DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Default Daily Drumset Workout by Claus Hessler

Hi all,

I wanted to give a plug for a really cool drum book by Claus Hessler that just was released in an English edition: Daily Drumset Workout. This is a really comprehensive drumset technique book, covering all sorts of independence and coordination. To me, it pulls together a lot of the concepts that one can find in Stick Control and Syncopation, and applies them in a very methodical and practical manner. And as wonderful as the technical material is thatís presented, I find the book even more valuable because 1) itís clear how the exercises can be expanded upon to fit various musical needs, and 2) Hessler gives very clear instructions on how to practice the material to achieve maximum benefit, which frankly is advice that can be applied to any drum material. Basically, he strongly advises that you practice a given set of material for 30 minutes per day (no more nor less), every day, with no deviation, for at least a week at a time. After a week is up, you reassess your command of the material, and if you donít feel like youíve mastered it sufficiently, you go for another week.

Another thing I like about the presentation is how concise it is. Almost every section of practice material is boiled down to one or two pages, so itís easier to focus on mastering it. For example, in the initial pages on independence, Claus gives a few ostinatos coupled with just a few lines of reading material (a la New Breed or Syncopationótwo to three limbs play the ostinato, and the other limb plays the reading material). But unlike New Breed, instead of having many pages of reading material, initially youíre just focused on mastering a few lines against the ostinatos (and these few lines have sufficient rhythm variation to cover a lot of independence challenges). Claus suggests that you can substitute other reading material to make it more challenging, or you can practice improvising with the ďreadingĒ limb, but itís nice to have just the few lines of material so as not to be overwhelmed with too much.

The book also comes with ďjam trackĒ play-alongs, but I havenít used these yet.

Anyhow, I wanted to spread the word about this, because I think itís one of the best drum books Iíve seen in a while, and I think a bunch of folks here would find it valuable. Unfortunately, the amazon link for the book says itís temporarily out of stock, so hopefully thatíll change soon. I ordered my copy through sheetmusicplus.com. Hereís the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Drumset-...4689533&sr=8-1

Ed
Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Daily Drumset Workout by Claus Hessler

Sounds good.

I'll check it out.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Didn't he co-author a book with Claus Macklin on relaxation and reducing tension while playing?

I think it was called "Two Claus For Comfort"

:)

Bermuda
Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Didn't he co-author a book with Claus Macklin on relaxation and reducing tension while playing?

I think it was called "Two Claus For Comfort"

:)

Bermuda
Ba dum Crash.

:-)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Anthony Amodeo

sounds like a fun book

just ordered it

thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypierce View Post
Anyhow, I wanted to spread the word about this, because I think itís one of the best drum books Iíve seen in a while, and I think a bunch of folks here would find it valuable. Unfortunately, the amazon link for the book says itís temporarily out of stock, so hopefully thatíll change soon. I ordered my copy through sheetmusicplus.com. Hereís the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Drumset-...4689533&sr=8-1

Ed
Totally agree: a VERY good book.

Well thought-out, well presented, and very clear instructions.

Patrice. (One of Claus's happy students. :-))
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Sounds good, think I'll pick this one up too
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Open Handed Playing Vol. 1 is one of my favorite books. I am excited to heart this has been released in English.

Fair warning, though - Claus's playing is extremely technical, and his approach to coordination is quite challenging.

-sheldon
Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreg View Post
Open Handed Playing Vol. 1 is one of my favorite books. I am excited to heart this has been released in English.

Fair warning, though - Claus's playing is extremely technical, and his approach to coordination is quite challenging.

-sheldon
Yes, I probably should have clarified that this book is not really for beginners, but more for the intermediate to advanced drummer who is serious about honing his or her technique. That being said, many of the exercises are simple enough that a beginner could gain a lot of benefit from them if they are practiced slowly and diligently (perhaps with the aid of a teacher). But even though the material is challenging, I find that it is very practical and applicable to everyday playing situations. A lot of the exercises involve basic rudimental variations playing against common foot ostinatos (such as the samba or baion foot patterns). And in addition to all this, I think that the practice philosophy espoused in the book is valuable information in and of itself--you can apply it to any type of drum material (simple or difficult), not just the material in Clausís book.

