Weber Smokey Mountain

Mart61

Silver Member
Just about to press buy on a 47cm (18.5") one of these. Are they any good?

upanebaqejytytuzenaverameguvuq.jpg

I had an older model. Made a good slow cooker but never really tried to smoke anything on it.

Might be a bit late... In my experience, anything "Weber" is good stuff. I've got a Weber charcoal kettle grill that's been following me around since about 1985. I've replaced the grill and charcoal grates, but the thing just won't die.

As far as smokers, I've got a Brinkman that looks similar - it works great for fish, chickens and jalapeno peppers.

I'd think you'll find a friend for life. Go for it!!

Might be a bit late... In my experience, anything "Weber" is good stuff. I've got a Weber charcoal kettle grill that's been following me around since about 1985. I've replaced the grill and charcoal grates, but the thing just won't die.

As far as smokers, I've got a Brinkman that looks similar - it works great for fish, chickens and jalapeno peppers.

I'd think you'll find a friend for life. Go for it!!
Living up to the name I see! Also, the meat in that picture looks like it's worth dying for.

I've owned a Weber grill for 12 years and it's stayed outside the entire time (except during hurricane Katrina) they're expensive but work well and will last for years.

Had my first smoke off today. Worked a treat!

18467238221_8cf8734b24_b.jpg

17844720933_9d095a0ef2_b.jpg

18277707850_b17c006743_b.jpg

Nice colour, but something weird and unappetizing about the beheaded chicken standing upright on its own legs like that

Disclosure: I am no vegetarian either

Just about to press buy on a 47cm (18.5") one of these. Are they any good?

upanebaqejytytuzenaverameguvuq.jpg

Did you recently get away with robbing a bank?

-Drums
-Cymbals
-LM402 Supraphonic
-New Smoker Grll
-Upcoming Trip

Hmmmm?

If not, wanna be my friend? :p

Mart61

I realise you're away from home a lot, but by all that is holy, do have a word with the staff.

The lawn could do with a trim and getting the roller out.

And your folly is going to wrack and ruin in your absence.

The grounds keeper and the maintenance foreman are both robbing you blind, judging by the quality of their work.

Give them an inch and they'll take a yard. They have no shame I tell you!

Marty, great piece of kit there mate. Haven't seen one of those before. I'm more of the recycled oil barrel persuasion. That is posh nosh - bosh!

something weird and unappetizing about the beheaded chicken standing upright on its own legs like that
Agreed :(

I realise you're away from home a lot, but by all that is holy, do have a word with the staff.
The peasants are revolting, & the pheasants are running scared of that smoker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZSZOAgR_s

Apologies for the poor quality video but for some reason, this sprang to mind...
Excellent Duncan - & from you, expected :)

Did you recently get away with robbing a bank?

"I didn't do it! I wasn't there! I didn't want it! I wouldn't dare!" :)

Mart61

The lawn could do with a trim and getting the roller out.

And your folly is going to wrack and ruin in your absence.

The grounds keeper and the maintenance foreman are both robbing you blind, judging by the quality of their work.

Give them an inch and they'll take a yard. They have no shame I tell you!

Guilty as charged. As I hold both posts I've only myself to blame. :) I have done a little work since then and the folly has had a lick of paint:

e83163b41b533e205374c8adcf96c7b1_zps9i9itifw.jpg

Marty, great piece of kit there mate. Haven't seen one of those before. I'm more of the recycled oil barrel persuasion. That is posh nosh - bosh!

It's working a treat. The chicken is called Beer Can Chicken, so called cos it has an open can of beer shoved up its butt. Adds to the flavour and needs to be upright lest the beer spills.

Got the smoker on the go again today, three hours into a seven hours brisket smoke. Looking good already. Soon be time to add some marinade, wrap it in foil and put it back.

950f3877ce847bb119ac7943b48ae2ca_zpsrnugiziz.jpg

Keeping those coals low for smoking might be a challenge.

The cold smokers seem to do okay. They have the coal oven off to the side connected by a pipe. My bro in law has one and it does a great job. For stacked smokers like the one you have pictured I have a friend who has an electric that has a chip plate down at the bottom and the heat is low and the chips smoke.

But... I have seen these stacked coal burners where people instead of burning coal put a crock pot in there with soaked chips in it and that seems to work to.

I don't personally own a smoker but I know a few folks who have them. Me? I have a weber 22" as did my father before me. So Webers have been in family since the mid 70's good stuff. Great quality.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that when it REALLY cold out, the cooking time takes longer. Probably due to insulation. The only work around for that would be a Green Egg which I think are too expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks. I use what's called the minion method. You basically get a couple of dozen coals burning and then drop them on top of a full basket of unlit coals. This way the burning coals slowly ignite the unlit coals and they stay alight for 10+ hours.

If they need topping up you can do this via the door in the front of the smoker, but I've never needed to do this yet.

Looks delicious and you made enough for company so what time should we arrive for dining?

Thanks. I use what's called the minion method. You basically get a couple of dozen coals burning and then drop them on top of a full basket of unlit coals. This way the burning coals slowly ignite the unlit coals and they stay alight for 10+ hours.

If they need topping up you can do this via the door in the front of the smoker, but I've never needed to do this yet.

Don't you get a very tar-y/kerosene flavour?

Whenever I've cooked with charcoal I've always let the coals reach the white and powdery stage to avoid flavour contamination.

Don't you get a very tar-y/kerosene flavour?

Whenever I've cooked with charcoal I've always let the coals reach the white and powdery stage to avoid flavour contamination.

Curiously enough, no, there is no unpleasant flavour from this method. It seems as tho the heat almost drifts into the unburned coals and I don't think there's ever any flames from the process as such.

Here's how it's done: http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

Back