DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,840
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Okay, I have a question for WhoIsTony:

Ants, in some of those old clips of the Who performing on TV, Moonie seems to be holding the sticks almost like waving a magic wand, pointing it out from his index finger.

Was that a technique of some kind or did he just like the way it looked? Most of the performances I saw it on seemed to have been lip-synched, so I'm not sure it was even really something he used.
I used to wonder about that too. You answered your own question. nearly all of those old TV appearances were all lip-synched.

I think the "magic wand" things was him in part trying to not bash the drums, and in part, because he knew he couldn't 100% mime his parts, he was just having fun with the camera.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I used to wonder about that too. You answered your own question. nearly all of those old TV appearances were all lip-synched.

I think the "magic wand" things was him in part trying to not bash the drums, and in part, because he knew he couldn't 100% mime his parts, he was just having fun with the camera.
this

although Keith did use that odd technique while playing softer parts on cymbals at times when actually playing as well

some of my favorite Moonie playing right here....on F'n FIRE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRPdfg46NjI

the Stones would never allow this TV performance to be aired because they knew they got blown out of the water by the Who
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,749
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
some of my favorite Moonie playing right here....on F'n FIRE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRPdfg46NjI
Love live Who clips! Keith covers a fair range there too.

Funny thing, the talk of Moonie's looseness. If he wanted to play tightly he'd probably be reduced to simplifying a great deal, in which case I imagine he wouldn't bother and find something else to do.

Tony, I agree re: "force of nature". He wasn't wedded to drums the way many of us are. He never practised in his free time - there's the famous anecdote about him not touching a kit in years and having to re-learn for the Who Are You sessions.

I love that mad wash Keith puts behind Pete's structures. A key thing is that his volume is way lower in the mix than is usual today, especially the kicks and snare. It's a different way of playing.
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Pachikara-Tharakan's Avatar
Pachikara-Tharakan Pachikara-Tharakan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Germany
Posts: 479
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Today what we need is a guitarist, singer and a bassist who has the same mentality like Pete, Roger and John who appreciates that kind of drumming......its a wait and see situation.
__________________
trying Moonie's approach.. in vain
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,749
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

After reading all this chat about Keith's wand technique I ran into this Chris Dave video where he uses the wand technique, especially late in the song 3:35 to 3:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpd_CYrU_Yk
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,840
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Love live Who clips! Keith covers a fair range there too.

Funny thing, the talk of Moonie's looseness. If he wanted to play tightly he'd probably be reduced to simplifying a great deal, in which case I imagine he wouldn't bother and find something else to do.
The funny is, for a guy known for being loose and not always with great time, he was the first guy to play with a pre-recorded sequencer on stage, and hand no problem doing so.


Quote:
- there's the famous anecdote about him not touching a kit in years and having to re-learn for the Who Are You sessions.
Yes, much to the rest of the bands frustration. They ended up recording "The Music Must Change" without Keith over this.

Quote:
A key thing is that his volume is way lower in the mix than is usual today, especially the kicks and snare. It's a different way of playing.
Very true.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Keith Moon didn't play. It was Bernard Purdie. He told me so ;)
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Brian Brian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 720
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

An instructor I studied with for a while called it "stabbing" technique (the "wand" discussion). It's pretty cool sounding on the ride cymbal especially, you can get some great effects

much like Elvin used the "monkey grip" with the thumb facing down, it wasn't a lapse in technique but a conscious decision to achieve a particular sound. However, I don't know if Keith Moon made a conscious decision to do this or it was just his poor technique, since the "wand" grip wasn't used the same way as I was shown.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Pachikara-Tharakan's Avatar
Pachikara-Tharakan Pachikara-Tharakan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Germany
Posts: 479
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

I wouldnt say Keith was the best drummer or the greatest drummer. But one thing is sure.. he was the luckiest drummer ever in rock who wanted to play the way he wanted whenever he wanted without being kicked out of the band, and still cranking out albums like Tommy (now covered theatrically by The Broadway!)., without even knowing how to read musical notes.!

