Happier with my time :) Simple stuff.

Nice! Good time keeping sir. Great cracking snare sound. Liked your playing on the Foreigner track.

What's with that little dancing florescent purple thingy on the "G" on the reso head? It jumps along with your bass drum hits; great effect!

I'm a bit jealous that you were able to pull off the Foreigner song. I tend to sing like a fool when playing stuff like that and cracking myself up.

Nice Andy! Isn't it fun when we see our practice pay off? Maybe some of us have an easier time with meter on more complex stuff because of a tendancy to "drift off" during the simpler stuff?

Btw, not to take away from the point of your thread, it goes without saying how good those Gurus sound, but I love the sound of your cymbals too, especially the ride. What are they?

Andy you're right, your time has settled down to the groove. I can feel the groove. Years ago, I commented that I felt you were trying to hurry me up to the next beat all the time. Like you weren't completely comfortable to get there when you get there. Yea, I haven't felt that way about your time in the last year at least. Groove happens eventually to those who seek it. It IS something you can learn. I was not born with it. It had to be developed. It finally started to happen in 2008 for me, coincidentally, when I joined DW. The last 6 years have been the most satisfying for me yet, because I'm finally starting to understand the QNP and what groove is. I'm still just a kid in the groove department, but I know for sure I'm on the right track.

Lovely to listen to: a real pleasure, and Larry's right (of course) - you even got me feeling that groove! No mean achievement.

Agree with Derek about your ride, too. I thought I was about to buy a new crash, but it's definitely going to be a ride now.

Nice! Good time keeping sir. Great cracking snare sound. Liked your playing on the Foreigner track.

What's with that little dancing florescent purple thingy on the "G" on the reso head? It jumps along with your bass drum hits; great effect!
Thanks :) I can only assume it's a reflection of some sort.

I see those "how to keep it simple, by Meg White" videos are paying off......
I don't own any drum videos (except the new Benny Greb one I'm waiting for :)

I'm a bit jealous that you were able to pull off the Foreigner song. I tend to sing like a fool when playing stuff like that and cracking myself up.
Hahaha - good one!

Good Drumming....playing for the music at hand, solid time, no fancy stuff or showing off. Very nice tones.

Please ask the guitarist to dial back the chorus depth & mix just a little.
Thanks, & I'll be sure to pass on the chorus comment. The sound in that practice room is dreadful. Every surface carpeted - dead as hell :(

Nice Andy! Isn't it fun when we see our practice pay off?
Btw, not to take away from the point of your thread, it goes without saying how good those Gurus sound, but I love the sound of your cymbals too, especially the ride. What are they?
Thing is, I never practice (all aspiring players, please don't copy my dreadful example). I did practice something for 15 minutes a week or so ago, but that was a rare slip ;)

Cymbals are all Amedia. Mostly Galata & Tigris series. Ride is one heavy b@$%d. It's a Vigor series 22" but made especially for me in a natural finish (from back when, for some strange reason, Amedia thought it prudent to sponsor me).

Years ago, I commented that I felt you were trying to hurry me up to the next beat all the time. Like you weren't completely comfortable to get there when you get there.
I agree Larry, but I'm also sighting Simon Phillip's observation about different approaches as you cross continents. There's no doubt that (in the main), us Europeans have a slightly ahead/urgent vibe to our playing, whereas (again, in the main) American's have a slightly more settled approach. I know which I favour, but there's no doubt there's something cultural happening too - especially with players of a certain age before the inter web thingy ;)

Lovely to listen to: a real pleasure, and Larry's right (of course) - you even got me feeling that groove! No mean achievement.

Agree with Derek about your ride, too. I thought I was about to buy a new crash, but it's definitely going to be a ride now.
This ride is too heavy for you Madge, both physically, & in terms of your playing style/environment. It's my live rock playing ride, & it takes no prisoners! I do have much more subtle ones too though ;)

Solid groove, and nice accent work too. I'm always impressed with your cymbal sounds too. I'd like to get some Amedia cymbals. There's nowhere to try them out around here; not that I know of at least.

Solid groove, and nice accent work too. I'm always impressed with your cymbal sounds too. I'd like to get some Amedia cymbals. There's nowhere to try them out around here; not that I know of at least.
Thanks my witching hour friend :)

i've no idea of Amedia availability in your area, but I do know a number of guys who use/promote/endorse them in the USA, & I know the USA distributor too if you want me to reach out.

A very good friend of mine is now the UK distributor for Amedia Cymbals. He took that over about 3 years ago. Amedia are appearing on our show stand at the London Drum Show for the first time this year. Great cymbals, & in the UK at least, just silly prices for the quality :)

Nice and smooth man. Thats great. I'll keep repeating myself, that snare is just the best I've heard and seen!

I've just noticed, my bass drum pedal became detached in the second clip. I remember looking down in rehearsal to see the drum was about 2" off the pedal. I need to fix that pedal clamp, it's getting worn :( DW 5000 that's seen a lot of work.

Have you been working to improve that? I thought you were always playing like that when I saw other clips! I admit I thought you were just being more glue-like in holding it together, but the songs translate better I guess when you just lay it down.

I thought the Foreigner song was just straight quarter notes on the hi-hat and ride though?

Have you been working to improve that? I thought you were always playing like that when I saw other clips! I admit I thought you were just being more glue-like in holding it together, but the songs translate better I guess when you just lay it down.

I thought the Foreigner song was just straight quarter notes on the hi-hat and ride though?
Not purposely working to improve my time Bo, just organic progression I guess. I almost never practice (no time, & also lazy).

Yes, the original Foreigner track is straight 1/4s, but I like to add a touch of pace as well as accent the guitar part on the ride. I find that translates well live, & adds another layer without it getting in the way. Apart from which, I'm a bugger for sneaking in subtle linear (actual or implied) figures ;)

Back