Ed
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Is it just me, or did this book just go up in price on Amazon over the course of this thread?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parcher View Post
Is it just me, or did this book just go up in price on Amazon over the course of this thread?
... and back down it goes, that was weird. (it was briefly $18.99)

In other news, I ordered this book from B+N for a little less $ and I'm pretty psyched about it, seems like exactly what I need.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parcher View Post
... and back down it goes, that was weird. (it was briefly $18.99)

In other news, I ordered this book from B+N for a little less $ and I'm pretty psyched about it, seems like exactly what I need.
Amazon has an automated system in place that keeps adapting prices of items.

If you keep stuff in the shopping cart, but don't make the purchase immediately, oftentimes when you go to the shopping cart page in a day or two, there'll be notifications re items having changed price. I remember one of the Chaffee books alternating between $ 16.xx and $ 25.xx.

BTW: Modern Drummer just published a review of one of Claus (with Dom Famularo)'s other books, "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 2, A Step Beyond"; sounds interesting.

Patrice
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM

For me, there are three things which make Claus's approach unique:
  • Everything is ostinato based.
  • Everything is executed using Moeller motions with the goal of extreme dynamic control.
  • The left foot IS NOT used for keeping time (such as up beats or down beats).

Looking at any of his video footage, this is extremely clear. His books certainly reflect that.

Comparing to the other book I've spent serious time with, The New Breed, the coordination problems are MUCH more challenging due to the use of accent patterns. But, the level of dynamic control is definitely worth the extra effort.

Do the new books follow this trend?

-sheldon
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
For me, there are three things which make Claus's approach unique:
  • Everything is ostinato based.
  • Everything is executed using Moeller motions with the goal of extreme dynamic control.
  • The left foot IS NOT used for keeping time (such as up beats or down beats).

Looking at any of his video footage, this is extremely clear. His books certainly reflect that.

Comparing to the other book I've spent serious time with, The New Breed, the coordination problems are MUCH more challenging due to the use of accent patterns. But, the level of dynamic control is definitely worth the extra effort.

Do the new books follow this trend?

-sheldon
I cant wait to get this book in the mail

everything I have read about it says his approach to the left foots responsibilities is similar to mine

in between using my left foot for time I will also use it as almost a second snare drum closing it to replace ghost notes, or replace a kick, or even as a splash

the hi hat itself has so many voices and to use it strictly as a time keeper is to seriously stifle its capability
Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I cant wait to get this book in the mail

everything I have read about it says his approach to the left foots responsibilities is similar to mine

in between using my left foot for time I will also use it as almost a second snare drum closing it to replace ghost notes, or replace a kick, or even as a splash

the hi hat itself has so many voices and to use it strictly as a time keeper is to seriously stifle its capability
You're in for a treat, but you have a lot of work ahead of you, too. Claus isn't playing games, the guy is an elite level drummer! One of the most technically skilled musicians to ever live, IMO. Can't get enough of it!

-sheldon
Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 AM

+1 on this book. Great value for sure.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Anthony Amodeo

came in the mail today

cant wait to crack it soon
Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Gvdadrummasum, keep us updated. I'm really curious to see what you think of the material. For now, I'm going to stick with the New Breed for a few more months. Then I'm going to evaluate where I am, but I will say that Hessler's stuff is on the top of the list.

-sheldon
Old 05-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Gvdadrummasum, keep us updated. I'm really curious to see what you think of the material. For now, I'm going to stick with the New Breed for a few more months. Then I'm going to evaluate where I am, but I will say that Hessler's stuff is on the top of the list.

