My Ludwigs!

J

jay norem

I've always wanted to do this so I went ahead and took some photos of my kit using my MacBook. I know the quality of the photos is poor; sorry about that.

1989 Ludwigs, supposedly signed on the inside by Ginger Baker.
18 x18" bass drum (converted from floor tom.)
10 x10" and 13 x13" toms.
5 x14" DW Solid Shell Maple Craviato snare.
20" K Custom Medium Ride.
16" A Thin Crash (on the bass drum.)
17" K Dark Crash Medium Thin.
13" K hats.
DW hardware and pedals.

I play jazz and these drums bring it. Best sounding kit I've ever owned.

Edit: oops, still have to get the photos up.

I am glad to hear you are excited about taking your pics, but I do not seem them so maybe the quality is more degraded then initially believed? I would like to see the kit...now how does that take place? Thanks for sharing though.

I've always wanted to do this so I went ahead and took some photos of my kit using my MacBook. I know the quality of the photos is poor; sorry about that.

13" K hats.
DW hardware and pedals.

13" K hats.
DW hardware and pedals.

Okay let's see if this worked. I'm very new at this:

Photo71.jpg

Photo72.jpg

Photo69.jpg

There, I think that got it.

Looks sharp! I can't see how you've converted the kick drum in the pics...legs/spurs? riser? bracket/basket?

It was already converted when I got it, caddy. Two old-style fold-up spurs in the original tom leg mounts. The third leg mount is what I use for my 16" crash.

The one thing I forgot to mention is that there are holes in the toms where the original mounts were, which is a sort of a drag I guess. You can see one on the 13" tom in the middle picture. I've thought about having something done about that but they sound so good that I've put it off. I'm not sure it can even be done. So my two toms are "vented."
There's also a 14 x 14" tom that I don't use.
It's a nitty-gritty kit, a little worse for wear but it's my old Ludwig kit and I'm very attached to it. Nothing else I ever play sounds quite like these drums.

Last edited:
I was wondering what kit you played, Jay. Looks sweet. Nice setup. Even in these pictures they are tasty lookin', and I'm sure these pics don't do them justice.

Hey I appreciate that guys, thank you. Yep, I love my old babies! They just sing so nice.

Very comfy looking kit, jay. I like the depth on the toms.. I see you dont use your 13" much ; )

Very comfy looking kit, jay. I like the depth on the toms.. I see you dont use your 13" much ; )

Hah! The truth is I hardly ever use it! I just did a couple of nights recording my songs for my CD and I think I played that drum once. Don't know why exactly. For me it's pretty much ride, snare, hats and bass drum. I guess that must seem pretty lame but it's how I've been doing it for some time now.
But that 13" is a great sounding drum! I should really play it more.

...holes in the toms where the original mounts were, which is a sort of a drag I guess. You can see one on the 13" tom in the middle picture. I've thought about having something done about that but they sound so good that I've put it off. I'm not sure it can even be done. So my two toms are "vented."
Personally, I wouldn't bother to plug the holes. Doing it "the right way" requires a donor drum shell and a hole saw of the correct size. And still, you'll wind up with a plugged hole that will be plainly visible. So then a wrap/veneer needs to happen. I've played plenty of similar "vented" and "non-vented" shells, and I don't think the human ear can tell the difference. Great kit you have there. A perfect working mans kit.

I really like your drums. Would make a nice acoustic kit for smaller venues. Nice cymbals too. Only thing I'd do is replace the black bass drum hoops with natural maple ones.

Nice looking set, And I agree, can't beat an old set of luds. I Like the black hoops though. Sorry katmam, no offense.

I converted an old CB700 kit for my daughter for Christmas, using a 16" floor for a bass with a homade cradle. That set came with a 5X14 Ludwig Acrolite which I of course kept for myself. lol.

Nice set you have, any sound bytes?

Attachments

• Amy drums 3.jpg
    Amy drums 3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 352
Yeah, well the black hoops on the bass drum match the rims mounts on the toms. Sort of looks like a bee, doesn't it?
I'll put some clips from my record date up as soon as I've finished mixing.

Last edited:
nice drums, i like sets like that, they just look minamalist and cool..

Jay,

Yes, you got it...and they look sweet! I am still waiting on my new kit of ludwigs...I will post them once I get them and put them together! Thanks for sharing.

Okay let's see if this worked. I'm very new at this:

Photo71.jpg

Photo72.jpg

Photo69.jpg

There, I think that got it.

Nice set-up, jay! Looks very cosy and comfortable. Though personally I'd have my rides a little lower and flatter, but that's just personal preference.

Back