Merry Christmas to me

nicotine25

Hey guys!

I had a great drum Christmas and thought I'd share so photos of my blessings. My wife was kind enough to get exactly what I wanted this year. I received all brand spanking new heads...(batter and resos) and a Kick Port. I wanted to do a little experimentation with heads since I had the opportunity to get an entire full set. I ended up getting Remo Fiberskyn 3 batters for all the toms and snares, Remo Coated Ambassadors for the resonant side toms, Remo Emperor Hazy Snare side for both snares and a Remo Coated Powerstroke 3 bass batter paired with a Fiberskyn 3 bass resonant head. My experiment paid off too. They sound phenomenal!!! The specs of the drums are as follows.

Drums - Gretsch Catalina Birch (old style)
12" x 9" tom... FA3 over Coated Ambassador
14" x 11" tom... FA3 over Coated Ambassador
16" x 13" tom... FA3 over Coated Ambassador
14" X 6.5" Geo. Way Elkhart copper snare...FA3 over Emperor hazy
14" x 5" Gretsch Crystal Tone steel snare...FA3 over Emperor hazy

Cymbals - Zildjian
6" Avedis Splash
9" Oriental Trash Splash
10" A Custom Splash (used as top x hat)
12" Wuhan China (used as bottom x-hat)
10" Sabian Duo Splash (broken and drilled, used as top stack)
12" Special Recording Hi Hats (both inverted with Duo splash on top used as stack)
15" K Light Hat top (main hat top)
15" Avedis New Beat bottom (main hat bottom)
16" Avedis Thin Crash
18" Avedis Med Thin Crash
21" A Custom Projection Ride

Hardware - Gibraltar
Liquid Drive Dual Leg HH stand
Intruder Chain Drive Double Pedal
9600 stands and booms (with brake tilters)

Accessories - LP, Kick Port
Cyclops Tambourine
'Lil Ridge Rider Cow Bell
Aspire Conga
Kick Port

Attachments

• IMG_3838.jpg
    IMG_3838.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 2,031
  • IMG_3839.jpg
    IMG_3839.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • IMG_3841.jpg
    IMG_3841.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_3842.jpg
    IMG_3842.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 1,012
Thanks! I love the look too. They have a very warm tone. I think they pair well with birch...they kind of tone it down a little.

Wow....... What a beautiful kit. I love that finish and the fiberskyns make it completely awesome! Probably one of my favorite finishes on the forum after seeing these photos. Wow

Wow....... What a beautiful kit. I love that finish and the fiberskyns make it completely awesome! Probably one of my favorite finishes on the forum after seeing these photos. Wow

Thanks for the kind words. After about 7 years I am still in awe of the finish...I agree that the fiberskyns really complete the look...and the sound!

congrats!!! that's a really interesting head combo.

very few pwople use the remo emperor snare side, it's thicker than the regular ambasador , so I guess it sounds warmer and have more projection.
how would you compare with the hazy ambassador?

I like it a lot...it gives it a very wet fat feel but has great attack. It is very dark and warm but still maintains articulation and presence. The copper snare is warm and dry to begin with and this brings out the best I feel. As for the steel snare, the head combo puts it more in-line with the main snare while still having the bright characteristics of steel...They mesh very well. The Emperor snare side is still thin...weighing in a 5 mil...whereas the Ambassador snare side is at 3 mil. The toms...well the toms sound absolutely fantastic. I wanted to tame the brightness of the birch and bring out a more mellow, organic sound. All around I couldn't be happier.

Very nice looking.. Been thinking of trying fiberskyns on my Saturn..not sure about coated reso's though.

Yeah I hear you...I just wanted to try it out since I had the chance...I love it so far! My neighbors came over to jam yesterday and brought a zoom h2...so ill upload the audio here in the next few days. I will say that I was absolutely blown away with the sound quality overall but the drums were freaking amazing sounding...the toms truly sing. It ended up pretty awesome for an impromptu jam...

Back