Should I get this snare?

Late night post.

I'm looking for a snare to go with my dw performance series drums. I heard alot on this forum that it's one of the best all around snares out there. On "the good snare thread" there are many names I see but the good ol' LM402 keeps coming up and on every other thread and website I see where people are discussing what snares they like there is always, "well aside from the obvious ludwig supraphonic......"

I really like the sound of this drum and was set on it but the thought occurred to me-what if the sound of this metal snare is too bright with my maple drums. The dw's are really low-mid tambre and I was wondering if any of you who had experience with this drum knew how it would sound with the rest of my kit.

I looked at maple snares but all the one's whose sound I liked were loud and more rock oriented. I kind of wanted a more all around sound and the ludwig sounded like a drum that can go loud but soft and sensitive.

Will this drum be good for what I'm looking for and still go with my kit or should I look at something else and what are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance, really needing help on this one.

One of the reasons they come so readily recommended, is because they tend to fit into such a wide variety of playing applications.

And yes, they've even been known to coexist side by side with maple drum kits..

It's all in your tuning, head selection, technique, where the moon is, etc.,....that determines whether or not the snare will work for you or not. The Supraphonic is legendary because there are so many people using them and it's basically the most recorded snare drum in history. I doubt that it wouldn't fit with the drums you have. I say go ahead and get it, because you're going to add more to your collection anyway. I have three, one wood, and two Supras, and all three get used for whatever I need them for.

And you knew that Ludwig basically uses maple wood for their drums too, right? ;)

I don't have experience with a Supraphonic personally, however I do know that it didn't become one of the most recorded snare drums in history for no reason.

Aluminum has a punchy, woody sound, not overly bright. If you still find it bright you can use a control ring, dry head or tune it differently.

I was gonna get a supra but I got a tama starphonic aluminum instead, it's probably my favorite snare.

I'm beginning to love questions such as these.

Used Acrolites are very affordable and also have a robust following. And... if you're stocking your quiver you might actually own one at some time or another anyway.

Last edited:
The supraphonic was standard issue with wood drum sets since the 60's, and still is,so they fit in nicely with wood shelled toms and bass drums.They're not really bright sounding at all,especially the LM 402 model,used by Bonham,who managed to make it blend very well with wood shelled drums,

It's also NOT sacriledge, to use two different brands of drums within a drum kit.Not everything has to match.The bottom line is to let your ears be the judge,not your eyes.

Steve B

The LM402 is as close to a do it all drum as you will ever find. Having said that, Acrolites are equally awesome. Some consider them to be the "little brother to the supras, but I think that unfair. the Acrolite is an 8 lug Supra in my mind, which gives it a slightly different tone. I still scratch my head over the newer 10 lug 6.5x14 Acro. . . Put the right head on these aluminum drums and tune them well, and they will fit in with anything you wish. the bronze is also super versatile.

It's also NOT sacriledge, to use two different brands of drums within a drum kit.Not everything has to match.The bottom line is to let your ears be the judge,not your eyes.

It's also worth noting that most drum manufacturers have their own Supra derivatives. Some of these are complete knock-offs, while others have become classics in their own right (Tama Starphonic comes to mind).

I'm in your club. Gretsch kit, LB417 snare. I can rest assured that my children will fight over my snare when I die.

Maple drums go perfectly with the aluminum Supraphonic!! I have a Gretsch Catalina Maple and it's set up with, guess what, a Ludwig Supraphonic. This snare drum - at least to me - sounds exactly what a proper snare drum should sound like. The rest of my kit also sounds better because of it.

There are plenty available out there. Go online and shop around. A lot of good deals are to be had on Ebay if you spend some time looking. I found mine there and got it for less than $200, and that included shipping - and the drum is perfect - no scratches, pitting, or anything. Just perfect!

I'm a happy camper.

The LM402 is as close to a do it all drum as you will ever find. Having said that, Acrolites are equally awesome. Some consider them to be the "little brother to the supras, but I think that unfair. the Acrolite is an 8 lug Supra in my mind, which gives it a slightly different tone. I still scratch my head over the newer 10 lug 6.5x14 Acro. . . Put the right head on these aluminum drums and tune them well, and they will fit in with anything you wish. the bronze is also super versatile.

+1...........IMO, the acro is the best "Bang-for-your-buck" in the drumming world.................I love acros

the 10-lug version baffles me too.

I have had Black Beauties and Supras, but for my buck, the lowly 8-lug, $100-on-ebay, aluminum Acrolite or Blackrolite is the one that suits me best…probably because I prefer wood snares overall...

Neal

The Supraphonic will be perfect for your maple kit. There are other fine snares, but don't be afraid of the Supraphonic because it is aluminum. It has a great reuptation for a reason.

On "the good snare thread" there are many names I see but the good ol' LM402 keeps coming up and on every other thread and website I see where people are discussing what snares they like there is always, "well aside from the obvious ludwig supraphonic......"

A safe choice, if you want a snare that'll sound like everyone else's (but not (safe) if you plan on using the strainer a lot).

SUPRAPHONIC is the McDonalds (Big Mac) of snare drums, 20% of the drumming population has one, just like 20% of the (US) population eats at McDonalds every day.

ACROLITE- Quarter Pounder

I came around to the acro again after I saw 2 separate drummers that I very much enjoyed playing a Supraphonic. One of these happened to be the drummer at my wedding.

I scored a 60's Arco shell of CL for a song, put it together with parts that I had sitting around and blammity, a great snare. It has a little more ring than I remember which I like. The last one I owned I remember as being very, very dry. Must be the tuning.

This is the perfect drum for my church gig because I wanted something that would really work with the wide variety of music we play. I now see why it is such a classic. Makes me hanker for a 402 again...

There are other aluminum alternatives.

I got a new Pearl Sensitone Elite for a price in-between a used and a new Acrolite.
I like it, but would like it more in a different size. It's 14x5, but I've taken more of a liking to deeper 13's now.

Back