Ludwig Classic Maple?

CJIII

I am wondering is this a good kit, I think this would be my next kit. I really like the Ludwig Classic Maple but I dont see many people using them.

This is a totally PRO line, and TONS of people have them.

I have played Ludwig drums since 1976, and they have never let me down.
3ply very early 70's (Only have a bass drum left, it still sounds awesome).
Super Classic 4 ply in 1989, spectacular.

Classic Maple when they came out a few years ago. Spectacular again.

When I first got the newest kit in 2007, I was prepared to have a "break in period" where I got to know the drums, and got comfortable, but it was instant comfort, and like I had owned the drums for years.

I've never had anything but great compliments on how the drums sound.

They are excellent pro level drums. And if you want to go one step up and get vintage style 3-ply shells, check out the Ludwig Legacy Classic.

It doesn't get any better than Ludwig. But certainly, some might dis-agree. Bottom line. If that's the sound you want, they deliver.

Attachments

• phpoTma3GAM.jpg
    phpoTma3GAM.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 9,602
  • php6oXywIAM.jpg
    php6oXywIAM.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 9,534
I was looking into a Ludwig Classic maple in the bubinga finish about two years ago. The drums sounded fantastic, but I couldn't wrap myself around that particular finish. I still regret to some degree not having my dad's late 1940's Ludwigs in white marine pearl. The only problem with his kit is that it had a 28" bass drum, lol. You would be completely correct saying that you were pounding the "skins".

Dennis

I think Ludwig gets a bad reputation because of quality issues they had in the 1990s and because their kits are surprisingly affordable compared to most other big and small companies. For example, a 3 pc. bebop Ludwig Classic Maple kit averages about $600 or so less than a 3 pc. bebop kit from N&C, Pork Pie, Yamaha, Tama, etc., etc. (note: when comparing to the big companies, the CMs are up against Maple Absolutes, Starclassic Maples, etc.).

From what I have heard and seen lately, the Classic Maples and Legacy Classics are very solid, good kits indeed. The LCs are more price on par with high-end Tama, Yamaha, and the rest of the bunch, but the Classic Maples are a steal.

For example, I spoke with one trusted drum shop on the East Coast that carries Ludwig and Noble & Cooley, and the shop told me that they felt the Classic Maples were pretty close to being on par with N&C's CD Maple custom kits. They differ in sound, of course, due to different bearing edges and ply configuration of the shells (for example, Ludwig CM tom = 7 ply/6 mm; N&C tom = 6 ply/5 mm), but this shop said the quality differences are minimal (e.g., the N&C kits have slightly smoother bearing edges on average and have solid brass lugs and offer any finish you want).

So, that's a pretty good argument for Ludwig. N&C kits are great: they sound clean, clear, and are super well made. But if the Ludwig CMs are that close to N&C's kits, can you justify the N&C kits or other high-end kits in a similar config. and lacquer costing you $700-$800 more on average? Plus, Ludwig CM or LC kits offer a range of hardware options.

In the end, though, as Harry rightly notes, it comes down to what sound you like. I have played and heard, for example, high-priced DW Jazz Series kits and Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute bebop kits, and the Classic Maples sound so much more resonant and open.

A note about not seeing people use Classic Maple kits: remember, too, that drum visibility on the professional scene has a lot to do with other factors than drum sound. Endorsements can be about an artist loving a kit's sound, but it can also simply be about artist support for travel (e.g., Tim Alexander left Pork Pie for Tama because it is easier for Tama to supply Tim with kits all over the world, not because Tama is better than PP) or other marketing deals. How many times have we seen big drum players praise Zildjian, for example, and then leave for Sabian or Agop a couple of years later?

Last edited:
With N&C, I have always had trouble understanding their pricing. I am sure I would be perfectly satisfied with the sound, but I think the only thing they have done to the kit is the lug. For myself, at least, when I pay that much for a kit, I just need to have all, if not most, of the parts represented by the company. Thats just me.

If they want to use all those other parts, fine, but LOWER THE PRICING. The shells are not "special" from Keller, either. I have checked this out time and time again.

The Classic maples are excellent sounding drums,Arguably the best value in pro model drums right now.Beautiful finishes and excellent Customer service.The Classic maple snare drums are very underrated.
I own a Legacy Classic kit and it is the best sounding kit I have ever owned. ( I have owned 5 Gretsch kits;a DW Collector's Maple and 2 Yamaha Recording Custom).Everything is perfect on my kit.The Legacy Classic snares are excellent.

Attachments

• 9868c9f_20.jpeg
    9868c9f_20.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 9,778
The best way to hear how amazing these drums are, is to find a shop with them, tune up a tom and hit it. They are totally killer drums! I'm a huge ludwig fan and own a kit of my own (a 60's keystone in black pearl). And the new classics are just as beautiful and versitile.

But again go try one. They are awesome!

Good luck and post a pic when you get one!!!

God Bless,

dxtr

Go for the Classic Maples! They are my dream drums. I hope to post a pic of my own here someday.

And yes, plenty of pros do play them. One that comes to mind is Steve Gorman from The Black Crowes. Maybe Jim Riley too. Maybe check out the Ludwig site for pro setups.

Bermuda, who posts on here quite often, may even have some first-hand experience with them too.