-sheldon
just started it yesterday

Im really trying to stick to the system he recommends ....but doing only 3 patterns, ten minutes each for a week is going to be difficult for me .... especially the very simple beginning of the book...I get impatient some times

but he is very adamant about sticking to the system so I will

I think its really cool to have your practice routine (or at least the first half hour) planned out for you ...its very new to me and I kinda like it

there is no way I can stop after a half hour though so I just move on the other things Im working on.... :)

I feel that some of the descriptions are very vague ....like the very first exercise A through D use the kick pattern below.....then the rest use that same pattern on hi hat?
I think that is what he is suggesting but its not very clear

thats what I have been doing anyway....so I hope thats what he means

I can see that this book is going to be beneficial

even the extremely easy stuff in the beginning is making me notice the tiniest little inflections

so Im on the first week ...Ill keep you posted
Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
just started it yesterday

Im really trying to stick to the system he recommends ....but doing only 3 patterns, ten minutes each for a week is going to be difficult for me .... especially the very simple beginning of the book...I get impatient some times

but he is very adamant about sticking to the system so I will

I think its really cool to have your practice routine (or at least the first half hour) planned out for you ...its very new to me and I kinda like it

there is no way I can stop after a half hour though so I just move on the other things Im working on.... :)

I feel that some of the descriptions are very vague ....like the very first exercise A through D use the kick pattern below.....then the rest use that same pattern on hi hat?
I think that is what he is suggesting but its not very clear

thats what I have been doing anyway....so I hope thats what he means

I can see that this book is going to be beneficial

even the extremely easy stuff in the beginning is making me notice the tiniest little inflections

so Im on the first week ...Ill keep you posted
Hi Gvda,

I've been working on the same material for the last 3-4 weeks (ever since I got the book). I've been doing three ostinatos for ten minutes each, and then I've been doing some other pages for 30 minutes also each day. It's a bit hard to stick with the exact same thing for at least a week, but I think that's the point--that's what it takes to really get this stuff down.

I've been mostly practicing it slowly, and during the course of each ten minutes I've been spending some time playing it very soft, very loud, and in between. After three weeks, I can really notice some increased solidity in my playing (and what's more encouraging, I think some of my fellow musicians are noticing it as well on the gigs I've been doing).

I had a few questions on some of the exercises in the book, and I e-mailed Claus through his web site(claushessler.com) about them, and he responded right away, so you might want to try that if you're confused about anything.

Ed
Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Hi Gvda,

I've been working on the same material for the last 3-4 weeks (ever since I got the book). I've been doing three ostinatos for ten minutes each, and then I've been doing some other pages for 30 minutes also each day. It's a bit hard to stick with the exact same thing for at least a week, but I think that's the point--that's what it takes to really get this stuff down.

I've been mostly practicing it slowly, and during the course of each ten minutes I've been spending some time playing it very soft, very loud, and in between. After three weeks, I can really notice some increased solidity in my playing (and what's more encouraging, I think some of my fellow musicians are noticing it as well on the gigs I've been doing).

I had a few questions on some of the exercises in the book, and I e-mailed Claus through his web site(claushessler.com) about them, and he responded right away, so you might want to try that if you're confused about anything.

Ed
thanks brother

Im glad to hear your are seeing results
Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 PM

Hi all....ive started on this book last week,i feel this is gona be a real challenge but one which will bring rewards.
I am so guilty of buying drum books and never finishing them,i beleive this concept will keep me focused and aware of my progress.
Looking briefly over the book,there is alot of material in there and once completed my drumming will have improved ten fold!!!

rik
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Yes, I've also emailed Claus in the past, he is very helpful. I also took a Skype lesson with him once. That was very, very cool. I will definitely be getting more help from him once my income goes up!

So, my understanding is that I can work this into the beginning of my practice sessions? Then, I can keep working on whatever else I want? If that's the case, then I will order a copy and get started.

-sheldon
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 PM

Hi....working away at this book,almost completed week 3.doing half an hour everyday and so far sticking to it!It will take me a while to get through this book but i'm confident it will really sharpen my skills as a player.
Anyone else here on the same journey?

rik.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Hey Rik!

How's it going with the "Daily Drumset Workout"? Still working on it?

Been doing/perfecting a few of the exercises for a while now, guided by Mr. Hessler himself. He's a fantastic teacher, me thinks.

