"Play something." What do you play?

FITM

You have a friend come to your house and you show them your drums. They say "play something."

What do you play?

Well, I play something.

Personally, I'd be an ass, and play the money beat until they tell me to stop.

Funny thing about the drums.
If you play piano, for instance, and someone wants to hear you play; it is great and they will listen and enjoy the music for as long as you want to play.

With the drums, you play a beat or a short solo and usually they (non drummers) have had enough after a about 30 seconds. They usually are happy just knowing you know how to play.

At least that has been my experience.

I try to play the funk beat to Jeff Beck's "Come Dancin" from the Wired album. I say try to play because it's a hard beat to get to feel just right. It's also one of those standalone beats that sounds good unaccompanied, like "Fool In The Rain"

"Come Dancing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMW1MOZbdLY

Funny thing about the drums.
If you play piano, for instance, and someone wants to hear you play; it is great and they will listen and enjoy the music for as long as you want to play.

With the drums, you play a beat or a short solo and usually they (non drummers) have had enough after a about 30 seconds. They usually are happy just knowing you know how to play.

At least that has been my experience.

Pretty much. If you have loud enough speakers and jam to a song the attention span increases dramatically. This is why I don't do drum solos. I bore even myself.

I'll do a few bars of up tempo jazz ride patern - that splang-a-lang seems to intrigue people more than straight 1/8th notes...comp a bit and leave it at that.

Last edited:
I fire back, "Name a song where you know the drum part and I'll give it a whack." Followed quickly by, "Playing the drum part of a song is like eating a sandwich with no filler - it's just bread. You probably wouldn't recognize a naked drum part and I may not be able to play it without accompaniment."

Then I play about 10 seconds of the Wipeout solo and we're all good.

I fire back, "Name a song where you know the drum part and I'll give it a whack." Followed quickly by, "Playing the drum part of a song is like eating a sandwich with no filler - it's just bread. You probably wouldn't recognize a naked drum part and I may not be able to play it without accompaniment."

Then I play about 10 seconds of the Wipeout solo and we're all good.

You know the part that everyone seems to recognize? The first eight bars of Come Out and Play by the Offspring.

Depending on the musical tastes of the person who asks, I try to come up with an easily identifiable drum part from a song s/he knows. So if it's someone my age, maybe 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, My Sharona, Fool In The Rain, etc. For a bit later, One (Metallica) or Smells Like Teen Spirit. For more recent songs, maybe I Miss You by Blink-182 or Chop Suey by System Of A Down.

I think it was Bermuda who talked about how the musical style of a song can't necessarily be discerned by the drum part. That's absolutely true.

First I say 'You have to pay me first'.. badump-ching..
but usually I would play what the sound guy usually asks for after soundchecking the kit pieces eg. 'Now the whole kit'
- so I play a quick groove )kick, snare and hihat) that allows me to branch off and hit all the toms and cymbals, cowbell etc. Usually takes about 15-30 seconds..

Paradiddle groove into a single stroke snare groove ending with a triplet fill and then crack a couple beers and stand around the drums and talk shit.

For non-musicians I play JFAC's Entombment of a Machine. The double bass and blast beats to them sound like the hardest thing in the world.

For anybody who knows crap about music its Dream Theater's Panic Attack or Opeth's Grand Conjuration.

Single pedal- When I Lost My Bet by TDEP

Hmmm....

When the Levee Breaks...

Some Stubblefield

Some groove thing I'm working on....

If it's female, I ask her to dance and inspire me....

Last edited:
Back