DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: My upadated d'n'b set up! (Sabian Prototypes, Zildjian, Meinl, Pearl, Sonor...)

after a week I'll get a new china (decided to buy Sabian AAX Chinese 18''), also, I have the Fierce crash 18'' already, it's really great!!

My aim for this set-up is not to copy Jojo but to have as much authentic d'n'b set up as possible, Jojo Mayer has done a lot to recreate that sound, so obviousely, his set-up is something where to drain ideas from! Students tend to inspire from their teachers :-)

superbatman, I don't have any recordings of this set-up yet, we're doing extensive rehearshals right now, after some time, probably next month or so we will start out with a big BOOOM

I found two great musicians, a bass player and a keyboardist who messes with samplers etc (also great jazz player)

We are arriwing in a seriousely authentic d'n'b sound, Jojo gave me all the info about Nerve bass players equipment and the keyboardist has an unique sound already!

I know my project is taking too long and some of you are getting inpatient hehe but I don't want to force anything, the aim is to get the best musical result right now!

so, stay tuned!!

PS. Thank's Fijjibo!
PS2. The snare is tilted forward because I play 90% trad grip!

my new d'n'b set-up!

Last edited by Raymond Bloom; 09-01-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: My upadated d'n'b set up! (Sabian Prototypes, Zildjian, Meinl, Pearl, Sonor...)

Some new pictures for you all!! and...Merry Christmas :)
Attached Images

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Pioneer Member

as you can see, I have updated my set-up a bit

Check out that last picture:
Cymbals (from left to right)
Meinl Classics 12'' china
Sabian Signature Jojo Mayer Fierce crash 18''
Meinl Johnny Rabb X-Generation Safari hi-hats 12''
Meinl Classics splash 10''
Zildjian A Custom Fast crash 14''
Sabian Prototype Fierce hi-hats 13''
Sabian AAX Chinese 18''

snare drums
Pearl Masters Custom Limited Edition Exotic 13''x4''
Black Panther Premium Maple 24k Gold 14''x5,5'' (my favourite secondarry d'n'b snare is still Sonor Special Edition FS 3145 14''x5,5'', I just set-up my Black Panther this time)
Sonor Jungle 10''x2''

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Great looking set-up, Ray! I love it. Not quite jojo all the way, right? Would love to hear some sounds from this rig..

How do you like your position of your X-hat?

Merry Christmas, in advance to you too.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Great looking set-up, Ray! I love it. Not quite jojo all the way, right? Would love to hear some sounds from this rig..

How do you like your position of your X-hat?

Merry Christmas, in advance to you too.
Thanks Aydee!!
This set-up is 99% the way I want it to be! (some new stuff will be added...) For me, the placement of that 12'' Johnny Rabb hi-hat is perfect! And oh boy, it's SO much fun playing on a set-up with two hi-hats and three snare drums!! :)

btw, this is how Jojo Mayer's set-up looks right now:
19'' AAXtreme Chinese, 13'' Fierce Prototypes, 10'' Fierce Prototypes, 18'' AAX El Sabor Picante Hand crash, 10'' Choper, trash hats: 13'' Fierce top hat cymbal/14'' Evolution Chinese bottom, 21'' Fierce ride, 18'' Fierce crash, 13'' AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
Attached Images

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Hey Ray kits looking better and better, still waiting on the recordings though. Hows the 'Blumz Project' going?
And how does that jungle snare sound? All looks great!
Old 12-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Groover View Post
Hey Ray kits looking better and better, still waiting on the recordings though. Hows the 'Blumz Project' going?
And how does that jungle snare sound? All looks great!
Blumz Project.... lol Maybe ''Prohibited Blumz'' haha

the project is called ''Urban Beat Factory''! Right now I'm busy with some stuff, a new jazz club will open it's doors in january (or february) which will be my main d'n'b stage, every week one Urban Beat Factory evening with live d'n'b! Till the end of this year, I doubt to have some time for recordings, also, I want to get full potential out of everything, I still need to get used to some stuff that I have (for example - my sampler)

That Jungle snare is awsome! It sounds really... jungle?! :)

my new d'n'b set-up!

Last edited by Raymond Bloom; 12-18-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom View Post
That Jungle snare is awsome! It sounds really... jungle?! :)
My teacher just got this snare, and I played it! It is wonderful. the sound is much bigger than it looks..

good luck with the Urban Beat Factory, Ray
Old 12-18-2007, 06:35 PM

More pics please ! ! lol really great new stuff added. also its interesting that strange cymbal in Jojo set, the chopper, i think Sabian got some inspiration for Meinl Generation x creating cymbals with white noises.
We want to hear some of the Urban Beat Factory works.

here is a video introducing some new Sabian stuff including the choppers
http://www.harmony-central.com/theat...c07_video.html
Old 12-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

I think jojo would be very proud of this kit! I love it man, espeacialy the cymbal choices.