The drums are at perfect sound volume in Whos Next and little more louder and clearer in Live at Leeds. I wish the drums were recorded little bit louder, heavier and clearer in Tommy (sounds too tinny), By Numbers (too muddy) and Who are you.
__________________
trying Moonie's approach.. in vain

Last edited by Pachikara-Tharakan; 11-25-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 2,164
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
An instructor I studied with for a while called it "stabbing" technique (the "wand" discussion). It's pretty cool sounding on the ride cymbal especially, you can get some great effects

much like Elvin used the "monkey grip" with the thumb facing down, it wasn't a lapse in technique but a conscious decision to achieve a particular sound. However, I don't know if Keith Moon made a conscious decision to do this or it was just his poor technique, since the "wand" grip wasn't used the same way as I was shown.
Interesting analysis of his playing and here we can see his approach on the kit... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SWP3qI7Rg
__________________
"Music is the traveler crossing our world, meeting so many people, bridging the seas"
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Raelthomas's Avatar
Raelthomas Raelthomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 119
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Sloppily. I understand why people love him but I can't stand his playing in live recordings. I'm more interested in his antics.

I'm running away now.
__________________
Pearl Masterworks Custom 4-ply Maple
Tama Starclassic Performer Birch
Sabian, Meinl, Paiste
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-19-2013, 07:51 PM
MisterZero's Avatar
MisterZero MisterZero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 310
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelthomas View Post
Sloppily. I understand why people love him but I can't stand his playing in live recordings. I'm more interested in his antics.

I'm running away now.
My sentiments exactly. good job, Rael.
__________________
Gretsch Maple Renown, Cherry Burst
Sabian AA
Vic Firth 7A
Gibraltar
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,749
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelthomas View Post
Sloppily. I understand why people love him but I can't stand his playing in live recordings. I'm more interested in his antics.

I'm running away now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero View Post
My sentiments exactly. good job, Rael.
Do you mind if I ask roughly what age you guys are? I'm guessing that Keith was before your time. I have a little theory that younger people are less tolerant of imprecision than oldies (I'm, um, > 50).
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-22-2013, 03:23 AM
Velocette Velocette is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

I saw the Who play live in the Roundhouse in London, having previously seen them only on TV music shows, where they were obviously miming to pre-recorded tracks, which is guaranteed to make anyone look lame.

I loved their recordings, but wasn't quite prepared for how devastatingly impressive they would be live, they were stunning.

Townsend admits that Moonie was the 'power house' of the band. In the same way, Mitch Mitchell provided Hendrix with his rhythmical axis. And Zep had their own power house drummer.

Curiously The Who and Zep failed to get a replacement drummer that could really replace the 'originals' simply because they were irreplaceable.

And for all of them, they were great DISPITE their drug taking, NOT because of it. Too many people buy into that old cliché.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Raelthomas's Avatar
Raelthomas Raelthomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 119
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Do you mind if I ask roughly what age you guys are? I'm guessing that Keith was before your time. I have a little theory that younger people are less tolerant of imprecision than oldies (I'm, um, > 50).
You are quite correct, I'm only 25. I do appreciate plenty of music before my time, The Who included but perhaps you have some point. Though, I think I was handed down some of my anti sloppy and/or "too busy" inclinations from my dad, who's also a drummer.
__________________
Pearl Masterworks Custom 4-ply Maple
Tama Starclassic Performer Birch
Sabian, Meinl, Paiste
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 PM
MisterZero's Avatar
MisterZero MisterZero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 310
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Do you mind if I ask roughly what age you guys are? I'm guessing that Keith was before your time. I have a little theory that younger people are less tolerant of imprecision than oldies (I'm, um, > 50).
I'm 46. Keith Moon was a bit before me, but not much. I grew up thinking he was good. It wasn't really until my mid 30s, when I began playing Who cover tunes, when I realized how bad he seemed. I would listen to the drums of certain songs and think, "wow that was terrible". Then, I tried to find good, solid pieces of work from him, any live videos, recordings, and I came up empty. In fact, does anyone here have an impressive solo,or live song where Moon shines? I have scoured Youtube for ANYTHING by Keith Moon that would impress me. Nothing. Go ahead and try it, you'll see what I mean. His solos are as good as any 4th year student drummer can do. There's just nothing there....Just my 2 cents, I could always be wrong.
__________________
Gretsch Maple Renown, Cherry Burst
Sabian AA
Vic Firth 7A
Gibraltar
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero View Post
I'm 46. Keith Moon was a bit before me, but not much. I grew up thinking he was good. It wasn't really until my mid 30s, when I began playing Who cover tunes, when I realized how bad he seemed. I would listen to the drums of certain songs and think, "wow that was terrible". Then, I tried to find good, solid pieces of work from him, any live videos, recordings, and I came up empty. In fact, does anyone here have an impressive solo,or live song where Moon shines? I have scoured Youtube for ANYTHING by Keith Moon that would impress me. Nothing. Go ahead and try it, you'll see what I mean. His solos are as good as any 4th year student drummer can do. There's just nothing there....Just my 2 cents, I could always be wrong.
the whole Live at Leeds album is amazing

