Engineering jobs at a drum company?

Chaos_Inferno

Silver Member
I'm a senior in high school and I've been leaning heavily towards an engineering degree... Being a drummer and having a passion for music is one thing that I'd like to integrate into my career as well, even if I'm not going to be a sound engineer or a session drummer.

I'd absolutely love to be one of the guys behind designing new drum equipment, whether it be heads, shells, hoops, cymbals.... whatever it is. There has to be engineering behind it. There's just SO MUCH that goes into what makes a drum a drum.... and what makes it all unique.

I've tried to dig up a little on this but I haven't really found anything worthwhile and I don't know anyone involved in the music industry at any level so I have no personal connections. Do you guys have any idea what kind of engineers a company like this would be looking for to hire new employees as engineers?

Mechanical Engineering has seemed the closest from what I've gathered but I'm not so sure that will take me where I want to be.

Even working for something in the audio realm would work for me.

As mentioned in the other thread, engineering is really only important in terms of hardware. Design, shell shape, and lugs are basically a done deal for companies, and the companies who are sourced for most hardware - such as Reliance - also assist in the engineering as needed.

Remember that larger US companies who may require engineers - basically, Ludwig and DW - already have someone in place. The Asian companies are unlikely to hire a fledgling engineering graduate. And none of the 'custom' builders need an engineer... they don't make their own hardware.

That doesn't mean you can't create a design and make a prototype that would be attractive to a hardware company, and possibly one of the majors. But a paid position in a company is very unlikely, as there are literally just a couple of positions that exist at all.

Bermuda

So the answer is that no one really knows?

That's a bit ridiculous if you ask me...

My advice is if you want an answer from a group of people, it's usually a good idea to not be condescending to them.

If you read the link I posted, I said such jobs exist, but there are very few of them.

The one person I know who got such a position is not en engineer. He worked in the music instrument business for 15-20 years, had a knack for how things worked, developed a reputation in the industry as a knowledgeable guy, via his sales job he got to know various executives in companies, and one day the was offered the position out of the blue.

There really isn't a lot that goes in designing a drum shell; there are only so many things you can do with a round piece of wood. Look at the hundreds of custom drum makers that have come and gone over the years. 99% of lugs, hoops and tension rods are made over seas. Most are either die cast or press metal or such, and machinery used to make them probably isn't much different than the machinery used to make part for non-drums items. American based companies like DW, Ludwig an Gretch rarely ever change their lug design.

Cymbals tend to be more about metallurgy then engineering. And while the designs may change from year to year, the basics of the engineering process (mold, hammer, lathe) stay pretty consistent.

As I said, most of these "big" companies only actually have a small handful of employees.

Hi
I have a degree in mechanical engineering.....I would recommend you go into general mechanical perhaps with process/material background.
I put my way through college playing top 40 cover music.
Get into a college and then your 1st two years of engineering for the most part common courses for all engineering majors.Then fine tune your major.
Most likely not a big market in manufacture engineering....we don't seen to make anything in the US any more.
Maybe you could change that...Good Luck Denis

Good luck... My guess is these drum companies are not hiring at this time...Give it 3 to 5 years.Denis

Go for it! Study mechanical engineering and when you have a choice, select class projects with a drum angle to it. Tinker with drums at home too. Some day, you just might develop the next great thing in the drumming world and be the president of your own drum company.

GJS

My advice is if you want an answer from a group of people, it's usually a good idea to not be condescending to them.

If you read the link I posted, I said such jobs exist, but there are very few of them.

The one person I know who got such a position is not en engineer. He worked in the music instrument business for 15-20 years, had a knack for how things worked, developed a reputation in the industry as a knowledgeable guy, via his sales job he got to know various executives in companies, and one day the was offered the position out of the blue.

There really isn't a lot that goes in designing a drum shell; there are only so many things you can do with a round piece of wood. Look at the hundreds of custom drum makers that have come and gone over the years. 99% of lugs, hoops and tension rods are made over seas. Most are either die cast or press metal or such, and machinery used to make them probably isn't much different than the machinery used to make part for non-drums items. American based companies like DW, Ludwig an Gretch rarely ever change their lug design.

Cymbals tend to be more about metallurgy then engineering. And while the designs may change from year to year, the basics of the engineering process (mold, hammer, lathe) stay pretty consistent.

As I said, most of these "big" companies only actually have a small handful of employees.

