Ringo Starr... Good or bad?

What happened to Ringo in the later years? I saw him live at Bangladesh at the early show, and he was playing with another drummer. He did not use his right foot. This became a standard when Ringo played live, he always had another drummer playing with him and did not play with his right foot, at least not that I was able to see..

Did Ringo get injured in some way where he was unable to use his right foot? I hope I am not being offensive or saying anything disrespectful towards Ringo, but something happened to him after he left the Beatles.

Did you not ever see him live with Ringos Traveling Allstars?The vids are all over youtube.Yes,he uses his right foot,but sometimes plays heel down,so there is very little motion.

Injured.....NOOOOOO.

What happened to Ringo after the Beatles is he played on numerous studio albums,not just with other Beatles,but with guys like Peter Frampton,in Framptons Camel.

He also has been touring for decades with hif All Star Band,and has numerous studio albums out.

Ringo dosen't ALWAYS,play with another drummer,but it helps when you're the frontman with your own band.

No offence,but have you been under a rock?

Steve B

Look how hard he is rocking out. This was 1964! Also surprised to see those fills on I Wanna Hold Your Hand are not two-handed, but played as unisons on floor tom and snare.

He is so, so, so important. The people who don't get that are ignorant. I used to be one of them, but my eyes opened up eventually.

Ditto. I didn't think much of the old Ring back in the day - at the time I was starting out in the 70s there were all these great classic rock, prog and fusion drummers who were more enticing role models for an over-excitable teen :)

It took till later that I realised 1) that composition is as important as performance and 2) that what he played was harder than it seemed. Those unison fills are a perfect example. If he played those same notes as singles rather than unisons it would have been a hero fill. He could have played a hero fill but consciously chose to play the bar with the band - that pretty well summarises Ringo to me.

Tomorrow Never Knows is, to me, one of the finest examples of Ringo's innovation. The naysayers would never have approached this tune as Ringo did, and prolly added fills to kill the feel.

Actually, it was a tape loop. It's a great bar of drumming to loop, but that's the reason why there are no variations. Simon Phillips did an amazing job in 801's cover of TNK. So the song can work with the drums either playing a trance ostinato or with variations flowing underneath.

Actually, it was a tape loop. It's a great bar of drumming to loop, but that's the reason why there are no variations.

Wow. The Beatles' drum loop is so much more tasty than the BeeGees drum loop. And was done more than 10 years prior.

I really enjoyed Ringo's playing when he was with the Fab Four. Afterwards, not so much. I think this had to do with their chemistry as a band, and the music they wrote. Even George Martin said that when all four of them were together in the studio, the results were far better then when it was just one, two or three of them.

Take a look at this video, from 1964, and check out how high his thone is. And also the way he plays his hats, with that "tennis racquet" motion. That always slays me.

Plus, as he's pounding his kit, the chicks are going wild. That never happens with me.

With that rotating platform he's playing on, I'm surprised that he and his drums didn't go flying off during one of those songs.

And by the way, Ringo was really rockin' it.!!

. Those unison fills are a perfect example. If he played those same notes as singles rather than unisons it would have been a hero fill. He could have played a hero fill but consciously chose to play the bar with the band - that pretty well summarises Ringo to me.

Hero fill? Never heard of that. origin of the name?
You're meaning the parochial 8ths from snare tp the toms?

Hero fill? Never heard of that. origin of the name?
You're meaning the parochial 8ths from snare tp the toms?

I doubt the term is common usage - I read the term at DW years ago and it stuck.

Basically, my point was that you can play 8th note as unison strokes or twice-as-fast 16ths - and it's the same stick speed. The latter seems more impressive to laypersons and noobs but it's no harder to do and may not be the best option for the music.

I love the DIY approach back in the days of the Washington gig. These days it would be thought unprofessional in a concert because it would affect "the illusion", though Beatles gigs were surreal enough, no matter what they did. I'd love David Attenborough to do a piece on Beatles concerts ... "the deafening high pitched noises you hear are the mating call of young female homo sapiens in a flood of sexual frenzy. Their efforts, while vigorous, are almost always in vain because the band members are only able to mate with a select few ..."