and this footage right here .... footage that the Stones would not release because the Who absolutely blew them out of the water in it..... and Keith was a major reason why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1LI3fO_TU

Keith was not a drummer

Keith was an absolute raw genius and a complete force of nature

if you are looking for a technician you need to look elsewhere ..... thats not what Moonie was

Moonie was a time bomb of spontaneous expression

he was the audible Pollock painting

he was musical fury incarnate

he was a mad scientist timpanist in a rock band

he was the only "drummer" that could make the Who....the Who!

he was a self destructive walking tornado

never ever to be duplicated
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 AM
Velocette Velocette is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero View Post
I'm 46. Keith Moon was a bit before me, but not much. I grew up thinking he was good. It wasn't really until my mid 30s, when I began playing Who cover tunes, when I realized how bad he seemed. I would listen to the drums of certain songs and think, "wow that was terrible". Then, I tried to find good, solid pieces of work from him, any live videos, recordings, and I came up empty. In fact, does anyone here have an impressive solo,or live song where Moon shines? I have scoured Youtube for ANYTHING by Keith Moon that would impress me. Nothing. Go ahead and try it, you'll see what I mean. His solos are as good as any 4th year student drummer can do. There's just nothing there....Just my 2 cents, I could always be wrong.
Are there any Youtubes vids of your Who cover band? . . . . . . . .so that we might be able to see your interpretation of Moonies drum parts? . . .

Did you feel that you had improved on the original drum parts? . . .or did you feel that you had failed to capture the spirit of his work?

Reading between the lines, it seems that you got little pleasure from playing in a Who covers band. There is no mention of the fun, or the buzz, that one would have thought you might have experienced from performing such exuberant numbers.

How did you feel after the gig, did you feel energised, did you feel that you'd nailed it?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,749
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Thanks Rael and Zero - same conclusion, different path. I can see how having a drummer dad would influence your take on things. Zero, I've covered I Can't Explain and I loved Moonie's drum part both to listen to and to approximate.
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,840
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Moon died before I knew who he was.

But he is the reason I wanted to spend my life as a drummer.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 PM
MisterZero's Avatar
MisterZero MisterZero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 310
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocette View Post
Are there any Youtubes vids of your Who cover band? . . . . . . . .so that we might be able to see your interpretation of Moonies drum parts? . . .

Did you feel that you had improved on the original drum parts? . . .or did you feel that you had failed to capture the spirit of his work?

Reading between the lines, it seems that you got little pleasure from playing in a Who covers band. There is no mention of the fun, or the buzz, that one would have thought you might have experienced from performing such exuberant numbers.

How did you feel after the gig, did you feel energised, did you feel that you'd nailed it?
No, this was way before Youtube. I did feel as though I improved on a few things. i do have some recordings somewhere, i'll try and find them. and, also, it's nopt so much that moon was bad, but he was just average, at best. So, even if I could post me playing Who tunes, and you guys might say " well Keith Moon is better than this guy", you'd be right. But comparing Keith Moon to me? Supposedly on eof the top drummers of all time vs. some guy who gets 50.00 for bar gigs :) And that's my primary problem with Moon. If the World saw him as pretty good, I wouldn't even argue. But this whole " he's a top 5 all time drummer" business, I just don't see that.....
__________________
Gretsch Maple Renown, Cherry Burst
Sabian AA
Vic Firth 7A
Gibraltar
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:24 PM
MisterZero's Avatar
MisterZero MisterZero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 310
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Thanks Rael and Zero - same conclusion, different path. I can see how having a drummer dad would influence your take on things. Zero, I've covered I Can't Explain and I loved Moonie's drum part both to listen to and to approximate.
Hey anon, I was just thinking that after i posted. I DO like " I can't Explain" drum parts a lot. and I enjoy playing Who tunes.
__________________
Gretsch Maple Renown, Cherry Burst
Sabian AA
Vic Firth 7A
Gibraltar
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 PM
MisterZero's Avatar
MisterZero MisterZero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 310
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
the whole Live at Leeds album is amazing

and this footage right here .... footage that the Stones would not release because the Who absolutely blew them out of the water in it..... and Keith was a major reason why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1LI3fO_TU