Also very much digging his (and Dom Famularo's) "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1". Even if one does not play open-handed, there's tons of great stuff in there.

Patrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Hi....working away at this book,almost completed week 3.doing half an hour everyday and so far sticking to it!It will take me a while to get through this book but i'm confident it will really sharpen my skills as a player.
Anyone else here on the same journey?

rik.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
sounds like a fun book

just ordered it

thanks
Ditto- ordered the New Breed book too. been meaning to for a long time. Thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Ditto- ordered the New Breed book too. been meaning to for a long time. Thanks
If you like "Daily Drumset Workout", make sure you also check out "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1". So much great stuff in there!

Claus Hessler's DVD "Drumming Kairos" is also coming out any day now... Will let you guys/gals know whether it's worth your hard-earned cash.

Patrice
Old 07-11-2013, 02:26 PM

Finally got my copy of Claus Hessler's new DVD "Drumming Kairos".

Haven't had a chance yet to watch the DVD, but did print out and look through the accompanying PDF booklet. At ca. 112 pages: not too shabby!

Can't figure out whether I'm biased or not, since I've been studying with Claus for a couple of years, but IMHO the PDF booklet alone is worth the price. So much cool - and useful, of course - stuff in there.

The exercises focus very much on the Moeller Technique (yeah, i know ;-) ) & how to apply it in your daily playing.

The booklet includes a few pages taken from Hessler's "Daily Drumset Workout", as well as his - and Dom Famularo's - "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1" & "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 2". If I didn't have those yet, I'm sure the excerpts would have convinced me to order them... ;-)

Off now to work on some of the "Freak Moeller" exercises...

Patrice
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
Finally got my copy of Claus Hessler's new DVD "Drumming Kairos".

Haven't had a chance yet to watch the DVD, but did print out and look through the accompanying PDF booklet. At ca. 112 pages: not too shabby!

Can't figure out whether I'm biased or not, since I've been studying with Claus for a couple of years, but IMHO the PDF booklet alone is worth the price. So much cool - and useful, of course - stuff in there.

The exercises focus very much on the Moeller Technique (yeah, i know ;-) ) & how to apply it in your daily playing.

The booklet includes a few pages taken from Hessler's "Daily Drumset Workout", as well as his - and Dom Famularo's - "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1" & "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 2". If I didn't have those yet, I'm sure the excerpts would have convinced me to order them... ;-)

Off now to work on some of the "Freak Moeller" exercises...

Patrice
Do you know if it's available in the U.S. yet? I'd like to pick it up, but I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Ed
Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm also very excited about the DVD. I spent about a year working with Open Handed Vol1 daily. Again, his approach is oriented around technical development and the Moeller technique is the cornerstone of all of it.

I was able to refer to the Jojo Mayer DVD for help with Moeller (and private lessons) but I'm very excited to see how he teaches it.

QUICK QUESTION

Is Daily Drumset Workout only a 30 minute per day commitment? I could probably do that.

ALSO

New footage from Mr. Hessler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrOpzQfkS0M

!!!!!!!!!!!

-sheldon
Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

skreg,
that's a stunning video! Outstanding musicianship.
I was shocked when I realized that I had e-mail contact with the both of those musos - coincidence though...
(The bassist was the highest bidder on some thingy that I once sold off ebay a few years ago. Small world, haha.)

I got Claus' new DVD today (ordered it yesterday - now that is fast!!), have checked out half of it so far. It's fantastic! Much work ahead, it's stuffed with great but often times challenging exercises (well that's the point of it). I also invited him to join Drummerworld so we might see him drop in from time to time (and/or participate in the Drummers section once there is a thread on him) and probably also give some info/statements on his DVD himself.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Do you know if it's available in the U.S. yet? I'd like to pick it up, but I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Ed
@ Ed... I asked Claus Hessler, and he said it should also be available in the US any day now.

After having studied the PDF more in-depth and having watched bits and pieces of the DVD, I must admit I really dig the whole package.

