What do you look for in a company drum video?

KIS,

My recommendation is to simply make a nice sounding, visually appealing video with a good musical performance by a talented drummer.

Truth be told, unless I put ambassadors on your drums, and get a Ludwig Maple kit (Or other kit I'm intimate with) and do an A/B comparison, then I'm not going to have a good idea of what your drums sound like. Very few people can hear an instrument cold and over youtube and have a clue of what they really sound like. Heck, I can't even sit behind a drum set and know what it sounds like half the time.

So you might as well try to sell your other attributes (extremely quality hand made boutique drums) in the hopes of getting people interested enough to come hear your kits, which I'm pretty certain sound spectacular.
We shoot for being as representative of the real world as possible. i'd argue, much more so than pretty much any other drum company. We usually augment the session recordings with a few ad hoc Zoom handy cam recordings too. We typically use G2 over G1, & always G1 coated over Hazy 300 snareside. All basic stuff. The room is good, but nothing high end. Same with the mic's - nothing you won't find in a standard demo studio or basic stage setup. Most importantly, no processing of any kind.

I understand the A-B comparison thing, & that matters, but of course, how far can we take that. Complete personalisation of a session is never realistic.

I agree though, all we can do is what we do, & be transparent about it. We could do impressive real easily, but it's meaningless in terms of informing those who are interested. That attitude puts us at a distinct disadvantage in marketing terms, but I'd rather sleep at night knowing the drum they heard on the video is sonically the same drum they receive.

In this thread, I'm specifically interested in elements drummers want to see included, & those they don't. Our format may change a little according to opinions expressed here, but the core values that have run consistently through our videos to date will not.

Almost without question, when I'm viewing a drum company video, I look for drums.

what is the purpose of the video, is it marketing ?
is it a drum solo or a small band type thing?

Old Hyde is right on here. What's the purpose of the video? Is it a web driven video for your website? Broadcast commercial? Short clips for Drummerworld?

I'm in video production and there has been a big shift away from imparting too much information to producing either mission statements or lifestyle conceptual pieces. You still need to impart some information about your drums (sound, design distinctives, engineering, craftsmanship, etc.) but wrapped in a conceptual format that has space to "breathe". Keep it on the short side leaving the viewer wanting more, not wondering when the video will finally come to an end. Make sure the video steers people back to your website where drummers can do further research for more information. By the way, you have a very professional, classy and informative website.

The biggest attribute for me is showing what your drums look and sound like. Sound recording--with minimal EQ and compression--that captures the purity of the tone. That's a huge plus. There are a few dealers I won't buy from online knowing they heavily sweeten the EQ on their products without them ever stating they do so. True representation of what the product sounds like is a huge selling point in my book.

Drummer endorsement interviews are a two-edged sword. It may help your sales, but may also turn some potential buyers off. Hearing the drums played in different genres (just like what you have on your current website) by different drummers is a plus so you get an idea how the drums sound in a jazz, rock, metal, country, etc. context.

Larry made some great suggestions in his post focusing just on the sound of the drums, stating what heads are being used, with the drums being played in a soft, medium and loud context.

A few short, concise, insightful well-placed interviews by either recording engineers, FOH engineers, producers, or other musicians (guitarists, bassists, keyboardists, etc.) and their take on how Guru drums sound to them or make their job easier might be an interesting alternative. This may only appeal to guys who own a recording studio and are interested in purchasing a Guru kit.

I really enjoy your In-Tense and Origin videos. Your video on the new In-Tense English Ash prototype drums is exceptional. Telling the viewer how much processing is taking place speaks to your integrity. Keep up the great work.

In this thread, I'm specifically interested in elements drummers want to see included, & those they don't. Our format may change a little according to opinions expressed here, but the core values that have run consistently through our videos to date will not.

The Ash video you made was awesome. The only thing I would ever ask for is more of the same, but with several different drummers playing several different styles.

Re: the comments about just drums and no cymbals...

I disagree here. Unless you plan on playing drums without cymbals, wouldn't you like to hear how the drums sit within the overall mix? To me this just increases the honesty of the demonstration. A kit with and without cymbals are entirely separate beasts IMO.

Just my .02

PS long time lurker here...the names Justin, nice to me you all.

Hmmm my thoughts would be

1)What most people said. Short and to the point intro. Just important points and explanations

2) How about different camera angles to show off the kit? Way better method of wooing over the people while they listen to the awesome drums

3) Keep the sizes on the screen at all times? Near their respective drums.

4) have some type of order when playing the drums, toms (high-low then back) bass, snare. then some general playing mixing the two. Then lastly cymbals with drums.

5) the ending is just as important. A nice little tid bit about the company perhaps? or little preview of whats to come?

Some indication as to how portable the drums are might be useful. Don't you do a 20" by 12" bass drum? Maybe a brief montage showing how easily that kit fits into the average hatchback/onto the average stage etc?

Also I rarely (if ever) see videos where the drums are being played with other instruments*. I know the general point is to isolate the drum sound in order to show it off, but equally it might be nice to hear how well a snare (or whatever) cuts through some accompanying bass/guitar/piano/whatever.

*EDIT: Scratch that - just noticed that you kinda do that already . . . though more of the same wouldn't go amiss.

Last edited:
1) Get to the point.

