Rockstar > Swingstar?

Hi. I'm not sure what year my swingstar is, but I don't think it's one from the 80s that people consider to be not-bottom-of-the-line, although it's served me well for my first two years of drumming. I'm wondering if a rockstar would be a step up enough to even worry about replacing the swingstar with.

I'd keep the swingstar and save up for something way better than Rockstars. They aren't really much of an improvement. Get good heads and keep saving.

The new Superstar would be a step up. Not sure about the Rockstar though as a step up, even though I play a Rockstar Pro from '88. That might be a step up. I like it better than the standard Rockstar that I had in the 90's.

No.

Rockstar more or less is equal to Swingstar.

Depending the years of the kits in question, there are marginal improvements, but overall it would be a waste of money to go from one to the other.

Save up to move up to get something better.

yep save up for a good used mid-level kit. great deals to be had in that price range when used.

Everyone answered this,keep what you have.....No difference to speak of.....

I will pipe in with my little bit.. Before i got my kit a friend let me borrow his beat to death old swingstar kit and i ended up buying a dw kit and honestly i would have been just as happy on that swingstar. I think it was mainly that it has bigger toms though, and sounded a bit heavier..

That being said, i would play it until you find something that is a major step, no point in spending cash for a little improvement :)

Thanks for the replies. Are yamaha stage customs or tama silverstars a significant upgrade from the swingstar? They seem to have a lot of good reviews but you can get them for cheap. For not much more than the rockstars, really, at least on guitarcenter.com.

I'd say a Silverstar is a step-up for sure, but realistically it would be worth saving a bit more for a second hand Birch/Bubinga or similar.
Stage Custom would not be worth it.

I'd say a Silverstar is a step-up for sure, but realistically it would be worth saving a bit more for a second hand Birch/Bubinga or similar.

Totally agree. The Silverstar is pretty amazing, I would have kept mine but I found a Starclassic B/B brand new & really cheap so I sold it. I really think the Silverstar is the leader of that price range.

Sorry i totally disagree.Yamaha Stage Custom ,especially with the YESS Mounts are night and day better than Tamas 2 kits in question..Not even close........

Back