Last edited:
Did you not ever see him live with Ringos Traveling Allstars?The vids are all over youtube.Yes,he uses his right foot,but sometimes plays heel down,so there is very little motion.

Injured.....NOOOOOO.

What happened to Ringo after the Beatles is he played on numerous studio albums,not just with other Beatles,but with guys like Peter Frampton,in Framptons Camel.

He also has been touring for decades with hif All Star Band,and has numerous studio albums out.

Ringo dosen't ALWAYS,play with another drummer,but it helps when you're the frontman with your own band.

No offence,but have you been under a rock?

Steve B

Well where do we begin? Tamadrm, did not provide links or videos to prove his point, so I took his advice and quickly did a search on the internet for Ringo's Travling Allstars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI1AhczKvwA

As painful as it was, I watched this video. However, any drummer can see that Ringo is not playing as much in the song as the two other percussionists are. He is struggling and he is not singing lead or even back-up in this video. It seems that his contribution to the video is the name “Ringo Starr.”

The front head of the bass drum moves rarely, indicating that he is not playing the bass drum as much as the song would demand. Once in a while in the shots you see him playing from behind with a heel up position. And even then, it is a fraction of what is demanded of the song. But, there is another drummer in the video. As a matter of fact there are more video shots of the other drummer from behind then of Ringo from behind. If you look at what the other drummer is playing and look at what Ringo is playing, you can see that Ringo is not playing a key role in the song.

Ringo sits high on the thrown an indication that he is a heel up drummer. The video earlier in the thread shows him as a heel up drummeras well. How many drummers change their style that drastically over the years?

Frampton’s Camel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jns9oJFA3AI&list=RDjns9oJFA3AI#t=10

This Frampton video is no evidence to prove your point. There are a few screen shots of Ringo when he is duplicating a fill along with the other drummer. How is this evidence that Ringo is not injured? His playing is sparse and weak, not what is demanded of the song.

Here are a few albums of Ringo’s. These are studio albums using other drummers.

Beaucoups of Blues -- DJ Fontana played drums, as well as Ringo (Studio album).
Sentimental Journey -- Personnel is the George Martin Orchestra, Ringo is listed as vocals (Studio album).
Goodnight Vienna -- Jim Keltner played drums, as well as Ringo (Studio album).
Ringo the 4th -- Steve Gadd played drums, as well as Ringo (Studio album).
Ringo -- Jim Keltner played the drums, as well as Ringo (Studio album).
Stop & Smell the Roses --Jim Keltner played drums, as well as Ringo (Studio album).
Old Wave -- Peter Bunetta, Russ Kunkel played the drums, Ray Cooper, Sam Clayton, Joe Lala, played percussion, and Ringo played drums and percussion. (Studio album).
Vertical Man -- Steven Tyler played drums as well as Ringo (Studio album).

There are a few studio albums that do not have another drummer besides Ringo. However, it is the studio, and with time in the studio, and injured right foot can be over dubbed.

Ringo Rama—Wikipedia does not credit another drummer, however the video does show at least one other drummer playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXqKo16PMPY

Time takes time—Ringo played drums in the studio, no other drummer is credited on this album. However, the video of Ringo Rama above, has at least one other drummer not credited on Wikipedia, therefore the personnel listings are not conclusive on the listings where Ringo is the only drummer are also questionable.

You are smoking rubber bands.He gets credit for the Frampton album, on the album cover,and if you just listen to it,you can tell it's Ringo.

He is NOT a heel up drummer all the time.Watching a single vid is not evidence of you're BS claim.

Their are no vids of Ringo playing with Framptons Camel,what the hell are you looking at?

Sudio albums...Ringo DID play ...no?BTW...the vid you posted is NOT Framptons Camel,it's Ringos Traveling All Stars.Try looking up the "Wind Of Change" album,where Ringo plays on 2 cuts.

There is NO injured right foot.Please post evidence of the ingury or stop waving it around like you actually have proof it's really a fact.You're just making crap up to support your BS claims.

