down to 70 bucks. I actually only use the two 10" pads for the rack and floor toms. I have an old 13" snare shell that I only put a top head on and have it in a snare stand. For pad work, I put my Aquarian True Bounce pad on it. BTW, I find that pad to be the BEST pad for accurate snare head bounce response. Not too bouncy like most of the gum rubber ones are. I just take it off if I want to work with brushes.

The Zildjian Low-volume cymbals work perfectly with the pad set. I have a 20" and 14" hats. I also put some Sound-off pads on top of the DW pads and keep them in place with a strip of double stick tape. More accurate tom rebound and quieter.

I will agree that if DW just went to regular clamps and boom cymbal arms (like we all use) with a modified thread for their pads, it would be a vast improvement over the current system in terms of getting the pads in position.

IMO, the Zildjian low volume are perfect for this set, but the Sabian versions sound awful to my ears.

I'm presently using one of these, so I will chime in. I had a Roland TD-20 kit. While it was pretty cool, I only used it for practice and therefore only scratched the surface of what it could do. In short, I was wasting it's potential and my money. Plus, I like to practice brushes, which you can't do with a mesh head well and while the V-11 hi hat was ok, it did not give me the control or subtleties I want to practice. I sold the Roland for 1,300.00 which is what I paid for it used.

I found an incomplete DW pad set (missing one small pad and arm) on CL, so I bargained the seller down to 70 bucks. I actually only use the two 10" pads for the rack and floor toms. I have an old 13" snare shell that I only put a top head on and have it in a snare stand. For pad work, I put my Aquarian True Bounce pad on it. BTW, I find that pad to be the BEST pad for accurate snare head bounce response. Not too bouncy like most of the gum rubber ones are. I just take it off if I want to work with brushes.

The Zildjian Low-volume cymbals work perfectly with the pad set. I have a 20" and 14" hats. I also put some Sound-off pads on top of the DW pads and keep them in place with a strip of double stick tape. More accurate tom rebound and quieter.

I will agree that if DW just went to regular clamps and boom cymbal arms (like we all use) with a modified thread for their pads, it would be a vast improvement over the current system in terms of getting the pads in position.

IMO, the Zildjian low volume are perfect for this set, but the Sabian versions sound awful to my ears.

yeah, DW really screwed the pooch on this one.
Trying to save money and make it cheaper by using that weird hardware that doesn't even hardley adjust at all.
I'm really getting sick of cheap gear.
I remember when it was blatantly obvious what gear was garbage and what gear was pro level.
Now there's too many brands making too many price and quality levels of too many options of gear.

Last week, I spent days and days, researching, to buy my first new double pedal in 25 years.

My head started to cave in.
I just had to pull the cord and take a gamble with something because I didn't want to think about it anymore!
lol

Now I've got a $620 pearl pedal still in the box, because I'm scared to scratch it at the gig!

lol

Back