Great Live Drummer with Stick Tricks?

Cory Bredow

So there is a going debate, to show flair and show off... or not! Some guys do a little stick spin every now and again while waiting for the band. Maybe occasionally sneaking a spin in during a break. Then there are guys like me; I take that little spin and throw it to the extreme all night long.

Enjoy these 3 latest covers dropped down in a night with the band "While Rome Burns" from Flint, Michigan. As always, I sincerely thank you for your time, shares, and views! ~Cory

Man in the Box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRV7rs5sU7U

Mudshovel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U647wPTmR3Y

Wicked Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jfB38zLRxw

My feeling about stick tricks is that they're fine in the right context. If there's ever any doubt, you can never go wrong by NOT doing any.

With that band, you definitely stick out visually though, it's a little too much animation for me. If the rest of the band had more going on energy-wise, you'd be fine. That's what I meant by 'context'.

Not sure where to begin with that singer though... :O

Bermuda

I didn't get very far with the videos. The band could do with some kind of dress code. They could be called the "Homeless" and dress better. Sorry.

I admire and respect anyone that goes out and performs in public....Man In The Box is not an easy song to get the correct feel rhythmically.....its a great drum track....in the case of this performance, I might be tempted to be a bit more conservative with the ancillary sticking performance and a bit more focused on the primary drum track...

It's not an easy song to sing either, so I'm sure this video will give some good feedback to the singers on what adjustments to dial in.

If you like doing it, that's reason enough. Not everyone does it so it's not like it's overused. Everyone is entitled to their own style of playing. Diversity is great. Embrace and own fully...what you do, if you genuinely like doing it.

Spinning between songs looks lame to me. Like if you can't do it during the song, don't do it at all. JMO.

I will say that if it's done all night, to me it loses it's shine. Everything in moderation. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing anymore. Plus it will be expected of you all the time. You do it well though, it's not too cheesy or anything.

No... a joke is funny.

This band is not over (under?) the top quite enough to be putting anyone on.

I made it about 30 secs before my ears gave out. Imo, as long as they don't detract from the overall look of the band, they're fine in moderation.

Stick tricks are cool, sometimes. Someone like Ray Luzier does it right. This is... Odd.

I'm really loving the title of this thread. The question mark at the end really makes it.

I always say that stick tricks look cool, but sound terrible. TERRIBLE.

Case in point: Listen to what the drums sound like when John Blackwell is in the midst of one of his stick tricks. He's a monster drummer otherwise.

Stick tricks, if done right, sound seamless. Steve Moore (The Mad Drummer) is quite the acrobat, but you'd never know how animated he is just by just listening.

But yeah, if basic stick twirls throw the groove off, they shouldn't be done.

BTW, where's the OP?

Bermuda

Back