DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Finally! Bo's Pearl Reference Pure video!

OK. If you have a little under 3 minutes, here's a short groove video I made today, demonstrating the new kit and the cable hat with the hats in front of the snare. The sound is straight ambient into my Zoom Q3HD recorder, which oddly enough, did a great job with enough light in the room! Let me know what you think - and you don't have to see my face this time ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLVj...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally! Bo's Pearl Reference Pure video!

Great flow & grace as usual Bo. Kit sounds great. I especially like the bass drum tone, & the toms are at a nice tuning too. A touch of EQ, or is it "virgin"?

I see what you mean about the hat position & 16ths. It struck me that hat to ride grooves would be really easy to access too, & I like that texture over a groove.

More than anything, I was struck by just how the kit suits you :)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 AM

Very nice!
Is that a Reference snare, too...or is it the birch/kapur snare?
Can you introduce me to your avatar?
Rob
Old 07-22-2014, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

My favorite part of that was the "hi hats". Cool setup.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Great flow & grace as usual Bo. Kit sounds great. I especially like the bass drum tone, & the toms are at a nice tuning too. A touch of EQ, or is it "virgin"?

I see what you mean about the hat position & 16ths. It struck me that hat to ride grooves would be really easy to access too, & I like that texture over a groove.

More than anything, I was struck by just how the kit suits you :)
Totally 'virgin' audio. I just put the Zoom in a mic stand and pointed it at the center of the kit and went for it. I'm prepared to do individual miking on the 8-track recorder, but I wanted to let the drums speak for themselves, as you often do with your recordings. I am quite pleased with how they sound on their own.

The snare is a Studio Session Classic birch/kapur snare drum. I have a couple of Ludwig Supraphonics I'll also be using too. But on the Reference Pure series, they use birch with maple and a sharp bearing edge on the snare drums. I figured birch/kapur with the same bearing edge would do the trick as well - and I think it does. The drum tunes easily into all kinds of ranges, and sounds great!

The avatar decides who she will meet with ;)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 AM
"Uncle Larry"

This is my favorite sounding and looking kit I've seen you play by far Bo. Every drum I like. The black looks great. Your playing is so smooth and flowing, I really admire that. I'd like to see you stick with this one for a while. The drums attack sounds very crisp, love that.

Gomez Addams
Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

Very nice bo. I was waiting for a video of this setup. Looks like everything is easy to reach, even the 12". What ride are you using?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

That kit sounds great Bo.
Nice playing too.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 AM
Silver Member

Nice kit, nice playing.

You look totally relaxed Bo; very impressive indeed.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Gold Member

Great playing.
I am definitely going to try this kind of set up. Except I will keep one tom on the bass drum and one to the left of the hi hat (I play right handed).

Larry mentioned that this set up might compromise the typical drum fill that goes from small to large tom.
But I think as you said we don't really use that drum fill very often. But it will be fun to see how I might have to modify my playing.

Thanks for the video !!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

I am very impressed. These drums sound great. Your playing is always top-notch, and this is no different. But I think this is my favorite-sounding kit you've put up in a video.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
Very nice bo. I was waiting for a video of this setup. Looks like everything is easy to reach, even the 12". What ride are you using?
Thanks everybody for giving me three minutes of a listen! Yes, I am totally diggin these drums. My Luddies are jealous.

Anyway, the ride is my prized 22 Zildjian K Light ride. Everyone should get one ;)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Great kit, and great playing Bo.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
This is my favorite sounding and looking kit I've seen you play by far Bo. Every drum I like. The black looks great. Your playing is so smooth and flowing, I really admire that. I'd like to see you stick with this one for a while. The drums attack sounds very crisp, love that.
I'm still using the stock heads, which are Remo clear emperors on top and clear ambassadors on the bottoms, and a PS3 for the batter on the bass drum. The snare got ambassadors top and bottom (unfortunately, the SSC drums come with Remo UT heads - so those got switched out rather quickly). The SSC snare also got the same hoops (Pearl's FatTone) as the rest of the drums. It originally comes with Pearl's SuperHoop II hoops, but I wanted the distance between rim and head to be the same on all the drums.

I do have a set of Evans heads waiting to go on when its time (G2/G1, and EQ3 for bass drum) but what I really want to do is put black dots on the toms and that new clear PS3 with the black dot for the bass drum. I'll have to replace the front reso with a clear emperor if I do that ;)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Great playing Bo. That kit sounds tight.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Great playing and nice sound Mo... I can see that the Ukulele Hero game play had a positive effect on your playing :)

What about the cable hat? any lag in response? especially with such big hats... I love the setup though.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Great playing and nice sound Mo... I can see that the Ukulele Hero game play had a positive effect on your playing :)

What about the cable hat? any lag in response? especially with such big hats... I love the setup though.
Of course, dealing with a cable, I think there will always be a nano-second lag (at best) when using these types of hi hats. And it does respond a bit faster if I use 14" hats as opposed to the 17's, but to me it's negligible and easy to adjust to (now that I've spent several weeks playing the kit like this). The feel of the cable hat is much better than my experiences with them when they first came out in the 80s - I think most of the manufacturers have it down now - so I don't think it's a brand thing (although the Pearl one does feel the best to me, and it's also one of the smallest, components-wise).

