Minimalist Stripped down kits and the music that is played on them

John Stanier from "Battles" keeps things pretty simple , too, and I like his drumming a lot.

battles-01.jpg

I played 4 pc with 2 cymbals for about 25 years. I would call this basic and ALL you really need. It does come down to the music being performed ofcourse. The mega tom out fits with 5 toms and more is for show because pop music doesn't call for it at all. Its like the guitar player with Marshall stacks but only one cab is active and its powered by a 75wtts of tube Fender. If you bring a BIG set you better be be able to move on it and do it well or your just a fool. If your bands music calls for a strong pocket and your sitting there with a 8 piece drum kit to me your all about show and that usually means theres not much GO!!
Doc

When I was in a punk band I played a 5 piece Rockstar in our practice studio with a few cymbals, but when we played a gig I would leave the 12" tom behind. I also only played with one crash, one ride and hi-hats. This was mostly the idea of the guitarist because he wanted to project a minimalist image.

Looks liek that drummer from that Deerhoof link (sick name...?) is playing 2 rides put together like a set of huge hats?

Am i crazy? he started by muting it a little with his hand while tapping on it. hard to tell

Looks liek that drummer from that Deerhoof link (sick name...?) is playing 2 rides put together like a set of huge hats?

Am i crazy? he started by muting it a little with his hand while tapping on it. hard to tell

Yeah......he does use 2 rides as hats.

First of all, let me say that I dug all three of those tunes. Thanks for sharing!

I love the whole array of drum set configurations, ranging from tiny to Bozzio. There's room for all of it in my world. I like the variety, and each has its place.

I dig the creativity from the Low drummer. She's got the two-piece with the floor tom serving as bass drum and she's using a brush in the right hand for the ride cymbal and a mallet in the left hand for the "bass" drum." That's very cool and it sounds good!

Back