VINTAGE ROGERS

turkpellets

Hi im thinking of buying this kit.
http://vend.se/ad.php?170987
What do you think?
All info about this kit or vintage rogers in general is highly appreciated.
If i buy this kit i will buy it for about 1000$. is that a good price? I live in sweden.
Its from early 1970's. its either a rogers holiday or powertone but holiday and powertone are exactly the same except they changed location of the store.
please dont hesitate to reply with any thoughts or opinions!
Thanks

Thats a great kit, nice condition, not sure its all exactly original (ie. has full collector value), but who cares it will sound great. As for a vintage kit its about middle of the price range depending on where you live (Sweden?). Certainly where I live that is a good value for avintage kit in that condition.

But there are some great Rogers experts on here, try a guy named Ploughman.

Those are some great sounding drums. If you're cool with the sizes, I'd pull the trigger.​

It looks like it could have been a two mounted tom one floor tom kit,It looks like the kit was a 12 13 16 with a 22 kick from the placement of the Bass drum mount,and because of the location of the script badge on the mounted tom and the location of the swivo mount on the tom..At some time rogers put two badges on mounted toms so they would be seen whether the kit was set up righty or lefty,but I don't know if they did this for swivo era drums.

As far as dating vintage drums goes,Rogers was one of the easiest of the American companies to determine.It is pretty easy to date them within a year or two.

There should be labels inside to help with this,1969- 1971 the labels say Fullerton CA,1972 thru 1975 should say 9/72. Generally the shells should have a grey speckled interior, most from that era would be 5 ply maple/poplar with 5 ply re rings,but I have heard some of the 9/72 drums were three ply shells with rerings.They were constucted just like the shells from the most collectible era 1963-1968,same lugs but the mounts went from machined to cast around 1968 1969,and are a little less desirable,but still well made good quality stuff.

I own a 1967 kit and love them.The 1968-1974 drums were still some of the best built drums in the world at the time.

As far as price goes I would,if those drums were in good shape and no permanent modifications or extra holes I would think 700.00 US dollars tops here in the states.

Rogers drums from that era usually go for more than Ludwigs or Slingerlands here.
I don't know what the market is like in your country but Vintage American drums usually go for more money in Europe as far as I can tell so those look like a pretty fair deal.

The mounted tom and the bass drum has spreckled interior. In the bass drum it says rogers a 7480 9/72 the mounted tom does not say anything and the floortom does not have spreckled interior and says holiday.

If the floor has a label it should have the location of origin, like fullerton CA or dayton ohio (1966-68)or cleveland ohio,1963 1965) the cleveland drums had flat grey paint,the daytons mostly speck led,there were some flat grey 9/72 I have heard.If there is plain wood that would be an X-P shell,but those are 8 ply no rerings and had the Big R logo,not the script badge.

There was a transitional period, where Rogers was still making the thin shell with reinforcement rings ..... and it had a clear interior. 1976 was when Memriloc and the Big R came out, so I would suspect the floor tom to be a Fullerton, made around 1975.​

It appears to be a real nice kit and nice that it is pre Big R. I remember when the Big R kits came out. I was in a music store in 1976 and I was looking to buy my first new kit. They had just gotten in some new Rogers kits I didn't care for the Big R so I bought a Gretsch.

Last edited:
My 1966/1967 rogers has bass and mt are cleveland flat grey int ,ft is dayton flat grey int,seems like a lot of the flat grey daytons were ft's.

Did not know there were clear int swivo era drums.

Either way that is an interesting kit he has found.

Hi
thought guys would be interested in seeing this Rogers 1973 Mojave red kit in 20, 12, 12, 16 & 14 x 5.5. Complete with the 602 medium 22", 18" medium ride and 14" hats that were bought the same day. Has all original pedals and stands. Picked it up from a guy whose father bought it for him when he was 10, played it for a year and then stored it for 40. It is in mint condition and looks as good as the day it was purchased

Back