That wasn't meant to sound condescending, just a statement that I find it hard to believe there are truly that few people who work on equipment like that.

I might go in undeclared and find something I really like... Metallurgical engineering leading me to being able to make cymbals would be pretty cool too lol.

"ridiculous" was probably a poor choice of words - if you look at it, it basically means 'worthy of or a target for ridicule' it's kind of belittling

'incredible' or 'inconceivable' (though princess bride may have ruined that last one for a couple of generations) would, maybe have been a better choice.

It may seem weird, but these industries aren't as super huge (in industrial terms - compared to, say, paper or semiconductors) as you may think..."Blue Honda syndrome (if you are thinking of buying a blue Honda you will notice them on the road, b/c they have special significance for ya)

One thing to consider is that, with a relatively mechanically simple and evolved product -- much of the innovation/modification may be coming from the fabricators...craftsman who are working with the ins and outs of the materials and processes ( chem E can be like that, run a bunch of series)

kinda funny note on that - I was taught how to crave greenland kayak paddles by an ex-Boeing Engineer -- when I asked him about the hydrodynamics he went with "well, we really don't fully understand it" - but those damn Inuit crafted em!

On another note - the engineering of a product (esp components) can get pretty far from the product sometimes (you may find yourself, for instance, working out problems in the machine to make a part, rather than even a part of the product itself)

I certainly don't mean "dont do it" (Im an engineer myself) - engineering itself has a lot of options and you may be able to drill-your-own-hole so to speak, but I wouldnt think about "engineering" as just "drum engineering"
to be honest (I doubt Im alone on this) I know a crapload of folks who work in entirely different fields than their degrees (I don't mean a "drum engineer" working as an "automotive engineer" - I mean a middle eastern policy major/ atty working as a poker dealer, a mech E working in PR, etc)

Last edited:
I'm just guessing here, but it seems that drums are pretty much a done deal when it comes to design, so I wouldn't suggest design engineering for drums. But as someone mentioned, mechanical engineering I assume is a steady trade in all manufacturing, but there is also tool and process engineering. You can always build a better mousetrap.

Try contacting some of the engineers at some of the drum companies. I bet if you can get some email addresses they would be happy to correspond with you about what they do, and the current processes for making drums and drum hardware. Companies like Gibralter must have an active, if not large engineering department considering they are almost entirely an after market drum hardware venture.

I'm a senior in high school and I've been leaning heavily towards an engineering degree... Being a drummer and having a passion for music is one thing that I'd like to integrate into my career as well, even if I'm not going to be a sound engineer or a session drummer.

I'd absolutely love to be one of the guys behind designing new drum equipment, whether it be heads, shells, hoops, cymbals.... whatever it is. There has to be engineering behind it. There's just SO MUCH that goes into what makes a drum a drum.... and what makes it all unique.

I've tried to dig up a little on this but I haven't really found anything worthwhile and I don't know anyone involved in the music industry at any level so I have no personal connections. Do you guys have any idea what kind of engineers a company like this would be looking for to hire new employees as engineers?

Mechanical Engineering has seemed the closest from what I've gathered but I'm not so sure that will take me where I want to be.

Even working for something in the audio realm would work for me.

You didn't say where you are located so I am going to assume that it is me.

I would find some relevant drum companies and write them and research them as much as I could. Of everything you said, the drum head area is the one which would intrigue me the most as everything else has been pretty much done (it's all plywood!).

What about cases? Many of the case vendors have another are in which they are in. Ahead is part of the Easton company which makes some sporting goods.

Just be a good investigator.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw

Here's my $0.02 from a Mechanical Engineering student at a top engineering school.

I've had many similar questions, and through what has become a huge body of experience in a very short time have learned some very valuable lessons on where the world is heading for engineers.

Mechanical engineering is the degree for you - however, there are a couple of routes to go from there.
Drumming does not require incredible engineering expertise - most guys with some familiarity of solid works and basic shop techniques could do it. There are some things you can do to set you apart though.
Having a degree is an automatic plus. There's 3 or so main tracks you could follow, though.
1. Get a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology (bachelors>associates, always!), which will teach you many of the shop skills and practical experiences necessary to do the design/build of drumming equipment. However, be wary that you may be placed in a general, lower paying job.
2. Get a BSE in Mechanical Engineering (Look at a 4+1 BSE/MSE program too) and do your capstone and research projects relating to drums. While there does not readily seem to be much to do with drumming, I can honestly tell you there is actually quite a bit to be improved upon (ie, stronger hardware, more efficient pedals, machines that make the construction process more easy, etc). However, I still don't believe that is your best option.
3. I think your best bet is to get your BSE in Mech E and then take as many business-related courses as possible, even to the point of an MBA instead of/in addition to an MSE. In a situation where there is not heavy engineering, and if this is something you really want, then having a business background will get you much farther and potentially lead to much greater opportunities.
Hope this helps - feel free to shoot me any questions.

