Cant decide between Ddrum and Sonor

kraztatsa

Hi all

It has come time i upgrade my kit.

I live in Australia

And i have narrowed it down to 2 candidates.

In the Left Corner The Ddrum Dominion Ash kit

And

In the right The Sonor Force 3007 maple or 2007 birch.

Everyone's opinion is welcome?

so looking forward to what your opinions are thanx.

No question. The Sonor. I just think it's a better all-around package.

I'm not too familiar with DDrum, or Ash kits in general.
Sonor Force 3007 is a fantastic kit for the money.

I'm going to recommend the Ddrum ... only because I have owned 2 Ddrum kits and have nothing but good experiences with both. 1st was a Dorian Ash .. then I bought a Dominion Pocket Maple. Both good quaility excellent sounding kits. Here are a couple pics on my kits and a video I found on Youtube that gives a not so bad representation of the live sound quality close mic'ed.

DDRUMpictures007.jpg

DDRUM016.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIw1xuckH3c

I don't know about Ddrum's high end kits, but the ash kit sounds okay, their snare drums sound like GARBAGE! and yes, their customer service sucks big time. I sent three emails to them regarding a problem with the tom mounts on a new kit i bought. I recieved no reply. I'm a Pearl guy for life!

Hi all

It has come time i upgrade my kit.

I live in Australia

And i have narrowed it down to 2 candidates.

In the Left Corner The Ddrum Dominion Ash kit

And

In the right The Sonor Force 3007 maple or 2007 birch.

Everyone's opinion is welcome?

so looking forward to what your opinions are thanx.

Wow, what's the debate over? I'd go with Sonor on reputation alone. They've been building quality instruments for decades now.

I've had nothing but great customer service from ddrum. They even custom built for me 2 toms that weren't part of their product line to match a ddrum set i had purchased. I've owned 4 ddrum kits and only had a problem with 1 lug off of a kit i bought used on ebay.

ddrum dominion=

Virgin bass drum
Highly figured Ash lacquer finished standard, not wrapped
Die cast chrome or black chrome hardware standard
Die cast rims on all snares/ toms standard
Precision bearing edges
Isolation tom mount, standard
Snare beds, standard

I've never had the ash kit kit, but their maple dominion kit (same price) sounded every bit as good as a gretsch renown/ DW maple/ Tama starclassic maple/ Ludwig classic maple.

Sonor for the win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X24ZoratZTE
Thats a Sonor 3007 she's playing.
As you see you can get pretty much the same sound you'd get from any professional kit.
They also have pretty nice finishes, the Sonor hardware is great, the price as well.
I've never tried a Ddrum kit, but own a Sonor and I really like everything, even the tom mounts are great.

Fox.

Love the 3007’s for the buck but Emmanuelle’s sound is processed/mixed. I can’t comment on the Ddrum other than I like their bass drum triggers when they work!

For example here is my sons 3007’s raw with a camcorder mic. They really don’t sound this bad in real life! LOL

Sorry both videos were just tossed together and not edited so you’ll have to jump to about 30 seconds before it starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPaRNvxPDo

Here is the same video with the recorded drums laid over. Unfortunately it all the instruments but I’ll get a drums only mix up a little later. It also may still be processing for a little wile longer as I just put it up. They really don’t sound this good without processing! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4DKUvGrbs

There are some cool things to notice as well. After a break near the end he hits a bell. In the raw video it works… in the recording the engineer reversed the sound so it’s off time.

I have a 6-piece configuration of Force 3007s.... I absolutely love them. I got them for a steal even for the fact that their price is already cheap for the quality you get...

I know many people even here will attest that 3007s are nearly on par with pro-quality drums for a much cheaper price.

The only set of ddrums I've heard in real life didn't sound too great but I'm thinking that's because the guy who owns them had poor heads and even worse tuning of them, even if they were really nice drums so I can't really offer my opinion on ddrum...

But I will say that you will NOT be disappointed by Force 3007s.

I'd say go with the sonor because maple and birch both provide the purest of sounds when it comes to drums. Ash wood is just kind of cheap sounding and not as sufficient.

Is there anyway you can try either of these kits out in person?
I've got one ddrum kit (Diatribe Dorian), and I'm saving up for my 2nd (STN Dios).
I've also had two friends with the Dominion Ash kit, and they've blown me away at the sound they got out of them.

Definitely try them both out, but my vote would go to ddrum.

I'd say go with the sonor because maple and birch both provide the purest of sounds when it comes to drums. Ash wood is just kind of cheap sounding and not as sufficient.

Well that's actually not true. The wood makes no difference - or so little that it doesn't matter. I've been playing an ash kit for four years now and it's absolutely great.

I do however think that the Sonor kits are better made.

I was trying to decide between a ddrum dominion ash and the sonor 3007 myself. But after looking into it I've heard some really bad things about Ddrum kits. I'm not sure how much of it is true or just unfortunate for the individual who owns the kit.

I got the sonor 3007 two weeks ago and they are absolutely amazing, both in sound and looks. You definitely won't be disappointed with the 3007's. If it's possible for you, then go and try the kits out and see which you prefer.

Back