There are a ton of videos on youtube, and I don't have time to watch them all. So if you want me to watch something, hopefully it gets to the point, and doesn't waste my time with lengthy intros and bumpers. Or the whole thing that Terry Bozzio does now where drummer hits everything really quietly with lots of space like he's trying to make some abstract artist statement. If it's about drums, then play drums already!

2) If you're going to describe gear, describe it. I hate it when you see a video "Well known drummer describes his set up" and then it consists of drummer saying "I have some toms, they're round, and then over here are some cymbals, and they are round and shinny..."

3) And I know it's the cool thing to do, but it drives me crazy, is the MTV style of cut in a million different angles, and the black and white camera, and the 45 degree off kilter cam angle, and whole lot of editing tricks so the picture is changing every one to two seconds. UGH! If you want to show me something, show it, and don't just show off that you hired a fancy editor who spend hours splicing camera angles together.

I just watched the English Ash video.

Keep doing that! No talking, no BS.

I don't think it's the place of manufacturer's to school potential clients on what's important & what's not. You either like it or you don't, & there's a clarity of decision attached to that approach that's more important than one feature vs. another.

I haven't made myself clear. I'm not a potential client, alas, but I would like to be able to identify in my own mind what is important to me. I know you aren't pitching to the likes of me, but you did ask - and so I'll tell you. When you build a drum out of a certain wood, in a certain way, because it has certain qualities: I would like to be able to put a label on what I hear. Without some guidance, I can't do that.

I could play you clips of various types of soprano, let's say lyric, spinto and coloratura. Assuming you were remotely interested, wouldn't you like to know why you preferred one to the others?

I could play you clips of various types of soprano, let's say lyric, spinto and coloratura. Assuming you were remotely interested, wouldn't you like to know why you preferred one to the others?

Pfffft!!!! Easy peasy!

I like the one with the best chesticles.

Re: the comments about just drums and no cymbals...

I disagree here. Unless you plan on playing drums without cymbals, wouldn't you like to hear how the drums sit within the overall mix? To me this just increases the honesty of the demonstration. A kit with and without cymbals are entirely separate beasts IMO.

Just my .02

Yeah, I'm gonna say keep the cymbals on. As far as I know, the past videos have all been with cymbals and the players do play with just drums first for a little bit, then start playing with the cymbals.

Almost without question, when I'm viewing a drum company video, I look for drums.
Damn - knew we were missing something ;)

The biggest attribute for me is showing what your drums look and sound like. Sound recording--with minimal EQ and compression--that captures the purity of the tone. That's a huge plus. There are a few dealers I won't buy from online knowing they heavily sweeten the EQ on their products without them ever stating they do so. True representation of what the product sounds like is a huge selling point in my book.
Thank you so much for your kind words & detailed response :) The last video we released was the first time we've ever used even mild EQ, etc, & even then, we made it very clear to the viewer with a zero processed version side by side. All other videos have always been without manipulation other than getting a level on the mic's.

The Ash video you made was awesome. The only thing I would ever ask for is more of the same, but with several different drummers playing several different styles.
Your wish is my command, & will be delivered next week - on steroids :)

Thank you for your comments Justin, & nice to meet you too :)

5) the ending is just as important. A nice little tid bit about the company perhaps? or little preview of whats to come?
I tend to steer away from that, & indeed, all marketing messages, except prominence of the website. Probably not the best in terms of marketing, but there's enough "advert" content on many videos already (especially with 3rd party stuff delivered by Youtube).

Don't you do a 20" by 12" bass drum? Maybe a brief montage showing how easily that kit fits into the average hatchback/onto the average stage etc?

Also I rarely (if ever) see videos where the drums are being played with other instruments*. I know the general point is to isolate the drum sound in order to show it off, but equally it might be nice to hear how well a snare (or whatever) cuts through some accompanying bass/guitar/piano/whatever.

*EDIT: Scratch that - just noticed that you kinda do that already . . . though more of the same wouldn't go amiss.
Yes, we do some extremely portable sizes, & most of our drums are under half the weight of conventional offerings. I might consider a separate "info" type cam video for that aspect.
Some exceptional drums & bass madness coming up next week :)

1) Get to the point.

3) And I know it's the cool thing to do, but it drives me crazy, is the MTV style of cut in a million different angles, and the black and white camera, and the 45 degree off kilter cam angle, and whole lot of editing tricks so the picture is changing every one to two seconds. UGH! If you want to show me something, show it, and don't just show off that you hired a fancy editor who spend hours splicing camera angles together.
Couldn't agree more Ian. We'll never go there. We shoot for easy digest info biased, not "impressive".

I just watched the English Ash video.

Keep doing that! No talking, no BS.
More of the same? Done! :)

When you build a drum out of a certain wood, in a certain way, because it has certain qualities: I would like to be able to put a label on what I hear. Without some guidance, I can't do that.
Ah, ok, I think I get you now. You need to be able to pigeonhole that sound by giving it a feature label. Got it! & by the way, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

Yep, I just watched that again too & it's pretty much perfect.
Thank you :)

Yeah, I'm gonna say keep the cymbals on. As far as I know, the past videos have all been with cymbals and the players do play with just drums first for a little bit, then start playing with the cymbals.
Yes, we always start with a simple & open set piece on drums only. I may expand that a little though.

Guys, thank you all so much for your thoughts. Super useful. Please keep suggestions coming, & we'll try to include them if they fit with what we do & what we stand for.

Back