You find his claims questionable,but offer no evidence to the contrary.More BS.Give it a break already.

Your claims still indicate you've been under a rock,if you're asking what he's done after the Beatles

Steve B

Last edited:
Let's all get on 70-year-old Ringo's case for not being able to play parts that 25-year-old Ringo wrote. I'll write him a letter once I'm finished giving BB-King a piece of my mind. FFS.

Atuk Poo-Kah!

MFcaveman-a.jpg

I'm not sure what peoples obessions is with knocking down high profile drummers.

Ringo
Peart
Lars

If someone's high profile in the drumming world, OHMYGAWD, someone has to come along and constantly bash them.

Really makes no sense.

I'm not sure what peoples obessions is with knocking down high profile drummers. If someone's high profile in the drumming world, OHMYGAWD, someone has to come along and constantly bash them.

I have been guilty of this.
But I try not to "bash" them.
Sometimes we are just evaluating their playing and others think it is bashing.

Don't we all judge other musicians when we hear them play?
I think it is a human trait that is unavoidable.

I might judge the guy in the band that comes before or after us at some festival or event. Check out well he plays to a song, or if he's just trying to lay down licks and impress others.

But, for example, the first time I heard Cobham's Spectrum, I stopped the record at about the time Bolin entered the tune, got up, turned out all the lights, lit a fat one, and enjoyed the entire album. No judgement, just pure enjoyment.

I totally agree. When someone says "I don't judge people"....maybe they don't realize that they are not being entirely truthful with themselves. Everybody judges, it's tied in to your survival mechanism. You can't separate it out. I do it constantly because I can't help it. So does everyone. It's unavoidable. When you drop your kids off at a new friends home to play, you are definitely judging everything you can see, including the parents.

cbphoto, love your avi.

tamadrum,

We are having a discussion, not a war, I see no reason for you to attack me personally by asking if I am smoking rubber bands. Tama, you have to understand that you did not provide any links when you made your claims about Ringo's recordings and concerts. I do apologize if I made an error in citing the incorrect website. I was trying to prove what you had claimed without you providing any support and you made it more difficult by not giving any facts to your claims. Please forgive me. However, I would request that if you are going to make a statement, an argument, I would appreciate it if you would show some proof of your claims the next time you post back to me.

As you have noticed, I tried to post facts to back up what I claimed. And I have claimed something very simple. I claimed that "SOMETHING HAPPENED TO RINGO AFTER HE LEFT THE BEATLES AND HE MAY HAVE AN INJURY SINCE THAT TIME."

I did not say anything about Ringo being a bad drummer. Many people have injuries in their lives.

I presented the facts about Ringo with many albums where he had other drummers playing with him to show that he was unable to do the job completely by himself. I do apologize for posting the one video that of being Frampton’s Camel. However, you have not posted any corrected web site that shows this concert, and in my own defense I am just searching for what you had presented on the thread. The correct, and proper response would have been for you to post the correct link. You had two opportunities to present this link or any link, but you decided not to post any links.

You will also notice that I spent the time searching through Ringo's recordings, and his live performances to qualify my position in this debate. Unfortunately, you have not presented any facts, and have just accused me of smoking rubber bands, what ever the heck that means.

I would suggest that if you care to have a debate, you should qualify your statements with facts, instead of just throwing insults towards me for simply saying "Did Ringo get injured in some way where he was unable to use his right foot?" I can think of worse things to ask or say about a drummer after he left the most famous band in history.

I have been guilty of this.
But I try not to "bash" them.
Sometimes we are just evaluating their playing and others think it is bashing.

Judge, do you like it, yes, or no, sure, we all do that.

But the extent of the bashing and debating over a few drummers is well out of proportion compared to all the drummers out there, all the music out there, and all the people that could be discussed.

It seems the extreme bashing is reserved for just a few.

For a while, you couldn't even mention Ringo, Peart, Lars or even Stewart Copeland around here without someone go off on a tirade, much drama, and someone eventually ended up getting banned.

Just about anyone else, people say yay, nay, or whatever, and move on. lol.