Keith was not a drummer

Keith was an absolute raw genius and a complete force of nature

if you are looking for a technician you need to look elsewhere ..... thats not what Moonie was

Moonie was a time bomb of spontaneous expression

he was the audible Pollock painting

he was musical fury incarnate

he was a mad scientist timpanist in a rock band

he was the only "drummer" that could make the Who....the Who!

he was a self destructive walking tornado

never ever to be duplicated
that was an awesome vid!!! I really love the Who, and that was great.
__________________
Gretsch Maple Renown, Cherry Burst
Sabian AA
Vic Firth 7A
Gibraltar
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,749
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero View Post
Hey anon, I was just thinking that after i posted. I DO like " I can't Explain" drum parts a lot. and I enjoy playing Who tunes.
It's a good one, for sure. Have jammed on I Can See for Miles, which is also more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. Also would like to have a go at Won't Get Fooled Again, Love Reign O'er Me, all of Tommy etc etc etc ......... :)
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Pachikara-Tharakan's Avatar
Pachikara-Tharakan Pachikara-Tharakan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Germany
Posts: 479
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Keith Moon showed the world there are no set rules or techniques , i think keith Moon fans have no walls around them or no restrictions and such...even tho i am not even close to calling myself a 'drummer', If i ever have the ability to produce any music in future, i would look for a Keith moon type drummer, who never follows any rules, who never had any formal lessons, who doesnt even read musical notes.....i bet the music would STAND OUT believe it or not...there will be a few fans...the music will not be mainstream for sure.....I think that is what is lacking in rock music since Keith Moons death......everyone follows rules! and its is boring if we dont break it at least here and there......

rant over!

Merry Xmas friends..
__________________
trying Moonie's approach.. in vain
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-24-2013, 06:32 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,654
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
the whole Live at Leeds album is amazing

and this footage right here .... footage that the Stones would not release because the Who absolutely blew them out of the water in it..... and Keith was a major reason why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1LI3fO_TU

Keith was not a drummer

Keith was an absolute raw genius and a complete force of nature

if you are looking for a technician you need to look elsewhere ..... thats not what Moonie was

Moonie was a time bomb of spontaneous expression

he was the audible Pollock painting

he was musical fury incarnate

he was a mad scientist timpanist in a rock band

he was the only "drummer" that could make the Who....the Who!

he was a self destructive walking tornado

never ever to be duplicated
+100000.Moonie was a force of nature,and he paid the ultimate price because of it.

Because of their unique rhythm section,The Who were a mini orchestra,that sounded larger than just 4 instruments.

I agree that "Live at Leeds" is just a powerhouse of a rock album,and no one else could have powered that band like Moonie......no one.Talk about a live song that shines......how about a whole album.How about the fact,that he rarely played any song the same,twice in a row,and made up his drum parts as he went along.

Lots of "drummers" don't have that ability,and actually have to write things out.I don't think Moonie ever did,nor do I think he could even read music.He was totally spontaineous and explosive.

Most of us,use/ read books,watch DVD's ,youtube,participate on drum forum's ,and pick each others brains and above all practice. Moonie didn't do ANY of those things.

He just sat down,and was the jet engine,that powered one of the greatest rock bands in history.Some are offended that he didn't practice.Well neither did Buddy Rich,and just maybe....neither of them needed to.Both were lightning in a bottle.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 12-25-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Pachikara-Tharakan's Avatar
Pachikara-Tharakan Pachikara-Tharakan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Germany
Posts: 479
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/tablature/drums-az.html

drum tabs of Keith Moon!

i dont see any point in 'learning" the drums tabs of moonie. Even Moonie doesnt even know how he played.

I think that how it should be ..in my book.
__________________
trying Moonie's approach.. in vain
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Pachikara-Tharakan's Avatar
Pachikara-Tharakan Pachikara-Tharakan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Germany
Posts: 479
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
+100000.Moonie was a force of nature,and he paid the ultimate price because of it.