When I first got this one, it only came with an 8-foot cable and like alot of people, I wanted a shorter cable. On retrospect, I think 8-feet of cable is now a good thing as it allows this huge loop from the pedal to the hi hats - the cable is not bending in any weird way as it would if it were shorter - and carrying it around is just a matter of looping it to fit in the trap case.

So, long answer, there's not much of a delay (if any). Thanks for the continued praise ;)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

I agree, very smooth and flowing, ergonomically that setup fits you well.

How does a cable hat setup feel, is there any noticeable drag when opening the hats?

Doh, sorry just read the reply above concerning the cable hat, sorry Bo.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Renegade

Playing and kit are all really good, as usual.

I probably missed something but haven't seen you with the flat Bruford setup before.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

Great sounding drums, Like the setup too, a little Bruford like, easy to reach. Playing sounded great too, nice.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

Very nice kit. Pearl really got my attention when they came out with those. Your playing is great too. I think I'll keep my hats where they are though.lol.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
Very nice kit. Pearl really got my attention when they came out with those. Your playing is great too. I think I'll keep my hats where they are though.lol.
You really oughta' give it a try though. I had my reservations at first and then after a bit of soul searching, tried it. So far so good!

Thanks all for giving it a listen - I did some spring cleaning and cleared up my little practice studio so I'll be able to freely work on stuff I've been wanting to put up on YouTube. Now hopefully I'll be able to find the time ;)
Old 07-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Banned

Bo, I have internet coming in 10 days. Will check it then. So sorry I have been unable to view youtube. Am looking forward to hearing you play.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 PM

Drums and playing sound great Bo- didn't realize you were a lefty! That kick drum tone is to die for.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Smoooth playing and nice sound! Interesting setup, looks quite ergonomic. I think that's the
point anyway: There is no most ergonomic setup, but there is the most fitting setup for the
drummer sitting behind it.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 AM

Everything sounds great! How would you describe the projection of the hats? They seem a little soft, and I wonder if that's because they're lighter than "real" hi-hats would be.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Everything sounds great! How would you describe the projection of the hats? They seem a little soft, and I wonder if that's because they're lighter than "real" hi-hats would be.
Hey thanks for still watching! It's nice to know people really like it ;)

Anyway, the projection of the "phat hats" is actually softer and less cutting. But I've discovered that I like that. When I'm really laying into them on a groove, if I used my regular hats (14 or 15 New Beats), I'd have to lay back to balance those in with the rest of the kit - they happen to occupy that frequency range where nothing else is (like piccolos in a marching band) so when I lay in to those, they really can obliterate everything else. With the thinner 17 phat hats, I can lay in to them, and they blend nicely, especially with the bass drum, and that's really what I'm going for.

Of course, as the situation calls, I can use my regular hats too, especially in a big band situation where that 2&4 'chick' is so important.

But for my normal, everyday groove playing, the backbeat of 2 & 4 is king, and I want people to get the time from the entire instrument, and not just the hi hats. I love it. The fact that it helps me to eliminate having a separate crash cymbal is an added bonus.

Now as an update - be aware that I'm now getting into using black dots on everything, and my new front head is a black dot with a small 4" port cut in to the front (the batter is a new Remo CS black dot PS3 head (it's a regular clear black dot with the powerstroke muffling ring built-in - very nice). So my wonderful open bass drum tone has gone away in favor of a muffling pillow, with a Shure SM91A flat mic inside. I've decided if I want that wide-open rock n roll bass drum, that's why I have my Ludwig classic maples with the 14x24 bass drum! But this Pearl still sounds pretty good without muffling, with the port on the front. Maybe I can go back and forth - but I plan to record the Pearls alot more.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 PM

The SSC snare goes well with your setup. Did you get a chance to play a Session kit when you were getting the Pearl VIP tour at NAMM?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
The SSC snare goes well with your setup. Did you get a chance to play a Session kit when you were getting the Pearl VIP tour at NAMM?
I got to check out the SSC kit, but Mr. Packard said it was imperative I see the Reference Pures. He was right ;)

And besides, everything was set-up right-handed. So I couldn't really play anything, nor did I want to with the players that were in the room already. I was happy to just float around and gawk at stuff. They did have on display that 16x16 wooden hooped concert/civil war type snare that sounded very cool.