Hang Drums - Newb Questions

skreg

I have decided that I want to start playing hang drums. However, I know nothing about the materials, manufacturing, companies, etc. I'm interested in buying professional quality gear, but I don't know where to start with these instruments.

Is there a "Hang Drum FAQ" or similar resource that I could read through?

Can anybody share some insight?

-sheldon

from what i have discovered and been told, actually hand drums are extremely hard to get ahold of. i heard one guy in switzerland makes them and only takes mail orders(don't know if thats true, sounds a little ridiculous in this day and age) but i found this
http://www.pantheonsteel.com/
i've been looking to get one of these for quite some time, basically the same thing

Your only option is to buy second-hand. If you want a legitimate Hang then they are made by a single man in Switzerland who will put you on the waiting list only if he likes you. He doesn't follow traditional business practice in this sense - he seems to make enough being selective!

As a result, there are a few companies that make similar products but are not 'real' Hangs.

So "hang" appears to be more of a brand name than a generic term. Maybe you should be looking at pan drums, tank drums, or steel tongue drums.

Back