Because of their unique rhythm section,The Who were a mini orchestra,that sounded larger than just 4 instruments.

I agree that "Live at Leeds" is just a powerhouse of a rock album,and no one else could have powered that band like Moonie......no one.Talk about a live song that shines......how about a whole album.How about the fact,that he rarely played any song the same,twice in a row,and made up his drum parts as he went along.

Lots of "drummers" don't have that ability,and actually have to write things out.I don't think Moonie ever did,nor do I think he could even read music.He was totally spontaineous and explosive.

Most of use read books,watch DVD's ,youtube,participate on drum forum's ,and pick each others brains and above all practice. Moonie didn't do ANY of those things.

He just sat down,and was the jet engine,that powered one of the greatest rock bands in history.Some are offended that he didn't practice.Well neither did Buddy Rich,and just maybe....neither of them needed to.Both were lightning in a bottle.

Steve B
my thoughts exactly... ..Neil Peart is one the best in the world but he lacks the ability to play differently when he plays live........ without preparing the drum tabs...I think this has a lot to do with the accompanying guitar and Bass and the vocals....who are more supportive for Moonie than for a normal regular time keeper drummer who plays by the rules.
__________________
trying Moonie's approach.. in vain
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:08 AM
drumming sort of person drumming sort of person is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Newport Beach, California
Posts: 747
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Have jammed on I Can See for Miles, which is also more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.
Now that is a drum performance that broke all the rules. Classic.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:13 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,749
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
+100000.
Hmm, looks like a bit of vote stacking here, young Steve :)

Moonie was lucky to have the talent to play so freely without so much graft. How much fun would that be? What do you do for a living? I jam along with my friends' songs.

But, as you say, he was unlucky in that that same quality at times left him without self control which ultimately lead to his death.
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-25-2013, 05:58 AM
drumming sort of person drumming sort of person is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Newport Beach, California
Posts: 747
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

http://drumset.premier-percussion.co...opic-announced
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Jimmy900 Jimmy900 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

To be honest with you, while I think Neil Peart is technically awesome and shows great endurance with time signatures etc etc etc. I find his drumming mechanical, boring and obvious. I saw him doing a drum solo where he had a spinning kit with some trigger drums and every lick he played sounded like every other drum solo I ever heard. To me (and this is just my personal opinion) his concentration on getting each time signature exactly right deviates from the creative process of his drumming. I'm no expert, it's just my opinion on listening to music over the years and I know that R&B rock isn't for some people and others are into metal licks more - I liked Black Sabbath when they were really bluesy in their earlier years.

Keith Moon on the other hand was a very melodic drummer who was reacting not just with the beat, but was reacting to every riff, note, guitar solo and bass solo, hammerons etc etc etc that the Pete Townsend and John Entwhistle was doing where he did a constant solo with each song. Keith Moon actually said, that although he could play paradiddles, he never used them in the songs because there wasn't any call for it. He also said that he hated doing solos because there was no music in the background and that in every song he played with the who he did a solo (yes his goldfish drum solo was terrible, but that was the reason for it, he creates drum licks out of reacting to music).

From looking at some of his drum licks it's a combination of herta roles that he liked doing, some ratamcue's as well (even if he recognized it in a different way), snare triplets going onto some toms and swing playing with syncopated beats on the bass, and it sounds unpredictable, never playing the same lick EXACTLY when repeating the song and making the drums sound very exciting because you couldn't predict the drums in the song exactly. I think the songs "Who Are You" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" are the songs from the who are the songs where Keith has mostly concentrated on getting the beats exactly the same when playing them again.

