My New (Old) Ride!

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
Greetings! I thought I'd post pics of the new cymbal I got last week. It's a 21-inch Avedis Zildjian ride from the 1960's. Paid $150 cash for it. No cracks, no keyholing, just a few "flea bites" around the edge. The tone is incredible; warm, simmering wash, moderate stick definition with a woody "click," and thin, downturned edges that allow it to be crashed easily. This cymbal sounds like it's been played in hundreds of smokey little clubs over the years! I'm proud to be its new owner.
avedis_1.jpg
[/IMG]
avedis_2.jpg
[/IMG]

what a great ride. I haven't seen any vintage 21" , all I've seen were 20" o 22" . what model is it?

Wow, beautiful ride, man! Enjoy it!

PS: Try to keep it on a stand or in the case, away from the grass, haha. :)

Congrats.

I did some reasearch today, and as a result I've concluded that I was a full 10 years off in guessing this cymbal's age! Judging from the characteristics of the Zildjian Co. stamp, it looks to be from the late 1950's, not the 60's! I compared the ride to another vintage cymbal I have (13 inch Avedis hi-hat top from the late 60's) and noted differences in the stamps, as well as in the way they were made; the ride has many more inconsistencies and a different lathing pattern than the hi-hat cymbal does.

sound files would be awesome

Back