Professional responsibility

Any one who believes that cutting edge teaching in the percussion world is found on the internet is really misguided. None of America's great teachers can be found teaching on the internet. It just doesn't happen.

Anyone who believes that the ability to impart knowledge and the subsequent ability to learn from it, is directly proportional to the size of a cheque paid to an Ivy League type institution is even more misguided.......or just desperately trying to justify the cost to themselves.

There are many roads that lead to Rome. I find your continual belittlement of the many others one could successfully travel downright perplexing. And the continual need for you to diminish them just screams of a level of insecurity that's unsurpassed.

I'll be honest.
I don't really ever watch "Drum Videos" on You Tube.
I know few of the online teachers and "You Tube Stars".
That kind of stuff doesn't appeal to me.

That being said, I keep a close eye on the pulse of the music world, and am typically one of the first guys who knows when "Drummer X" quits or is fired from a group.

As a teacher I also keep an eye on new books and materiel being released, though I do have a stable of tried and true method books that I use on a regular basis with my students.

I'll be honest.
I don't really ever watch "Drum Videos" on You Tube.
I know few of the online teachers and "You Tube Stars".
That kind of stuff doesn't appeal to me.

That being said, I keep a close eye on the pulse of the music world, and am typically one of the first guys who knows when "Drummer X" quits or is fired from a group.

As a teacher I also keep an eye on new books and materiel being released, though I do have a stable of tried and true method books that I use on a regular basis with my students.

This thread has got a little twisted but a good discussion nonetheless.

I never suggested that there are great teachers on youtube and none in the real world. What i did say was that if you are entering into a world where there are competitors...should you know your market. Answer seems to be yes.

So Nick - if you were beginning to start doing YouTube/Skype/Subscription based lessons would you find out what everyone else in this world was doing?

D

This thread has got a little twisted but a good discussion nonetheless.

I never suggested that there are great teachers on youtube and none in the real world. What i did say was that if you are entering into a world where there are competitors...should you know your market. Answer seems to be yes.

So Nick - if you were beginning to start doing YouTube/Skype/Subscription based lessons would you find out what everyone else in this world was doing?

D

Finding out what others are doing is one thing, doing what others are doing to be able to compete is another, right?

Production is a gamble, and one must consider if they want to do that, which is an expense to be considered before you even do anything that has to do with what you're teaching. Some guys have the well-lit studios and can easily do three-camera shots and have really cool graphics and all that - which is really what one must do to attract people to the web to check out what you have to offer. Methinks alot of drum teachers, just aren't prepared to do that sort of thing.

And I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. The crux of teaching is getting the student to do for himself and learn, and there have already been tried and tested methods before the internet ever came along. I just offer the analogy of Luke Skywalker training with Yoda in that swamp, as opposed to if he was to study at the vaunted Jedi Academy before Darth Vader killed them all. There's still something old-skool in me that says a student visiting with his teacher in a cramped back room, sweating out his lessons, or excelling, is much better than studying when they want to on-line with slick production values. If you really want to do it, you'll do anything to learn. And I think that's where most old-skool teachers are. It certainly was that way when I got to take a couple of lessons with Ed Shaughnessy - the man absolutely kicked my ass in two hours over what I should be doing and how I should be doing it, and he was right. I'm not sure if I would've gotten that kind of analysis and feedback had I studied with him online, and for the money I spent, I want direct feedback in my face.

Good teachers don't really need internet production, I guess. And if they're basically passing along information that's been out there for eons, is there anything really new being taught? I always joked that the title of "Modern Drummer" is only cool if the job ever changed ;)

Back