bass drum ankle motion with heel-up

I could do with some of these myself. At the moment I practice playing heel down quite a lot to try and train my ankles, just singles mostly. Then I try to play slowly and use my ankles whilst playing heel up.

To be fair I've been doing this for a while and I still don't seem to be very close to cracking it!

I could do with some of these too. My teacher always says most drummers play with heel up, but i jjust can't seem to do it.

A good basic exercise is to play quarter notes on the bass drum by starting playing with heel down and then moving to heel up position but still keeping the ankle going the same as it would in heel down. You then just simply shift back and forth these positions and try keep the ankle going.

I'm also having problems with ankle in heel up, as soon as I start going somewhat fast and start using ankle, I lose control. This exercise is helping with that though.

I strongly recommend to check out Matt Ritter's Unburying the Beater DVD, it has lots of these kind of exercises, in fact the exercise mentioned is from the DVD. :)

A good basic exercise is to play quarter notes on the bass drum by starting playing with heel down and then moving to heel up position but still keeping the ankle going the same as it would in heel down. You then just simply shift back and forth these positions and try keep the ankle going.

I'm also having problems with ankle in heel up, as soon as I start going somewhat fast and start using ankle, I lose control. This exercise is helping with that though.

I strongly recommend to check out Matt Ritter's Unburying the Beater DVD, it has lots of these kind of exercises, in fact the exercise mentioned is from the DVD. :)

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the publicity!

I have to give credit to the proper person, though. That particular exercise from my DVD was first displayed in Steve Smith's DVD, "Drumset Technique/History Of The U.S. Beat." I mention this in the FAQ section of my DVD.

Steve's DVD had a big impact on me because he kept emphasizing that the beater should rebound off of the drumhead just like a stick. He demonstrated the exercise you described plus a few others to develop a technique that he calls "constant release." I was impressed by all of this, but I was disappointed that the bass drum section of his DVD was very brief and very advanced. It didn't cover practical basics such as double strokes or isolated single strokes.

That's why I eventually decided to make a DVD myself that would cover everything drummers need to do in real life playing situations. I wanted to make sure that no one could possibly have any questions remaining after watching my DVD. I figured it was better to include too much information rather than too little, since people could always skip over the parts they weren't interested in. The final product ended up being an hour and a half worth of exercises with extremely detailed explanations, plus another 45 minutes worth of me answering "frequently asked questions." It's kinda funny - the one criticism that some people have had about my DVD is that it features TOO much talk and detail. These people don't realize that I continually receive emails from drummers around the world who STILL have MORE questions and want MORE details about the information in my DVD! Incredible, but true. It's been over 5 years since I released my DVD, and the follow-up questions continue to show up in my inbox.

In any case, yes, definitely check out my DVD if you don't already have it. There's enough material in there to keep you busy for years if you so desire. If it's not included in my DVD, then you probably won't need it for practical drumming situations. If you want some other fun exercises, check out the Steve Smith DVD that I mentioned (incidentally, Steve was one of the first famous drummers to publicly endorse my DVD). For even more exercises, check out Tim Waterson's DVD's. He has some incredible stuff for double bass as well as single bass.

That's a wealth of material there. The rest is up to you and how much practice time you invest. Best of luck!

RRRRRRRRLLLLLLLL......

RRRRRRLLLLLL....

RRRRLLLL....

RRLL....

RLRL......

all with metronome and at slow medium fast and open to close speeds this exsercise helpd me alot
goodluck!

Back