Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
A nice bit of Birdseye
BOOM, the money shot.
Birdseye Maple is never the wrong choice.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
I always use as big a stave as I can, less glue/ more wood=better.
Most of my stock is 1 inch thick which leaves quite a bit to play with on the lathe.
This Birdseye maple is 7x14 and used only 14 staves.

Same as this mahogany/walnut, and I even had room on this to account for the Walnut being a little narrower than the African mahogany.

Copper hardware just blows my mind. Where do you get it?
Old 09-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

It is a custom mixed powder coat. Electrostatic charged powder is sprayed onto the part, then it gets baked in an oven. Really durable finish and I can mix whatever colour needed. I am partial to the Gun Metal colour myself.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

Sneak peak at my latest build. It is a 13X7 snare made from spalted Bubinga. I made the lug casings out of Rosewood as well as the vent hole. DW throw will also get a wood veneer. So far I am building up an oil finish. If I can't get the desired sheen I will clear and polish
Old 09-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Let me show you my Odery Custom Solid Shell 14x6 (Steam Bent) in Araucaria wood :

Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Sweet looking shell. Looks a lot like Maple, same characteristics?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Sweet looking shell. Looks a lot like Maple, same characteristics?
Indeed, Araucaria gives more low ends. Kinda mix between Mahogany and Maple.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Some ovangkol segmented hoops I'm finishing today. Pictured here drying after their first shellac coat. Two more coats to go with sanding in-between coats, then about 5 applications of hard wax & buff to a nice lustre. Of course, never any stain ;)
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

I like the shop photos. Nice on the hoops too :-)
Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I like the shop photos. Nice on the hoops too :-)
Thanks :) Most wouldn't believe the work in those hoops. To the stage pictured, you're looking at 9 full days!!!

As for the finishing shop, I'm putting together some video clips of me running some shells through. Nothing fancy, should have it up within the week if you're interested. We'll only ever show finishing shop activities because many of the processes in the shell shop are proprietary.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Thought this might be of interest. It's the first time we've partnered American black walnut with ovangkol. 20" x 14" bass drum (part of a full set), both shell & hoops part way through construction/finishing. I think the visual works especially well :)
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Beautiful wood combo.
How's the sound?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonzo1 View Post
Beautiful wood combo.
How's the sound?
Thank you :) Just finished it up this morning. Crazy low clean fundamental with gut wrenching punch. Every design element working together beautifully as planned. I'm delighted!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Doen't come cloe to any of the stuff I am seeing on here, but here my cherry Dixon. Dream is still an ash steam bent guru snare ever since LDS with ovangkol hoops. Just perfect to me, but something il never afford. Maybe one day i can afford a pair of hoops for my dixon but thats ages away yet and the closest il get to guru.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Doen't come cloe to any of the stuff I am seeing on here, but here my cherry Dixon. Dream is still an ash steam bent guru snare ever since LDS with ovangkol hoops. Just perfect to me, but something il never afford. Maybe one day i can afford a pair of hoops for my dixon but thats ages away yet and the closest il get to guru.
Is this drum a 13" 8 hole?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
14x5.5 10 lug snare. Same dimensions i dream of a steam bent ash in. Curse you for getting me on that free floating kit and choosing that snare for me to put on and making me fall in love with it. Loved that kit.... speaking of it, where is it now?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Doesn't get much more "woody" than this :)
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2014, 05:19 PM

Oh my Keep it Simple-that is one beautiful drum kit (it's difficult to type with all the drool on the slippery keys but I'll give it a try)-and with the background just artistically beautifully well done. Just add a sound bite so I can hear that scrumptious "woodiness". It really is "Art" and you almost wouldn't want to play but just display them-like the crown jewels. But the stool is called a "throne" so I guess you can play with your jewels. hee,hee,hee.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Doesn't get much more "woody" than this :)
Do your bass drums only come with the ovangkol hoops or do you have other options available?

Also, are you eliminating the steam bent option for kits? You had mentioned in a previous thread that your segmented shells have been your primary focus and you believe it is your best success for sound. Much of the work we have been seeing from you has been segmented and stave shells.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Beautiful work Andy, truly. Looking at that set makes me crave chocolate and caramel. Just yummy!

