My Tama Starclassic Bubingas

Before going into the details of the drums and hardware specs (and being a fairly new member to this forum), I feel like a brief introduction and back-story would be beneficial to set the stage for my new kit. For the past twelve years, I have slowly expanded my first drum set, a 5 piece Pearl Export, adding more and more cymbals, and eventually a rack, double pedal and the like. It got to the point where I couldn't really build it up anymore and, combined with the age of the drums and the fact that they were entry-level, it got me considering a new set.

The idea to get a new mid- to upper-level kit had been floating around in my head for awhile but I wasn't really sure what I wanted. With the Kit Constructor program and DW's Kitbuilder, I had thrown together some ideas without really taking it too seriously, viewing them more as "dream sets". Over the last year or two, I began looking at those setups and really putting some thought into what aspects I wanted to keep. After finalizing the specs I wanted, I was able to place my order with a local Tama dealer in early August 2012. About a week remains until the drums should arrive, but in the meantime here are some specs:

Model:
Tama Starclassic Bubinga

Finish:
Silver Snow Racing Stripe w/ black nickel hardware

Sizes:
20"x18" (2) bass drums
8"x7" tom tom
10"x8" tom tom
12"x9" tom tom
14"x11" hanging floor tom
16"x13" hanging floor tom
13"x6" snare drum

Hardware:
Trick Bigfoot pedals
Tama HH805 Hi-hat stand w/ Cobra clutch
Tama HS700WN snare stand
Tama CA30EN and CA45EN cymbal arms
Tama MCA63EN cymbal arm attachments
Pearl DR-501C (2)
Pearl DR-501CE (2)
Pearl RJ-50
Pearl PCX-200 clamps for all toms
Pearl PCX-100 clamps for all cymbal arms
Ahead AA9027 drum rug

**All Pearl DR-501 rack bars have 3" cut from both ends**

I will save cymbal specs until I have everything set up on the rack, so hopefully soon after the drums arrive I will be able to post full specs for the set. In the meantime, you can see a few shots of the hardware.

The first picture shows what my idea was for this setup using DW's Kitbuilder.

DSC03276_zps0aa5d30e.jpg

DSC03295_zpsdda227e8.jpg

DSC03296_zpsae2f1785.jpg

Last edited:
And today they arrived! When I last talked to the guys at Drums Etc. (my local dealer), they gave me a definite date of 1/18 or 1/21. Got the call today that they had come in, so without any further adieu, PICS! I'll post more when I have them up on the rack but for now I'll leave you with these. Enjoy!

DSC03300_zps6644619c.jpg

DSC03301_zps0e6f75dd.jpg

DSC03305_zps33f3f5aa.jpg

DSC03307_zpsf5a766a0.jpg

beautiful looking shells. i cant wait to see em all set up!

beautiful looking shells. i cant wait to see em all set up!

You beat me to the punch! I was just about to post one more shot tonight. At any rate, I got the toms and bass drums tuned. Saving the snare for tomorrow as I've put numerous hours into the kit today and need a break. I did manage to get them arranged on the rack so here ya go.

DSC03310_zps1eecf404.jpg

Aluminum rack with chrome , white drums with silver sparkle. Beautiful.

looks even better set up. can't wait to see it all put together with cymbals and the rest.

Congrats, absolutely gorgeous drums, and it's going to be a lot of fun to play!

I have a Tama Bubinga kit. Amazing stuff. But there is one thing about Tama that they seem to skimp on. And that is the detail of the snare beds. They are virtually non existant. It is very hard to get a tight snare sound on Tama wood snares. For a comparison, a Dunnett snare bed is opposite, deep, and wide in many cases. A deeper snare bed will give you more flexibility with tensioning your snares, and can tighten up a barking snare--which my snare was. You can tighten the snares up without choking the head.

If you are having a problem with your snare sound---I would recommend getting the snare beds cut professionally, or sand them down yourself. This will make the snare way more enjoyable and pleasing to the ear.

Aluminum rack with chrome , white drums with silver sparkle. Beautiful.

Thanks! I do love how the drums and rack look together. Couldn't be happier!

looks even better set up. can't wait to see it all put together with cymbals and the rest.

Hopefully in the next day or two everything else will get put up. It was especially rewarding being able to get the drums set up.

Congrats, absolutely gorgeous drums, and it's going to be a lot of fun to play!

I sold my previous kit about a month and a half ago, playing on just practice pads since, so this is especially true! I had a blast just playing the toms.

Awesome kit, love the finish

Thank you! I'm very happy with it as well.

I have a Tama Bubinga kit. Amazing stuff. But there is one thing about Tama that they seem to skimp on. And that is the detail of the snare beds. They are virtually non existant. It is very hard to get a tight snare sound on Tama wood snares. For a comparison, a Dunnett snare bed is opposite, deep, and wide in many cases. A deeper snare bed will give you more flexibility with tensioning your snares, and can tighten up a barking snare--which my snare was. You can tighten the snares up without choking the head.

If you are having a problem with your snare sound---I would recommend getting the snare beds cut professionally, or sand them down yourself. This will make the snare way more enjoyable and pleasing to the ear.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it but that is the exact sound I'm after. On my previous snare, a steel Pearl Export, I was able to really crank it and get a nice tight sound. I'm hoping that I can find a suitable sound with a little more experimenting but I'll certainly keep your advice in mind!

I'll post my cymbal specs awhile. I've been under the weather the last few days so no telling when I'll have everything on the rack. I'm short about four cymbal arms so not everything will be mounted right away but here's the full list in size order:

Cymbals:

8" Meinl Classics High Bell
8" Meinl Classics Medium Bell
8" Meinl Classics Low Bell
8" Meinl Byzance Traditional Splash
10" Meinl Byzance Dark Splash
10" Sabian Xs20 Splash
13" Zildjian Oriental China
13" Sabian AA Regular Hats
14" Zildjian ZXT Thin Crash
15" Meinl Soundcaster Custom Medium Crash
15" Sabian AAX-Treme China
16" Sabian APX Ozone Crash
17" Meinl Mb10 China
18" Meinl Classics Custom Powerful Crash
20" Zildjian Rock Ride

Just messing around with it today, I was able to get it tuned pretty close to what I'm looking for. I tightened the resonant head up pretty tight and backed the lugs on either side of the snare bed back about a quarter turn. I'm experimenting with the batter head, and I'm sure going with an Evans dry head would help with any extra ringing, but it's just about dialed in.

Very Nice! How do you like that Cobra Clutch? I've been thinking about trying one out.

Very Nice! How do you like that Cobra Clutch? I've been thinking about trying one out.

I've had it for a few months now and I love it. I have a Pearl drop clutch as well and it's nice to have multiple different sound options. The drop clutch lets the hihat have a loose sound and then I have my Cobra Clutch set up to give a tighter hihat sound, so I can easily go back and forth between those. There have been a few times while playing that I've accidentally bumped it and opened the hats but overall, as often as I use it in my playing, I can't complain.

Decided to tackle some of the cymbals today although they're a work in progress, still trying to figure out how I want to situate everything. Working with the hardware that I currently have got me this far. At some point down the road I'll get enough to mount the remaining cymbals but for now I'll leave you with these:

DSC03320_zps8b2b2001.jpg

DSC03322_zps7365dd23.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you enjoy your kit. I know it is awesome. You got a 13 snare, maybe they mess more with it. I know my snare was too loud until I messed with it.

ENJOY YOUR BUBANGA WANGA!!!!!

Back