I wasn't planning on going into engineering for the hope of working on drum equipment alone, it's merely a "dream job" of sorts for me.

The school I'm most likely going to (if I can afford it) would have a 5 year engineering program and their main focus is undergraduate study, with a great system of co-ops as well. I could hope that somehow I could get involved through that, seeing as many students from there not only are just paid for their work during the co-op but have those same companies they worked for while still in school approach them with full-time jobs after they graduate.

So can I hope? I suppose. I just know I'll be set as far as employment goes in engineering lol. Thanks for the help guys, I'm actually just kinda shocked that the market for that is so small...

if you want to talk about engineering and innovation, i see lots of opportunity in the area of electronic percussion and percussion software. i'm a big user of that stuff and i can see plenty of room for improvement and enhancement of those products. i'm a software engineer myself and i'm tempted to jump in and try to come up with something better than what i see on the market.

What's better, going to college, paying out a boatload of cash, getting the degree, pray you can land a desireable position...

or

Simply come up with your own ideas, do what it takes to begin manufacturing and marketing them, and start your own business?

Maybe I'm naieve, but I just can't see expending all that energy in the hopes that somebody will hire you. I hate the idea of having to depend on anything (like an employer) for my livihood

Why not start at the top, sidestep the whole college thing, and start a business around your ideas? Is that not valid?

If you want to do something like that then go ahead and get the education, it won't let you down hopefully.

Having said that, a mechanical engineer is typing this that is currently unemployed (8 months so far) after having worked steadily for 25 years in manuacturing industries. A comment was made earlier here in this thread that manufacturing in the US is going the way of the dodo and I would pretty much agree. The vast majority of the companies I have worked with are no longer in business or have been split up and sold off primarily based on horrible management that couldn't get out of the dark ages. You can blame it on market forces to a certain extent but in the end it's up to those leading how they will respond to them. Anyways....off soapbox.

The comment about also getting a business education along the way is spot on. There's also the conundrum of putting food on the table vs following your passion....ask any pro working drummer about that. Sometimes you need to make sure you have the steady income working for someone else before you can go out and do the dream. I like the idea of starting now and keeping drum stuff in mind while you get your education. You will come up with some great ideas. And think about cost reduction and simplification ideas all of which every drum related company needs. Patents can be obtained by anyone also. They can be sold or you can bring the ideas to production yourself.

Yeah the RIMS mount was created by Gauger wasn't it? One man or small group with a great idea can go a long way.

I mean, go for the education, knowledge is powerful and awesome! But don't be afraid to work on your own ideas on the side and produce them yourself! Remember, if you create something for a company, they own it and all the profit they get from it, while you just get your wage regardless. And they're still free to fire you later on. Working for a big company is no longer as secure as it was for the baby boomers.

Like I said with the co-op programs at the school I'll most likely be going to, they boast something like a 98% placement statistic... and they continue to say that everyone graduates with a nice job as well. The 2% is apparently those people who just don't finish out.

If unemployment is my fear then it shouldn't affect my job decision anyways since it can most certainly happen to anyone at all. I'm not doing this merely for my chance at a dream job; it's just that, a dream. Mechanical engineering jumped out at me when I attended a workshop for it once and I've been saying that is my current intended major ever since.

I'll still be going to college for engineering even if working for a drum company is an impossibility. I was just always curious as to if it were possible.

At any rate, even if working for a major company is impossible you guys are right on with the possibly opening my own business once I have the funds and knowledge for doing so.... I know we have a few custom drum and cymbal makers on the boards although I don't know exactly who's who. I know the guy (apologies for forgetting his name and username here) who makes the Unix drums is a poster here and now I'm curious as to how he or anyone in a similar position got started and everything. I hear nothing but wonderful things about Unix drums and the like here... I would love to do something like that even if it were only on the side.

Back