Yamaha Phoenix (PHX) Drums

evilg99

Platinum Member
Now that Yamaha has moved production to China, only the PHX line is still made in Japan.

Continue discussion from other thread here....

Previous discussions were about Yamaha not making a PHX snare drum and not offering certain sizes because they had not been tested (not to wanting to make drums that potentially don't sound good)

Neal

I thought that NO drums were being made in Japan. Or is that they just are no longer being made at the Sakae shop? If that's the case where in Japan are they being made?

I'd love to see pictures of that operation. I've got images of 3 old Samurai sword maker type Japanese guys in a secretive facility deep in Yamaha Japan.

It all adds to the mystique of the drums for me.

I'd love to see pictures of that operation. I've got images of 3 old Samurai sword maker type Japanese guys in a secretive facility deep in Yamaha Japan.

That's totally how I imagine it as well.
Assuming the 3 guys at the Hamamatsu facility are the best of the best from Sakae, I bet the truth is not far from that...

I have a good friend who has been to the Sakae facility, and at the end of his tour, got to have them make a custom snare drum for him. I am so jealous.

Neal

I can't wait to find out what the sonically differences are between the PHX and the Hybrid Maple are in real life.

Last mentioned sounded insane good on video!

Yes, I am anxiously awaiting a new video of the Hybrid Maples from Memphis Drum Shop - then we can really compare well recorded and played PHX drums with Hybrid drums.
Any day now. Anybody on these boards who works there ? Incoming Hybrid Maple?

Neal

And oh my god how I wish they would bring back Embossed Green, Embossed Silver and Green Sparkle too. And make them available on the PHX line.

No wait, I don't wish that - then I would have no choice but to order a set.

I'm wondering what many of Yamaha's top endorsees are going to do now that RCs, and the standard maple and birch Absolutes have been discontinued. What's Carter Beauford going to do? His RCs will rack up mileage quickly! Was surprised that he didn't like the PHX, he's either a perfectionist or really didn't like them to turn down such high end drums.

I don't see why Yamaha can't offer more finish options for the PHX. And how can they not have an all-maple shell kit in their lineup? Hybrids aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I tried an AMH kit that Weckl had tuned up and used on a clinic here in Norway yesterday. I am also an owner of a PHX kit. The AMH kit sounded extremely good, very pure tone and punchy, resembling the big brother PHX kit in many ways sonically but it didn't have the "meatiness" or fatness in the tone that the PHX kit has... But it sounded VERY good and I would be very happy to play and own such a kit.

I don't see why Yamaha can't offer more finish options for the PHX. And how can they not have an all-maple shell kit in their lineup? Hybrids aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Yamaha DO offer more options to finishes in their PHX series. I happen to have a brochure of all the finishes they can do but these have to be specified before ordering. I didn't know about this before I ordered mine... If i had known I would have had the textured black fade on mine... Se colorchart below...

20140725_122946_zpstho26iqi.jpg

20140725_123015_zpss9cchpfi.jpg

And just like that they gotcha. " My drums were made by three Japanese monks in a secret fortress high atop a mountain". They are ply drums. They were made in a hydraulic press in a factory. They were drilled and edged by a CNC machine.

Sakae drilled everything for Yamaha by hand on a drill press, but edges were done on an automated machine.

Regarding Yamaha Music Craft, I believe it's the same facility they make their guitars.

I'm wondering what many of Yamaha's top endorsees are going to do now that RCs, and the standard maple and birch Absolutes have been discontinued. What's Carter Beauford going to do? His RCs will rack up mileage quickly! Was surprised that he didn't like the PHX, he's either a perfectionist or really didn't like them to turn down such high end drums.

This is old, so apologies for the timing. No one complained back in the day that none of the big drum makers had a 100% one wood shell, either all maple or all birch. The all maple shell trend started in the 70's, a marketing gimmick that says that having shell of one wood is better sounding. What it makes "better" is the amount and kinds of wood one has to buy to make them.

This is hearsay so take of it what you will, but Yamaha was pleading with Carter to try a PHX kit when PHX was first offered. He did, but after a while just loved the feel of his RC toms that he brought those back and kept the PHX bass drum.

First pic - from 2012 - snare is a Ludwig AVH signature snare, correct if I'm wrong

2nd pic - from2013 - with Luddy LB417 with die-cast batter rim and p-86 lever

Attachments

• Cbeau2012.jpg
    Cbeau2012.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 3,067
  • Cbeau2013.jpg
    Cbeau2013.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,335
Back