My faithful Spaun kit

Andy

Honorary Member
Spaun kit with sound

Here's a few pic's of my Spaun custom maple kit. I've been using it for the last two years and it's the best sounding kit I've ever had. Really focussed toms with lots of sustain. Kick is like a little cannon with incredible depth for it's size. 8", 10", 12" & 14" toms. 20" kick. Pearl 14" x 31/2" piccolo floating shell snare tuned really high. I like a real crack and ringing rim shots. Mixture of Yamaha, DW, Pearl hardwear. All Sabian cymbals but a wide variety of styles. I like traditional & modern dry cymbals for my frontline and bright modern cymbals for effects. I love the little B8 splashes because they're really cheap & trashy sounding. Leapard ride is my favourite cymbal. Main high hats are Vault Paragon, second set are my 25 year old HH's. Little soundbite added. Very dead room & playing's a bit sloppy but you get the idea.

Attachments

• phpkMHXEmPM.jpg
    phpkMHXEmPM.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 848
  • new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 846
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 842
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 845
  • new4.jpg
    new4.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 843
  • STE-007B.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:
The natural color on the drums is great and I also like the chrome and gold look lugs and hardware that match the Pearl snare hardware. The tom sizes match mine and of course I like that.

Thanks for the comments guys. Photo's are a bit naff but the best I could get. I was really lucky with the kit. I bought it on eBay as a 5 shell set c/w tom stands, suspension mounts & really good hard cases for an unbelievable £1,800!!! It was brand new. The guy who sold it must have had a lot of money to burn. He'd never used it. He set a starting price of £1,800 but never believed it would go for that price. Nor did I. I was the only person bidding on it.

Great looking kit, I love Spaun, I meet the owner when he was still making kits in his fathers garage in Glendora CA.

Nice lookin kit !! Being a cymbal lovin type of dude, Im lovin your cymbal array !

Hey, fellow Spaun player. Looks very nice. I have a 20" kick as well, and I really dig the sound of it...plus it's easier to transport. Nice cymbals too.

hi mate bad news. I hear your kit has been playing around.

lol oj. That's a real nice kit, i like how it has the brass lugs with the rest of the hardware chrome, makes a bit of a change.

Hey, fellow Spaun player. Looks very nice. I have a 20" kick as well, and I really dig the sound of it...plus it's easier to transport. Nice cymbals too.

Hi Boomstick, where are you based? Good to hear from a fellow Spaun player. There doesn't seem to be many of us, at least not in the UK. I think we're a growing breed. One of my previous kits was a DW custom. Beautifully finished but the Spaun sound blows it away. I'm using Evans Emad2 for the kick batter with a single ply stock Spaun / Evans reso with a 4" mic port, evans small kick pillow just touching the reso for live / studio mic work. I replace the reso for one without a mic port & remove the Evans pillow for acoustic work. I use Evans EC1's for the tom batters with stock single ply Spaun / Evans for the reso's. I use Evans Genra HD dry for the snare batter. Do you have a Spaun snare drum? If so, I'd be really interested to hear your opinion on how it sounds. I've never tried one as they don't yet make a stock snare below 5" deep. I've had the pearl piccolo for years and I've not found anything that suits me better.

Off to see Simon Phillips + others at the NIA drumfest this Sunday.

I'm in the US, near San Francisco. I don't have a Spaun snare, so I can't really comment on them. It looks like your Pearl matches the kit quite well though. What material is the shell made of?

I'm in the US, near San Francisco. I don't have a Spaun snare, so I can't really comment on them. It looks like your Pearl matches the kit quite well though. What material is the shell made of?

Shell material is brass. On a piccolo snare though, it doesn't make much difference. Hell it's loud, especially as I slap across the rim most of the time. I guess I should invest in some ear plugs. Do you have any pictures of your Spaun?

Heh, looks like you already saw them. I used to post on this forum as "disco stu." I changed my name here because I wanted to keep my name consistent at the different music forums. Anyhow, my kit is the black sparkle 4-piece that's further down the page.

PS: Yeah, earplugs are a good thing.

Ok, now I got it. Great looking Spaun you've got there. Really clean lines. I've tried a few head combinations on mine and the setup in the thread below is about best for me. I play rock so my sound won't suit everyone.

New attachment: I've added a quick soundbite of the kit recorded on a little Zoom H2 handy recorder. My upstairs garage room is as dead as hell & the playing's a bit sloppy but it's the kit sound I'm trying to show.

Attachments

• STE-007B.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
I know the recording environment is not ideal, but the sweet sound of that kit still comes through. Very nice. Nice playing too. I just googled that zoom recorder you're talking about. It looks like a really cool little device.

Back