Gomez Addams
Old 10-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Beautiful work Andy, truly. Looking at that set makes me crave chocolate and caramel. Just yummy!
Thanks Larry, & yes, it does have that visual. Actually, that's reflected in it's tones too. Very satisfying low fundamental from fairly small drums, but with a power that belies their size. A very specific brief from a very specific customer. We won't be building another one. Frankly, a nightmare to build, but a wonderful result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
you almost wouldn't want to play but just display them-like the crown jewels.
Many often make that observation about our drums, but they're built for the job at hand. These will certainly be gigged hard, as the owner is playing for a number of acts each week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Do your bass drums only come with the ovangkol hoops or do you have other options available?

Also, are you eliminating the steam bent option for kits? You had mentioned in a previous thread that your segmented shells have been your primary focus and you believe it is your best success for sound. Much of the work we have been seeing from you has been segmented and stave shells.
Our signature hoops are available in ovangkol, English ash, maple, & oak. Ordinarily, on this build, we'd use English ash, but the customer specified ovangkol. For us, it's a tonal fit first, visual fit second.

We do have our steam bent drums on the back burner for now, but not for too long. We encountered a production issue with the In-Tense steam bent shells that will take a while to resolve. In-Tense steam bent shells are much more difficult to make than standard steam bent shells, & the standard ones aren't exactly easy! There's a performance rationale behind the current position too. It was always our intention to take Origin purely segmented once we had the other ranges in place. It suits Origin's design brief perfectly. Additionally, we developed In-Tense segmented shells in parallel to steam bent, & frankly, their performance exceeded our expectations, so we brought them to the fore.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:05 AM
"Uncle Larry"

How was it a nightmare to build? I mean those outer re-rings look to be a bugger for sure, and not to trivialize anything, but why was it any harder than other Origin kits?

Gomez Addams
Old 10-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
How was it a nightmare to build? I mean those outer re-rings look to be a bugger for sure, and not to trivialize anything, but why was it any harder than other Origin kits?
This particular batch of walnut, although superb, was very open grained - even for walnut. That's great in terms of super low fundamental, but a real bugger in terms of finishing & satisfactory forming of end grain. This Origin stave was a first. All milled/turned as a complete shell, rather than external rerings being added with horizontal grain. This means a lot of end grain finishing, as well as having to carry out some specific build testing to make sure the external resigns were strong enough. As this is a dedicated low tuning kit (a specific request from the customer), we were sufficiently satisfied it was up to the job with a good safety margin. Walnut is not a structurally strong species, especially pulling in line with end grain. We wouldn't be happy with this for general release, as we have to factor in abuse & second ownership,

Origin series is dedicated segmented construction, & will stay that way. We very rarely consider a truly one off build, but the customer was happy & enthusiastic to carry through the project, even with it's inherent risks. Of course, we needed to be happy that the risk was small before agreeing to do it ourselves. It took over 160 hours to build this kit. That's not an economical general market proposition.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Our signature hoops are available in ovangkol, English ash, maple, & oak. Ordinarily, on this build, we'd use English ash, but the customer specified ovangkol. For us, it's a tonal fit first, visual fit second.
So the construction of the hoops is all the same? No steam bent hoops with traditional claws are available? I know the claws would add hardware mass and you guys are against that, but for someone looking for a more traditional style would you offer this option?

Quote:
We do have our steam bent drums on the back burner for now, but not for too long. We encountered a production issue with the In-Tense steam bent shells that will take a while to resolve. In-Tense steam bent shells are much more difficult to make than standard steam bent shells, & the standard ones aren't exactly easy! There's a performance rationale behind the current position too. It was always our intention to take Origin purely segmented once we had the other ranges in place. It suits Origin's design brief perfectly. Additionally, we developed In-Tense segmented shells in parallel to steam bent, & frankly, their performance exceeded our expectations, so we brought them to the fore.
So how do you define your different lines of drums? We know the names Origin and In Tense, and it sounds like a new line will be coming out as well. What separates the different lines?
Old 10-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So the construction of the hoops is all the same? No steam bent hoops with traditional claws are available? I know the claws would add hardware mass and you guys are against that, but for someone looking for a more traditional style would you offer this option?
No, we don't offer steam bent hoops & claws. We have done so in the past, but they don't offer any sonic benefits to our low mass drums, in fact, quite the reverse in most circumstances

As a general point, & this is not meant in a high handed way, but we're not a custom drum company. We offer highly researched constructions that deliver to certain performance criteria. Only in exceptional circumstances do we deviate from our core designs.