Last edited by Jimmy900; 12-25-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Jimmy900 Jimmy900 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero View Post
I'm 46. Keith Moon was a bit before me, but not much. I grew up thinking he was good. It wasn't really until my mid 30s, when I began playing Who cover tunes, when I realized how bad he seemed. I would listen to the drums of certain songs and think, "wow that was terrible". Then, I tried to find good, solid pieces of work from him, any live videos, recordings, and I came up empty. In fact, does anyone here have an impressive solo,or live song where Moon shines? I have scoured Youtube for ANYTHING by Keith Moon that would impress me. Nothing. Go ahead and try it, you'll see what I mean. His solos are as good as any 4th year student drummer can do. There's just nothing there....Just my 2 cents, I could always be wrong.
What, there are tons of great Keith Moon stuff on You tube etc. It clearly isn't in your taste (hence thinking he was terrible) listen to this, he replicated the vast majority of this song (with the odd drum lick sounding a bit different when the guitar goes on one). The song Bargain is notorious for one of Keith Moon's best and most consistent drum sound. A lot of skill went into the drumming here and out of reach of a 4th grade drummer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzeq-tEmQmQ He's using the drums as a lead instrument (as if it is lead guitar playing) and not just providing the beat. Also get the "The Who At The Isle Of White". That's a fantastic concert.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:27 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

every one of you watch this .... especially the part where Roger breaks down how Keith played to the vocal


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLMc6J9h3mU
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,268
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
every one of you watch this .... especially the part where Roger breaks down how Keith played to the vocal


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLMc6J9h3mU

Wow, that was way cool. As crazy as it may sound, that reminded me of Elvin for some reason. There is a similarity in approach that evokes the same raw feelings in me.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-25-2013, 06:29 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Wow, that was way cool. As crazy as it may sound, that reminded me of Elvin for some reason. There is a similarity in approach that evokes the same raw feelings in me.

Keith has admitted to learning things from listening to Elvin
and Elvin had expressed his appreciation for Keiths playing as well

"The man is a drummer. Everything he plays, he contains it." —Elvin Jones on Keith Moon
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/arti...3#.UrsyBBzqEU9

"I've picked up bits of Elvin Jones, Krupa, Philly Joe Jones - they were the sort of people I listened to for drumming."
- Keith Moon
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&client=safari

i've spoken personally to Elvin about Keith because when I was studying with him I was in one of my Moonie obsession phases.....he had nothing but wonderful things to say about Keith and his playing.
Elvin absolutely loved Keiths creativity and expression
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 874
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkerz View Post
See, I just don't really get it with The Who... Like I said, they weren't part of my generation (pardon the pun).

I can see why they were popular, and yeah, Moon was a beast behind the drums, not saying that, but if anyone did that these days, they'd probably get slated for their playing by everyone on this forum.

Give anyone a bag full of Es and put them behind a drum kit and i'm sure Good ol' Moonie will reappear ;-)
Yes Moon was a one off. You could argue he was the "Ultimate" Rock and Roll drummer. Never frightened to try something new. He was slated by someone on another site for never playing the same thing twice???

I would say it is much more artistic, and difficult, to play what jumps into your head at that precise moment in time, and risk something new, than simply play what you have practiced 1000 times before, and will play exactly the same the following night. I know I don't have the nerve to do it. Rock is supposed to be about excitement.

You could say, in that respect, that he was an artist, and the other drummers were simply painting by numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-25-2013, 08:23 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Yes Moon was a one off. You could argue he was the "Ultimate" Rock and Roll drummer. Never frightened to try something new. He was slated by someone on another site for never playing the same thing twice???

I would say it is much more artistic, and difficult, to play what jumps into your head at that precise moment in time, and risk something new, than simply play what you have practiced 1000 times before, and will play exactly the same the following night. I know I don't have the nerve to do it. Rock is supposed to be about excitement.

You could say, in that respect, that he was an artist, and the other drummers were simply painting by numbers.
I love that you and I agree on something .

It's a Christmas miracle :)

Be well my friend
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-25-2013, 09:11 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,840
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

I always find it amusing people gravitate toward comparing Keith Moon to Neil Peart as point of contrast and difference.

Neil is a HUGE fan of the Who, and Keith is one of Neil's primary influences.
Many of Neil's big roundhouse licks are adapted from things Moon played.
Neil took what Moon did and applied structure to it.

So while the end results their two playing styles seem miles apart, they have a common ground.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,749
Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Funny thing is, Pete Townshend was critical of Keith's playing, basically saying that Moonie took all the good parts leaving Pete to do the basic timekeeping work, saying "somebody had to" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09rKeViMY3Y

Keith gets the blame because he's flamboyant, but it wasn't as though John Entwhistle was staying at home like Noel Redding to give the guitarist some. Fair enough - they got the fun, Pete got the writing credits :)

Love this one for rhythm section thrills and spills http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pohhMx9EdNc
__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com