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 12-19-2007, 11:56 PM

wow dude its just beautifull!!! i would love 2 play that!nice cymbal selection, and what a lovely finish, real classy! I also have the Meinl classics 10'' splash, what do you think of it?I was thinking about turning my 5 peice 3005 into a 4 peice, i think youve just inspired me too! :)matt:)

Sonor Zildjian Remo Vic Firth
Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Gold Member

WOW man! I love it, so many options all the way around. I'd love to roll with that some day. That Sonor jungle looks nice, not many 3 snare setups around, you know? You're saying you don't like your black panther or it's just not your favorite? I hear nothing but good things about those!

Killer setup! Good work!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsh View Post
More pics please ! ! lol really great new stuff added. also its interesting that strange cymbal in Jojo set, the chopper, i think Sabian got some inspiration for Meinl Generation x creating cymbals with white noises.
We want to hear some of the Urban Beat Factory works.

here is a video introducing some new Sabian stuff including the choppers
http://www.harmony-central.com/theat...c07_video.html
thanks for the link!

that's something I NEED!!! :)

btw, they are in stock at Sabian and ther prices are:
8" $119
10" $137
12" $149
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
I think jojo would be very proud of this kit! I love it man, espeacialy the cymbal choices.
Well, if he's in my country without a drum-set, I can provide him with a kick @ss set-up hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by matei_the_drummer View Post
wow dude its just beautifull!!! i would love 2 play that!nice cymbal selection, and what a lovely finish, real classy! I also have the Meinl classics 10'' splash, what do you think of it?I was thinking about turning my 5 peice 3005 into a 4 peice, i think youve just inspired me too! :)matt:)
thanks, mate!!
about the 10'' Meinl, I bought the effect pack (18'' china, 12'' china, 10'' splash) for 98 euros, I sold the 18'' china, because it was really clangy and heavy, but that splash and 12'' china are very cool! Maybe a bit too sharp sounding (especially the splash), but that's a good thing, it blends really good with my other cymbals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
WOW man! I love it, so many options all the way around. I'd love to roll with that some day. That Sonor jungle looks nice, not many 3 snare setups around, you know? You're saying you don't like your black panther or it's just not your favorite? I hear nothing but good things about those!

Killer setup! Good work!
I'm planning to add a Remo Tunable Sound Shape 10'' so it will be a 4 snare set-up...! :)
About the Black Panther, I have a hard time tuning it every time I do it, the sound is a bit too choked (Coated Ambassador on top!), I think I need to replace the snares and the bottom head, but all in all, I want a specific tuning for a secondary snare with my d'n'b set-up, I tune it as low as it can go without sounding messy, for that reason I have my Sonor Special Edition 14''x5,5'' steel with an Emperor on top, it sounds perfect for what I need!!

I use my 14'' Black Panther as ''workhorse'' so to say, if I need to play rock or jazz or other type of music that is not electronic, I just don't want to tune it every time (I have 5 snares, each for a different purpose), so I use my Sonor steel as a secondary snare most of the time!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom View Post
I'm planning to add a Remo Tunable Sound Shape 10'' so it will be a 4 snare set-up...! :)
About the Black Panther, I have a hard time tuning it every time I do it, the sound is a bit too choked (Coated Ambassador on top!), I think I need to replace the snares and the bottom head, but all in all, I want a specific tuning for a secondary snare with my d'n'b set-up, I tune it as low as it can go without sounding messy, for that reason I have my Sonor Special Edition 14''x5,5'' steel with an Emperor on top, it sounds perfect for what I need!!

I use my 14'' Black Panther as ''workhorse'' so to say, if I need to play rock or jazz or other type of music that is not electronic, I just don't want to tune it every time (I have 5 snares, each for a different purpose), so I use my Sonor steel as a secondary snare most of the time!
Ah, I could see that, Panthers are very rocky (14x5.5 is a very rocky size...)

I dig, keep it up
Old 12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Another great KILP, Raymond. Awesome new action photos, too! Good for you. Joey
Old 05-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Ray, you are a legend!
i still find it difficult to believe that your set up is not a sonor jungle kit, it looks so similar!
haha, i was trying to replicate jojo's kit/cymbals, but i think i might copy yours instead :D
please post some audio/video,
reverse engineering for liife!

Danny
Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 PM

Very nice kit!
I'm a sonor man myself and i've been playing a lot of jojo mayer inspirated d'n'b stuff as well.
Your kit reminds me of mine, i have a sonor delite (18 - 10 - 14) with a 14x5 delite snare and have been looking for the perfect side snare for a long time now.
there's two things i would like to ask you; your main snare is a piccolo and your side is a deeper metal one, why do you prefer this? I have the idea the main snare should be the one with the 'richest' more complex sound out of the two and the side should be - for instance a piccolo - with less complexity in tone. Also, have you ever tried out the sonor jungle snare? I'm thinking about getting one as my side snare.

Take care
Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 AM

first of all i just want to say your kit is amazing.
id love to play on it,
the cymbals and everything look like theyd be sooooo much fun to play on.

i had a question about the sizes though.
how is the bass drum in17.5 depth? how would it compare to a more conventional size?

and the difference in size between the two toms seems like the interval would be weird.
so i was just wondering how you tuned them.

and how you tuned the bass.

once again awesome set.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Ray...please, please, please get some sound samples up. You are being a very cruel man by not doing so! =D
Old 07-29-2008, 12:51 PM

...and get some more pictures up too dude, it's been a while :P