Quote:
So how do you define your different lines of drums? We know the names Origin and In Tense, and it sounds like a new line will be coming out as well. What separates the different lines?
I'll keep this brief, as this is not a Guru thread.

Origin series = strong fundamental, extreme overtone control, purity of note - the ultimate recording kit.

In-Tense series = rich fundamental, full engagement of carefully shaped higher overtones, open, dynamic, expressive.

Tour series (new) = dominant fundamental, fairly focussed, explosive delivery, articulate, extreme tonal projection - a live performance focussed instrument.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
No, we don't offer steam bent hoops & claws. We have done so in the past, but they don't offer any sonic benefits to our low mass drums, in fact, quite the reverse in most circumstances

As a general point, & this is not meant in a high handed way, but we're not a custom drum company. We offer highly researched constructions that deliver to certain performance criteria. Only in exceptional circumstances do we deviate from our core designs.

I'll keep this brief, as this is not a Guru thread.

Origin series = strong fundamental, extreme overtone control, purity of note - the ultimate recording kit.

In-Tense series = rich fundamental, full engagement of carefully shaped higher overtones, open, dynamic, expressive.

Tour series (new) = dominant fundamental, fairly focussed, explosive delivery, articulate, extreme tonal projection - a live performance focussed instrument.
Hmm, thats an interesting way to define your lines. Certainly different to every other manufacturer out there. I wont take up more time in this thread with questions. Thanks for answering the questions I did have.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

So who needs stain when nature gives you this?
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
How much actually would a pair of 10 hole 14" hoops cost for a snare? Im thinking of asking parents for a joint birthday xmas present if its not too dear :)
Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 PM

Here my Tamburo Opera Zebrawood Maple Birch

Old 10-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

good grief that is stunning!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Now this is what the highest quality solid bubinga can look like! This is not made of different colour staves. It's the transition between heartwood & sapwood. Almost impossible to seamlessly match to this standard, unless your name happens to be Dean Price :)
Attached Images

Last edited by keep it simple; 10-31-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

That snare has the force of a thousand suns. Holy crap.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Dear gods... makes my dixon even more insignificant lol. Im just glad il be in the presence of one of these next week, thats an honour on its own.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
That snare has the force of a thousand suns. Holy crap.
& weighs nearly the same :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Dear gods... makes my dixon even more insignificant lol.
It's significant, because it's yours :)
Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now this is what the highest quality solid bubinga can look like! This is not made of different colour staves. It's the transition between heartwood & sapwood. Almost impossible to seamlessly match to this standard, unless your name happens to be Dean Price :)
This drum seriously messes with my head. It's a solid that mimics a stave. Freaky and beautiful.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
This drum seriously messes with my head. It's a solid that mimics a stave. Freaky and beautiful.
Hi DMC, good to have you here :)

I think I/we got lost in the terminology. This drum is stave construction, but staves of alternate colouring are not used to get the visual effect. In other words, there isn't a light stave, then a dark stave, then another light one, etc, as is the case with a mixed timber species example. The individual staves are taken from a specific part of the log, the section that transitions heart wood & sap wood. They're then effectively book matched to get the seamless cohesive look to the shell.

The reason for doing this isn't just visual, it's also a tonal choice.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

I generally try to make my staves flow together as one. I absolutely hate the look of stripey stave shells.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I generally try to make my staves flow together as one. I absolutely hate the look of stripey stave shells.
Do you hate the bubinga one I posted below? You do know that's how the wood is naturally at transition between heartwood & sapwood? It's not alternate light/dark stave sections. Or have I got your post completely wrong? To get that match is really difficult. All's cool BTW :)
Old 11-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

No, you read me wrong. That Bubinga is what I go for. The stripey ugliness I refer to is like the alternating walnut/maple combos that seem to dominate the online auction sites. I did build one, and it did sound better than any snare I have ever had, but the visual killed its appeal for me.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, you read me wrong. That Bubinga is what I go for. The stripey ugliness I refer to is like the alternating walnut/maple combos that seem to dominate the online auction sites.
Ah, ok, got you :) Yes, I agree. We have done alternate staves or segments on a few occasions where a specific set of sonic criteria was at play, but I'm naturally a single species guy. That said, we are building some new kit drums that feature a single stave of a different wood, but there's a reason behind that ;)