DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-02-2014, 05:40 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default I'm a snare addict!

A little while back I was down to five snare... now I'm back up to 12!

1. DW Collectors 7x12 Edge (New Addition)
2. DW Collectors 30th Anniversary R30 Starman 6x14 Edge (New Addition)
3. DW Collectors Acoustic EQ 6x14 (New Addition)
4. DW Jazz Series 5x14 (New Addition)
5. Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute 5.5x14 (New Addition)
6. Rogers Dynasonic 5x14 (New Addition)
7. Tama Master Craft Chrome over Seamless Heavy Gauge Steel 5x14 (New Addition)
8. Tama King Beat Chrome over Seamless Heavy Gauge Steel 6.5x14
9. Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x13
10. World Max Phosphor Bronze 6.5x14
11. Premier Signia Seamless Brass 7x14
12. Pearl Marvin "Smitty" Smith Copper 4x14

Some pics! (Shot Quickly with the camera on my phone) All are here, but the Dynasonic, The Premier, and the Smitty... they were at the bottom in hard cases and I was too lazy to get them out. :rolleyes:









__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
mcj600 mcj600 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Nice collection! I have the same affliction... I think I'm up to 7 or 8...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:47 PM
twelvenotes's Avatar
twelvenotes twelvenotes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Is there a cure? I've lost count - over 30 for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Southpaw99's Avatar
Southpaw99 Southpaw99 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 177
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

I'm definitely a snare addict, but I've also recently become a cymbal addict. Difference is I then get afraid of cracking them so I use them sparingly and put the really nice ones right back in the pouch.
__________________
Mapex Saturns
DW Collectors & Pearl Reference snares
Sabian AAX & HHX cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 PM
RickP's Avatar
RickP RickP is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 856
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Interesting that the OP doesn't own a Supra 400; 402 or Acrolite, three of the most recommended and recorded snare drums.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,513
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Great stuff!
Let me know if you ever decide to sell that World Max Bronze :-)
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,525
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Any one of those stand out as a favorite?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Southpaw99's Avatar
Southpaw99 Southpaw99 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 177
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Does anyone else but me not count the snares that come with the kits we own? I have 5 snares I bought and 3 that came with kits but I don't count those for some reason.
__________________
Mapex Saturns
DW Collectors & Pearl Reference snares
Sabian AAX & HHX cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:28 AM
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 362
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Wow with all those snares do you all have a favorite-or is it more like a mood ring and it changes. LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,525
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw99 View Post
Does anyone else but me not count the snares that come with the kits we own? I have 5 snares I bought and 3 that came with kits but I don't count those for some reason.
They're snare drums - I count them. The difference for me is that they probably won't be for sale separately.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj600 View Post
Nice collection! I have the same affliction... I think I'm up to 7 or 8...
It's so hard to stop! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvenotes View Post
Is there a cure? I've lost count - over 30 for sure!
I haven't come across a cure yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw99 View Post
I'm definitely a snare addict, but I've also recently become a cymbal addict. Difference is I then get afraid of cracking them so I use them sparingly and put the really nice ones right back in the pouch.
I'm picking that bug up too! There are a lot of Paiste cymbals in my radar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Interesting that the OP doesn't own a Supra 400; 402 or Acrolite, three of the most recommended and recorded snare drums.
I used to have an Acro and a Pearl Sensitone Aluminum, and I wasn't so moved by the aluminum to keep them... they sounded really good to, but I ultimately sold them to bring in gear that really got my juices flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Great stuff!
Let me know if you ever decide to sell that World Max Bronze :-)
I have a lot of people who are after me for that World Max! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Any one of those stand out as a favorite?
The World Max, The Acoustic EQ, The Tama Mastercraft are really stuck in my head right now, but they all sound outstanding and get time on the stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw99 View Post
Does anyone else but me not count the snares that come with the kits we own? I have 5 snares I bought and 3 that came with kits but I don't count those for some reason.
I don't have any that came with a kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Wow with all those snares do you all have a favorite-or is it more like a mood ring and it changes. LOL.
It changes and I use a different one almost everytime a play, but some seem to find their way to the stand pretty often.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM
twelvenotes's Avatar
twelvenotes twelvenotes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw99 View Post
I'm definitely a snare addict, but I've also recently become a cymbal addict. Difference is I then get afraid of cracking them so I use them sparingly and put the really nice ones right back in the pouch.
I've been diagnosed with Zildjianitis! The good news is it's not fatal. The bad news is it's I incurable and expensive to medicate.

I know...I should get a Zildjian snare! See!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 PM
uniongoon's Avatar
uniongoon uniongoon is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: caesarea over looking the lake southern ontario
Posts: 1,070
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Interesting that the OP doesn't own a Supra 400; 402 or Acrolite, three of the most recommended and recorded snare drums.
Why does this seem anal? Are we supposed to adhere to some made up in your mind code of snare buying conduct?
__________________
See my Signia's
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73869
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

So, It's happened again. I just changed a hose in the engine of my car and I wanted to drive to test it out, so I went to Guitar Center with my kids to pass some time. I walked by the snare wall and i tapped a few snares. I decided to mess around with a Pork Pie cherry/bubinga 7x14 snares since I have a thing for metal shelled snares and wanted to venture out a little. This drum has a unique character for a wood shell due to the 4 plies of cherry and 3 inner plies of bubinga. It has a nice body, and a great crack with a good amount of warmth and moderate ring. I loved it! I wasn't planning on spending any money but when I looked at the price, it was clearanced to $150, down from $299 so I put it on layaway. For some reason, it takes a really nice sound from an all wooden snare to make it into my lineup. This drum will make only my fourth all wood drum in a 13 snare lineup.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:47 PM
RickP's Avatar
RickP RickP is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 856
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
Why does this seem anal? Are we supposed to adhere to some made up in your mind code of snare buying conduct?
Where in my post did I use the term "anal" ? I was simply stating that I was interested that they did not own a a Supra or an Acrolite.

