Recurring dream - drum related

Spence

I have a recurring dream where I either:

(i) find an old splash cymbal in the street and can't believe my luck; or
(ii) am in a shop and want to try out the splashes.

In both cases they're 6 inch splashes (I have an 8 and 10 already) or smaller. Yet, for some reason I can never get the splashes home.

I've had this for years. Anyone else have drum related dreams?

I'm kind of an expert on dreams, and this one probably means that the next time you use the rest room, you'll have something splash back on your bum.

I'm kind of an expert on dreams, and this one probably means that the next time you use the rest room, you'll have something splash back on your bum.

... providing Spence's seating 6" above the water level :)

Sometimes I dream I'm a great drummer... then I wake up :(

Yea I had a dream the other night that my crash was still intact.....Unfortunately when I awoke it was still cracked to buggary!

Would a drum related dream be called a druam? And if I was breathing loudly during it, would my wife tell me to stop snaring? Of course, I don't think I have to mention the symbalism of the druams, either.

I only recall one dream about the drums. It was maybe 1980-ish. It wasn't about playing, it was about the kit. My kit was different. All of the hardware was black chrome (darker than the smokey nickel stuff you see now) and the cymbals were also sort of black, but still shiny. This was when everything was bright, shiny and chrome ruled. I was looking for something different at the time and it seems I had a prescient dream about Goth.

I have a recurring dream about finding a Ludwig WMP 20,13,16 kit at a tag sale for $80. Hasn't come true yet but i keep hoping.

I often have dreams that my band from the 90's has a reunion gig.

The circumstances are often different in dream to dream. Sometimes I am being bribed heavily to even consider being in the same room as the singer. Sometimes it's just a free gig at a some little bar where no one is coming to see us and I'm asking myself, why the *bleep* am I doing this?? Often it's something in between to the two extremes.

A few other times it's a similar dream with a different band I've been in. The venue may change from dream to dream. But often everything is cool, and great, and just as I walk onto the stage, it occurs to me, wait, we haven't rehearsed......

One or twice the dream is I'm just filling in with a band I know nothing about at the last minute, and as I go to count off the first song, it will occur to me, I don't know this bands material, or even what kind of band it is (and it's an original band, not covers, or else that wouldn't be a problem).

I once dreamt that I practiced really hard for six hours. That was the dream. Just me working from New Breed, cleaning up my rudiments, playing along to songs etc.
Woke up and realised that the day of practice I'd just put in didn't actually happen and that'd I'd have to do it all again for real this time...

......I've always been curious as to whether the dream practicing was beneficial/counted as practice, though haha.

I once dreamt that I practiced really hard for six hours. That was the dream. Just me working from New Breed, cleaning up my rudiments, playing along to songs etc.
Woke up and realised that the day of practice I'd just put in didn't actually happen and that'd I'd have to do it all again for real this time...

......I've always been curious as to whether the dream practicing was beneficial/counted as practice, though haha.

It wasn't physical, but it was mental - so it should count. ;-)

The bands in my dreams change, but the theme is the same. I find myself on stage, sometimes with random bands like Mettalica, Dave Mathews Band, or even my band. The band will begin the song, I will look down and my drums are not ready to play. Like I am in Ulrich's kit, and the bass drums are set up side by side withe the snare off to the left. Or in my band, where the guitarist starts the intro, I have sticks in hand, and notice my drums and hardware are still in cases.

I have similar dreams about me being back in the Army and I can't find my cover or something. this is always distressing to me because I don't lose anything. I think it's some just general anxiety dream with many sequels.

Have you ever heard that if you die in a dream you really die?

Well.... I died in a dream and I'm still here.

I was walking behind a deuce and a half full of Philippine soldiers and one was goofing off pointing his M1 Garand at me as I walked by.... and it was loaded and he accidently touched off a round and I got hit, saw the look of utter disbelief on his face and... died.

Woke up, got out of bed... dragged a comb across my head... and the rest is history and guess what? I don't believe any dream interpretations any longer.

Never had many dreams to begin with and usually I forget them about 18 seconds after I wake up. But that one stuck with me.

Weird dream tho'

Every time I dream about drumming or playing with a band we always suck hard. Playing is usually difficult and my throne is often too high. I don't want to know what my subconscious is trying to tell me.

Your dream means you need to pee.

Got a pretty funny one from the other night. Only remember one part of the dream.

Somehow in this ridiculous dream, I'm filling in for Hawkins with the freaking foo fighters, playing at some huge outdoor show with a sea of people that I can't see the end of after the lights drop off. The funny part was that even in my dream, this was a totally nuts situation, I mean, there's just no way in hell. So anyway, the stage lights come up, everyone goes f'n nuts, and I realize with a sense of doom that I don't even know what song we're going to play first, though I suppose that pales in comparison to the fact that I don't know that many foo songs, in fact, I only have one album! In the midst of this dream, it all hits me.

And then they start a song. I don't remember which. I do remember feeling just ever so slightly relieved that I actually recognized it and thought I knew the structure. Didn't matter. I could hear through my fancy crystal clear in ear monitors that I was just stinking the place up, very noticeably having a negative impact on the music. We made it to the end of the whole song, and it was really excruciating to the point I wanted to crawl away and die.

The clearest part of the dream was one of the last parts I remember. Dave Grohl turns around with a half-pity, half-"what the hell was that" face, and says: "Came in a little late on that one, huh?"

--
When I woke up, you have no idea how happy I was that I did not in fact get roped into playing at a huge foo fighter show.

I have a recurring dream where I either:

(i) find an old splash cymbal in the street and can't believe my luck; or
(ii) am in a shop and want to try out the splashes.

In both cases they're 6 inch splashes (I have an 8 and 10 already) or smaller. Yet, for some reason I can never get the splashes home.

I've had this for years. Anyone else have drum related dreams?

What a great thread!

I used to dream that one of my band's previous drummers (who were all better than me at the time) came back to rejoin the band ... And I was out.... General insecurity dream! Hehe.

I think your splashes dream is not about splashes at all, but about something else you really want, but is just out of your reach.

Last edited:
I think your splashes dream is not about splashes at all, but about something else you really want, but is just out of your reach.

So good to see other drum related dreams!

I've come to the conclusion that my dream is about me constantly looking for the final piece to my life in order to feel complete - but I can't quite make it happen. That and I literally do want a 6 inch splash. Maybe I'll buy one and see what happens! :)

I've had dreams where I'll be playing and what I seem to play is absolutely awful. But at the same time, I'll be enjoying it and people watching will like it. I'm thinking "man, my body is working against my mind" because there's no flow or mechanics to what I'm doing. Weird stuff.

I literally do want a 6 inch splash. Maybe I'll buy one and see what happens! :)

Good plan! :) do post back what happens / how dreams change after you get the 6" inch splash.

I had a dream that was afloat in the ocean sitting naked atop an inverted ride cymbal. I couldn't stand or move as my bum was plugging the hole at the bell, and I knew I'd sink if I unplugged it.

I used to have two recurring dreams. Once after I fractured my patella (knee cap) I used to wake up literally running in slow motion. Think 6 million dollar man. I was still in school studying phys ed. so this bothered me. Then years later I had one where I was studying my arse off to pass an English exam, and fearful I would fail, even after I had graduated college. Both have gone now so I think time will erode the thought. I now have one where I find a great job just before I retire. Ha

Back