Which kit should I choose ? Basix vs Ludwig

aztech

I presently have a "BASIX" CU106 kit (7ply birch I believe). 12-13-16-22 worth here about $415 tx incl I paid $200

I have the opportunity to get a "Ludwig" (8 ply?). 10-12-14-20 worth here about $500 tx incl I can get one used for $200

I know they are both entry level kits.
I play Classic Rock in my basement purely for the pleasure of it (i'm actually a keyboard player...) I will go and try it out but I would like your inputs to see if it would be worth while to
change from Basix to Ludwig or is the quality too similar and its not worth it?

Any thoughts on the subject appreciated Thanks ! :)

Well I would probably go with a more name brand if given the opportunity, that's just me. But if you are just playing for personal gain and entertainment, go with the kit that you think suits you best. Also, is the person selling the Ludwig willing to take a trade on your old kit, that is always a nice way to go as well.

But yeah, I have never heard of the kit that you have, so going with a brand name sounds like a better option. That way you can re sell it better and find upgrades and parts for it in the future.

I'm torn between the two sets.
I like Ludwig and its name and popularity
but I like a bigger set and sound of the "Basix" 22" Base drum 16" floor tom
versus the Ludwig 20" and 14" am I wrong to think that ? I don't know ... Opinions ?

I'm torn between the two sets.
I like Ludwig and its name and popularity
but I like a bigger set and sound of the "Basix" 22" Base drum 16" floor tom
versus the Ludwig 20" and 14" am I wrong to think that ? I don't know ... Opinions ?

Those sizes (20" kick and 14" floor) are better suited for Jazz. I play Ludwig myself, but I'd say stick with what you have until you can get a deal on a kit with the right sizes for Classic Rock.

I figured it was more for jazz But i read a lot of people say a 20"could be just as powerful but more focused even in rock.what I like less is 10 +12 toms versus my 12+13.I guess i could add a 13" on a stand to the Ludwig but thats extra cost :-(

If that Ludwig is an "entry level" kit, it was most probably made somewhere here in Asia, and possibly even the same factory as the Basix. Save yourself the time and effort. Keep the Basix and play the hell out of it until you are ready to move on to a better quality kit.

Unless you plan on up-grading to a "used" pro level kit ... I'd stick with the "Basix" ... they're at least the sizes that you want ...​

I guess i could keep the Basix a while longer and upgrade to
a used intermediate or Pro level kit a little later.
I'll start checking out the adds but which brand to get used under $1000
for a deep powerful defined classic Rock sound a Tama , Sonor , some other brand ?

Back