DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Default Used the Yamaha Live Custom in the studio recently... (video)

Hey guys. I got to use my Live Custom setup this past weekend in a local studio. My band "Revence" is recording our next release and this video is from the first session. We recorded all of the music for 4 songs and the video below is what the drums sounded like in the room.

The audio is from my Zoom Q3HD recorder, not from any mics you see on the drums or around the room.

This set was very impressive. The bass drum, snare, toms, cymbals, etc... all sounded fantastic!!!

Using mostly Paiste 2002 cymbals with a Zildjian K Custom Dark Complex ride on the far right side. Please read the description for more info!

I think it sounds killer! Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIYHDWpF0Hs
Old 02-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Used the Yamaha Live Custom in the studio recently... (video)

Thanks for sharing Sarge. What a wonderful setup, guitar players with volume controls and live drums! eh? eh?

I notice from this video and the comparison one you shot that you like your toms tuned on the low end. I would have really loved to hear those sweet recording customs in a Bonham tuning, let em' really sing.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Thanks for sharing Sarge. What a wonderful setup, guitar players with volume controls and live drums! eh? eh?

I notice from this video and the comparison one you shot that you like your toms tuned on the low end. I would have really loved to hear those sweet recording customs in a Bonham tuning, let em' really sing.
Thanks! I didn't really plan to capture the drum audio like that, but someone was filming for us to hopefully put together a video in the future. The Zoom caught the drum audio by default, so I figured I'd post it!

I've experimented with tuning alot the past year and I always find the best tones (to me), by slowly raising the pitch and stopping at what I consider the sweet spot. It's never very high up in pitch.

I've tried tuning higher a few times, but not alot. It always sounds choked to me, but I should probably experiment more.

It seems to me that in general, toms and bass drums liked to be tuned just to where they start singing, which is always low?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

I'd like to hear snippets through the mics.

The kick and snare sounded great. It hard to judge the toms going just through the zoom.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
I think it sounds killer! Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIYHDWpF0Hs
I think it sounds great! I can hear everything I need to hear from the zoom. It tells me what's really happening, & I'm sure the close mic's really picked up nicely on the clean sound. Nice relaxed playing too BTW :)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I think it sounds great! I can hear everything I need to hear from the zoom. It tells me what's really happening, & I'm sure the close mic's really picked up nicely on the clean sound. Nice relaxed playing too BTW :)
Thank you sir! I was going to say that the Zoom is really accurate as far as handheld recorders (as you know!) This is pretty much exactly how this kit sounds in person, which I realize may not be for everyone. But I sure do enjoy playing it. :)

I can't wait to hear it mixed. The engineer used small Octava condensers on the tom batters, which surprised me. Sounded good that day, though. The most impressive of the bunch when sitting in the control room was the tones from the snare and the bass drum. Very nice!

He had a total of 11 or 12 mics on the kit, plus a couple of room mics that I didn't really get to hear much.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

Here are some pics for those that may be more interested in mic'ing details.

This was the night before, when I planned to use my Giant Beat for that last slower grooving song in the video. I made a last minute decision to use a K Custom Dark Complex ride instead, which was perfect.
Attached Images