Last edited by RickP; 03-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 AM
lsits's Avatar
lsits lsits is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 688
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysticks View Post
So, It's happened again. I just changed a hose in the engine of my car and I wanted to drive to test it out, so I went to Guitar Center with my kids to pass some time. I walked by the snare wall and i tapped a few snares. I decided to mess around with a Pork Pie cherry/bubinga 7x14 snares since I have a thing for metal shelled snares and wanted to venture out a little. This drum has a unique character for a wood shell due to the 4 plies of cherry and 3 inner plies of bubinga. It has a nice body, and a great crack with a good amount of warmth and moderate ring. I loved it! I wasn't planning on spending any money but when I looked at the price, it was clearanced to $150, down from $299 so I put it on layaway. For some reason, it takes a really nice sound from an all wooden snare to make it into my lineup. This drum will make only my fourth all wood drum in a 13 snare lineup.
I got this exact model a few weeks ago when the price was marked down from $299 to $229. You got a great deal for $150. I demoed a few snare drums at Guitar Center and I kept coming back to this one. I agree about the unique sound but I can see it working for a number of genres. I play classic rock and surf styles but I think it would work for jazz and funk as well.

I'm kind of the opposite of you. I have four snare drums and only one is metal. (Chad Smith)
__________________
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsits View Post
I got this exact model a few weeks ago when the price was marked down from $299 to $229. You got a great deal for $150. I demoed a few snare drums at Guitar Center and I kept coming back to this one. I agree about the unique sound but I can see it working for a number of genres. I play classic rock and surf styles but I think it would work for jazz and funk as well.

I'm kind of the opposite of you. I have four snare drums and only one is metal. (Chad Smith)
At that price, I couldn't pass it up especially considering how nice it sounded. It has it's own sound that I like for wood snares. I'm tempted to go back and get the beech one to because that one was also discounted and sounds great! The beech drum was more "in your face" with a great snap and projection. Bill at Pork Pie makes some nice drums.
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 AM
AirborneSFC's Avatar
AirborneSFC AirborneSFC is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany (Bavaria)
Posts: 988
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Welcome to the club! I have a few more not pictured here either. A lot of my snares are from the 60's. More or less all my snares except my Sonor snares are from the 60's. I do have a black panther also that I dig.

__________________
Spiralfire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI
Poison Anthem
Session Work
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
Welcome to the club! I have a few more not pictured here either. A lot of my snares are from the 60's. More or less all my snares except my Sonor snares are from the 60's. I do have a black panther also that I dig.

Beautiful collection! I love the Gretsch on the bottom and the Greb!
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2014, 06:56 PM
AirborneSFC's Avatar
AirborneSFC AirborneSFC is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany (Bavaria)
Posts: 988
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Thanks! I have another old school round badge gretsch snare (model 4157) on the way.
__________________
Spiralfire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI
Poison Anthem
Session Work
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

So... it happened again! Lol I went to a drum shop and saw this beautiful brass snare! A World Max brass 6.5x14 with brass die-cast hoops and tube lugs! This is another rare bird from World Max to go along with my bronze snare. There's no pictures or info about this snare online and the owner at the shop says that it may be a one off or a very limited run. This snare doesn't have a center bead and it has a knurled engraving all the way around the center. It sounds amazing! I love nice brass snares!




__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-15-2014, 04:37 PM
stellar92010 stellar92010 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Diego, but my home is New Mexico
Posts: 162
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

God do I ever love the sound and looks of a great big fat brass snare.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

I went into GC on my lunch break just to pass the time and when I walked in there I saw a 7x13 snare on a stand. I figured I'd check it out since I like that size and I only have one 13" snare (A 5.5x13 bronze Mapex Black Panther). So I hit it and it had such a nice loud warm crack! I looked and it was a Tama Silverstar. I asked the clerk when they started selling separate Silverstar snares. He said that they didn't and that someone had just bought a kit and immediately traded the snare in without even trying it. It was brand new. The tag showed $69.99 and well... you know the rest! lol

6 ply 6mm Birch shell with stained/finished interior.



__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 AM
jbonzo1 jbonzo1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 120
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Snares are the shoes of the drum set.
I'm in the mid forties and have my eye on a few more. $150 for that Pork Pie was a steal!
Here's one of my favorites, Bearing Edge 6x13 Bubinga with Olive Ash hoops. Sounds as good as it looks.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Beam Me Up Scotty's Avatar
Beam Me Up Scotty Beam Me Up Scotty is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 636
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Dirtysticks, I think we're both addicted to your snares.

Seriously, what the hell is with your luck?

How much did that brass World Max set you back? It looks absolutely killer.
__________________
"God is dead." - Nietzsche, 1882

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-05-2014, 12:07 AM
Dirtysticks's Avatar
Dirtysticks Dirtysticks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 380
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam Me Up Scotty View Post
Dirtysticks, I think we're both addicted to your snares.

Seriously, what the hell is with your luck?

How much did that brass World Max set you back? It looks absolutely killer.
I seem to have the greatest luck with drum deals... That WorldMax Brass was $160
__________________
Pearl Masters Studio
Pearl Prestige Session Select
An array of snares
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Beam Me Up Scotty's Avatar
Beam Me Up Scotty Beam Me Up Scotty is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 636
Default Re: I'm a snare addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysticks View Post
I seem to have the greatest luck with drum deals... That WorldMax Brass was $160
You lucky bugger!
I wish I had pawn shops near me...
__________________
"God is dead." - Nietzsche, 1882

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com