Ginger Baker

Did he (Baker) use 14 15 or even 16" Zildjian hats?.

Baker used 15" hats. In fact, he still uses the pair he played in the 60's.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to play on a set of 15" Zildjian hi-hats from the 60's (not Ginger's). Absolutely loved the sound.

Last edited:
I saw Ginger live a year ago on his Why? tour. He's still playing really great, interesting stuff. I'd say he's somewhat of a scholar on the instrument. Very deep African rhythms permeate his playing. I'd recommend taking the chance to see him if you get one. You won't have the opportunity ever again pretty soon.

never seen him live but after listening to his solo with blind faith i believe he was at the height of greatness as a drummer .. beyond what the others could even imagine doing with a set of drums. him and mitch mitchell had a huge influence on my style and i still listen to their recordings. i think he has now stopped touring with heart problems. play on mr. ginger baker.

Saw him live with Cream and Blind Faith-amazing solos. You knew you were in for a real treat when his tom patterns began to blend with his kicks! THunderous! He and Mitch Mitchell were my inspirations even tho they had very different styles.

I was set to see Baker again in Annapolis this May but ...health concerns cancelled the tour.

I finally had the chance to see Beware Mr. Baker, which to me, I thought was one of the greatest documentaries I saw. I was quite surprised that he spent some of his time down in Africa and played with some African guys as well. It made me realize how much Ginger has been somewhat of an inspiration on me as a drummer.

He's 80, and he lived one heck of a life. He's done it all, to include a trek across the Sahara Desert. Even if he passes away soon, most people should be so lucky to have lived a life so full. I don't see it as sad at all - he had a heck of a run.

I lost an old friend of mine a week or so ago, and he was only 79. This was the guy who ran a music store a couple of towns away - really the only music store anywhere close to my hometown. He sold us the Yamaha trumpet that I got in 8th grade, which was the instrument I was playing when I started to really excel with it, and he sold my Dad a couple of guitars. He was a fair trumpet player too. Super nice guy, had a nice family - a full life well lived, even if it wasn't on the scale of Ginger Baker.

For those who haven't seen it, make a point to see the documentary film "Beware of Mr. Baker." It's worth seeing, and it paints a pretty fair picture of who the man is and what he did for music.

He's 80, and he lived one heck of a life. He's done it all, to include a trek across the Sahara Desert. Even if he passes away soon, most people should be so lucky to have lived a life so full. I don't see it as sad at all - he had a heck of a run.

I lost an old friend of mine a week or so ago, and he was only 79. This was the guy who ran a music store a couple of towns away - really the only music store anywhere close to my hometown. He sold us the Yamaha trumpet that I got in 8th grade, which was the instrument I was playing when I started to really excel with it, and he sold my Dad a couple of guitars. He was a fair trumpet player too. Super nice guy, had a nice family - a full life well lived, even if it wasn't on the scale of Ginger Baker.

For those who haven't seen it, make a point to see the documentary film "Beware of Mr. Baker." It's worth seeing, and it paints a pretty fair picture of who the man is and what he did for music.
A life well lived indeed. Ginger is quite a character, and "Beware Mr. Baker " really captures his unique persona. The young fellow who did the documentary sure was brave. Condolences on the loss of your friend. Your story reminds me very much about a friend of mine who sold me my first pro set of Pearl drums. He was more than a music store owner, he became a friend and advisor.

RIP Ginger Baker. One of my all-time faves.

Came across this article in my feed this morning. Sad.

Re-listened to some of his albums earlier as a mark of respect.

What a player

Rest easy Ginger.

Back