I've always liked Ringos playing - he can nail a song...and like has been said above....he plays for the song....very well.
He happens to be the wealthiest drummer in the world from what I've read. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

gary

Judge, do you like it, yes, or no, sure, we all do that.

But the extent of the bashing and debating over a few drummers is well out of proportion compared to all the drummers out there, all the music out there, and all the people that could be discussed. It seems the extreme bashing is reserved for just a few.
Just about anyone else, people say yay, nay, or whatever, and move on. lol.

Yes, I agree with you.
I am thinking that if you are a famous musician, people will scrutinize and analyze your playing more often.

(I hope you guys discuss and bash my playing when I finally get around to posting a sample of it. That will make me feel famous........ LOL)

tamadrum,

We are having a discussion, not a war, I see no reason for you to attack me personally by asking if I am smoking rubber bands. Tama, you have to understand that you did not provide any links when you made your claims about Ringo's recordings and concerts. I do apologize if I made an error in citing the incorrect website. I was trying to prove what you had claimed without you providing any support and you made it more difficult by not giving any facts to your claims. Please forgive me. However, I would request that if you are going to make a statement, an argument, I would appreciate it if you would show some proof of your claims the next time you post back to me.

As you have noticed, I tried to post facts to back up what I claimed. And I have claimed something very simple. I claimed that "SOMETHING HAPPENED TO RINGO AFTER HE LEFT THE BEATLES AND HE MAY HAVE AN INJURY SINCE THAT TIME."

I did not say anything about Ringo being a bad drummer. Many people have injuries in their lives.

I presented the facts about Ringo with many albums where he had other drummers playing with him to show that he was unable to do the job completely by himself. I do apologize for posting the one video that of being Frampton’s Camel. However, you have not posted any corrected web site that shows this concert, and in my own defense I am just searching for what you had presented on the thread. The correct, and proper response would have been for you to post the correct link. You had two opportunities to present this link or any link, but you decided not to post any links.

You will also notice that I spent the time searching through Ringo's recordings, and his live performances to qualify my position in this debate. Unfortunately, you have not presented any facts, and have just accused me of smoking rubber bands, what ever the heck that means.

I would suggest that if you care to have a debate, you should qualify your statements with facts, instead of just throwing insults towards me for simply saying "Did Ringo get injured in some way where he was unable to use his right foot?" I can think of worse things to ask or say about a drummer after he left the most famous band in history.

There is NO evidence about Ringo being injured after the Beatles break up.You however provinde NO evidence of your claim.that he may have been.Your claims are factless acusations,and mearly speculation on your part,but you require that I support,and that I provide links/evidence,when you provide ....none,to support your position.Really?And since when did the internet, become definitive proof........of anything?Because it's on the net ...then it must be so?That's a joke.

So you are basically saying,do as I say,....not as I do....aren't you?You claims are speculative,and uninformed ......at best,yet by your own admission,you are ignorant of Ringos activity,....post Beatles,by your own account by your first post.Prehaps,you should re-read it.

Smoking rubber bands is just that.It illustrates just how ridiculous a statement can be.Oh.....,thats right.....that's right,I heard that Ringo became a neurosurgeon after leaving the Beatles.That statement carries as much veracity are your first post on the subject,yet you still try to defend your position.

Again,re-read my post,where I specifically stated that Ringo,played on the STUDIO album,of Framptons Camel,so there would be,..... zero concert footage of this event.Just look up the album,"Wind of Change",and it credits Ringo with playing drums on it.No links.....just use Google,that's what it's there for.That was my whole point.I stated,..... he played on numerous STUDIO albums,post Beatles as to support my position as to what he did during that period.........and still does.

As to other drummers being utilized on his solo albums..........so what?Does that mean he couldn't play the parts?NO,it dosen't,and it's again,..... a baseless claim.Did Steely Dan use other studio guitarists,like Larrry Carlton on some cuts....even though Walter Becker, is an outstanding guitar player?Yes ......they did.

For someone not knowing WHAT ,Ringo did after the Beatles(as evidenced by your first post),you're making a whole bunch of speculative assumptions.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back