Bought my first Zildjian today...+ updated pics.

wolfgang

So I've been looking for a decent 22" or 24" ride lately on the used market. I went into a local shop today and walked out with this 22" vintage cymbal. The guy who worked there said it was used by Polka legend Walter Ostanek's drummer. I live in St. Catharines and the shop is named Ostanek's so it's not that unlikely that stuff of his would end up there. It has no markings except for a stamp which was quite difficult to find at first. I haven't weighed it, but it feels like a medium-weight cymbal for its size. Lots of patina, a few dings some minor keyholing, but still sounds great.

And now the pics
I've got my full kit set up, although I'll probably update this with some pics of my gig setup in a bit. But for now, here's the 22" ride, with 18" china, 20" ride, and 18" hats.

PC290021.jpg

PC290024.jpg

PC290026.jpg

PC290032.jpg

PC290020.jpg

PC290019.jpg

PC290016.jpg

PC290015.jpg

PC290014.jpg

Congrats.

Look like a beauty.

Your first Zildjian. Now your in trouble. You won't be able to have just one.

Excellent. How does that mix with your Sabians though? I'sd imagine that Xs20 hats would be rediculously bright . Still though, a gorgeous find. Jealous.

The Zildjian is darker than my AA medium ride, currently acting as my main crash, and darker than my AA/Xs20 crash-hats, but I like the difference. They are all distinct but seem to go well together in my opinion.
I'm thinking I might try and grab another 18" crash to replace the Xs20 however. They do sound beastly already, but I'd like to experiment with an older, maybe darker cymbal. The bottom is an AA rock crash which works great as a bottom. It's heavy obviously, and bright so it adds lots of bite when they are crashed. I feel like a darker crash would make them sound somewhat like the K/Z combo, only huge :D

Smart choice with the Zildjian! Looks like a fun kit! What make is that drum set?

The Zildjian is darker than my AA medium ride, currently acting as my main crash, and darker than my AA/Xs20 crash-hats, but I like the difference. They are all distinct but seem to go well together in my opinion.
I'm thinking I might try and grab another 18" crash to replace the Xs20 however. They do sound beastly already, but I'd like to experiment with an older, maybe darker cymbal. The bottom is an AA rock crash which works great as a bottom. It's heavy obviously, and bright so it adds lots of bite when they are crashed. I feel like a darker crash would make them sound somewhat like the K/Z combo, only huge :D

Sounds Good. I got what looks to me like a ninties A Zildjian Ride and since then I've been trying to get my brighter cymbals out of there. The Zildjian just sounded so good, I wanted all of my cymbals to sound like it! Good luck and again, Very Jealous!

Thanks again for the comments guys. Pearlygates, it's a Premier Cabria APK. 20x18, 14x5.5, 14x14, 12x8, and 10x7.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

Sure.

BTW, your avatar is truly frightening. I'm too lazy to search through the "avatar" thread to see if you posted in there.

Who is that a picture of?

Haha I haven't posted it in the avatar thread, and I don't know who it is. But as soon as I saw it I knew i had to use it as an avatar lol.

And I did a bit of detective work and came to the conclusion that this ride is probably from the mid to late 60s. No idea about the model though. Could be a ping ride I suppose.

Back