I just got new Ludwig CM's and they are incredible...My dream kit cost me $ 2 K (Shells) which is great...Tone of each drum is amazing...This kit can be used for any type of music...Tuning range and volume all fit in so well together...And the glass wrap finish might fine...3 year warranty on CM's which is, in my mind, excellent...I would recommend these drums to anyone...I've also got Gretsch Renown which is very nice kit (Price wise and for everything else) but Ludwig sound gets ya' right where it counts...I think I should have gone for it though and got the orange glitter...Silver is beautiful though, really is...Anyone buying Ludwig Classic Maple today is in for special set of drums...I like being in that club...

With N&C, I have always had trouble understanding their pricing. I am sure I would be perfectly satisfied with the sound, but I think the only thing they have done to the kit is the lug. For myself, at least, when I pay that much for a kit, I just need to have all, if not most, of the parts represented by the company. Thats just me.

If they want to use all those other parts, fine, but LOWER THE PRICING. The shells are not "special" from Keller, either. I have checked this out time and time again.

Noble Cooley is a much smaller operation than Ludwig. Nearly all of their kits are custom orders. Same deal with SJC, GMS. All excellent (expensive) drums. They don't need to adjust their pricing, because people who play them swear by them. They have their place in the market.

Ludwig Classic Maples are awesome. Love the sound. Their new finishes are pretty hot, too.

Attachments

• lud shells.jpg
    lud shells.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 9,430
I'll be the contrarian here, since I am a Classic Maple owner who has had several issues and unsatisfactory results from Ludwig.

Whatever quality issues they have suffered in the past are clearly not behind them, today. I'm not alone here. I can cite several threads here on these forums and have talked personally with dealers who have *all* had similar experiences with other customers.

Now, before I continue, let me be clear; I LOVE the Classic Maple sound. It's wholly unique and instantly recognizable. It's an amazing tone and definitely my favorite drum sound.

Some of you have read my posts on my Ludwig experience(s) and are already familiar. It took several attempts over the course of an entire year, to get an order that didn't have critical flaws. I'm not talking about minor cosmetics, I'm talking shells so out-of-round that heads could not be seated...or drums that simply could not be tuned.

I've owned too many drums for my short time playing...Ludwig is the only manufacturer that I've had issues with. Not a single issue w/ DW, Pearl, Gretsch, etc. Every single other drum I've owned was great, right out of the box - flawless to the naked eye.

Some here will be quick to say that I'm the exception to the rule but I DO NOT buy that for a second. As I said, several dealers have told me similar stories of very *recent* orders that were every bit as bad (or worse) than mine.

I would say that if you DO order Classic Maple drums that you insist on very strict, special quality control. Include the condition that you'll require a full refund upon return, if there are any issues.

This is a totally PRO line, and TONS of people have them.

I have played Ludwig drums since 1976, and they have never let me down.
3ply very early 70's (Only have a bass drum left, it still sounds awesome).
Super Classic 4 ply in 1989, spectacular.

Classic Maple when they came out a few years ago. Spectacular again.

. . . . . . . .

Super Classics? Interested in parting with them?

I have a set of superclassics from around 1990 if anyone in the UK wants 'em. 22/16, 16/16, 12/7.5 grey / green stain finish with modular mount for tom. Each shell hand picked in factory apparently !

Love classic maples -- i have 2 of them... both Champagne Sparkle. Here is a pic of my newest one (with a supra) and the kit and snare i traded for it (starclassic with a craviotto)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    595.2 KB · Views: 9,268
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 11,674
Wow, I'm seeing a lot of threads about Ludwig Classic Maple kits, so I thought I would chime in.

Back in 2006 I decided to buy a new drumkit, and I really wanted to buy American-made from one of the larger manufacturers. The reason I wanted to buy from one of the larger companies instead of a smaller shop was because I wanted to know that I'd receive decent support if I needed it, and I figured that with a larger company the availability of replacement parts would be less of an issue in the future. With that criteria in mind, the choice came down to DW and Ludwig.

I ultimately went with Ludwig for several reasons:

1. My familiarity with them--I've owned three Ludwig snares and a vintage Ludwig kit and liked all of them.
  2. One of my favorite drummers, Neil Peart (groans from the audience) was playing Ludwig back in the early 1990's when I first got into Rush, so I've always had a fondness for them.
  3. The price--at the time (2006), I was able to buy the 6-piece shell pack that I wanted through Midwest Percussion for less than $2000. The DW's would have been probably twice that price.

Anyhow, I bought a Classic Maple kit (Ludwig's top-of-the-line at the time, before the Legacy Classics came out) and have never regretted it. They're amazingly sweet American-made drums for a very reasonable price. And they sound and look killer. Just check out their website for a list of endorsers--there are a lot of great players still playing Ludwig.

Funny you should mention Peart, because his best-sounding drums both live and on recordings (in my humble opinion) were his various Ludwig kits. His story of how he chose Ludwig interests me - he did the "blindfold test" and chose the drums that sounded best to him. I think that speaks volumes. I have a set of Classics from 1980 and they still sound amazing.

I'll contribute to the zombie thread:

If the Ludwig and Zildjian lines were all I had to pick from for drums and cymbals,
I could be very satisfied with that.

Back