As it says on the cover: "Moeller Technique through the Chapin Glasses." None other than Jim Chapin himself said years ago that Hessler really knows his Moeller.

There are lots of great exercises to develop your Moeller, and to then take it further.

One of the things I personally find extremely important: Hessler doesn't just go into all the aspects of Moeller, the whip, etc., and presents it as a technique workout, but shows how one can apply it in one's daily playing, whether it's Jazz, Pop, Rock, Latin, whatever.

The one thing Hessler really opened my eyes to (since I started studying with him) is how Moeller can also be used as a pretty tough and mind-bending independence/interdependence workout. The "Freak Moeller" exercises (as he calls them) included in the PDF look easy, but are fairly demanding (when you first start working on them).

Another section I love are the so-called "Moeller Triplet Circles", which show the connection between Moeller Triplet Single Strokes, and various rudiments. (Circle 4, e.g.: Triplet Single Strokes -> 5-Stroke Roll -> Slurred 5-Stroke Roll, Collapsed 5-Stroke Roll Single Flammed Mill Variation -> Collapsed 5-Stroke Roll Single Flammed Mill Variation 2 -> Collapsed 5-Stroke Roll Pa-Fla-Fla.) Very clever, me thinks. And very useful! (He also talks about "Collapsed Rudiments", a concept developed by Chapin. You can find a relevant clip from a couple of years ago on Hessler's YouTube Channel.)

The final chapter "Reverse Syncopation" will also take a bit of practice...

Quote:

QUICK QUESTION

Is Daily Drumset Workout only a 30 minute per day commitment? I could probably do that.

-sheldon
You can use it that way, yes.

Hessler stresses the importance of working on the same exercises daily (for a while), so you really get to delve into them, and make progress; instead of changing exercises every day or two.

BTW: Great stuff in the "Daily Drumset Workout". It's 200+ pages!!! It might very well keep you busy for a while! ;-)

Patrice

Last edited by patrice; 07-14-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts; Edited by Patrice - wanted to add some thoughts
Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
@ Ed... I asked Claus Hessler, and he said it should also be available in the US any day now.
Thanks for the info, Patrice. I'll look for it!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 PM

I also contacted Claus Hessler, because I'm doing an article on the new DVD on my website www.prodrumblog.com

He told me that he's waiting for details from the publishing company on the US release. I don't expect that to be very much longer.

-sheldon
Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 AM

The "Drumming Kairos" DVD seems to now be available in the US via an Amazon.com affiliated store:

http://www.amazon.com/Claus-Hesslers...=claus+hessler

For whatever reason, it is listed as a "paperback".

Patrice
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
The "Drumming Kairos" DVD seems to now be available in the US via an Amazon.com affiliated store:

http://www.amazon.com/Claus-Hesslers...=claus+hessler

For whatever reason, it is listed as a "paperback".

Patrice
Thanks for the heads up! I should be picking up a copy soon. I looked it up about a week ago and also saw that it's also available from sheetmusicplus.com: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/...ition/19921072
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Finally also available on the Alfred.com website.

http://www.alfred.com/Products/Claus...0-20220US.aspx

Patrice
Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 AM

Thought I would post on this thread before it gets too cold and out of date. I got this book for Christmas and started it today. I hope to be able to get Herr Hessler to answer some questions here on the forum about the book. I am doing this as an extracurricular experience, since I am having my teacher guide me through Open Handed Playing Vol. I. I figure I can handle 30 min a day. I would have to say I am a bit uncertain about the record keeping Claus is asking me to do in the book...
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 PM

Claus hasn't exactly been very active on this board. He's got a good excuse, however: he's been pretty freakin' busy. ;-)

To make it perfectly clear: Claus has *not* asked me to answer in his stead, but I've been studying with him for a couple of years, know a tiny bit about his concept(s), and might possibly be able to help you with any questions that might've come up.

The "record keeping", btw, is something I do religiously. And I track lots more details than Claus suggests in the book. I find that keeping records is extremely helpful to stay focused, and not too long ago I analysed my July 2013 record, to figure out what exactly I'd been doing to make it such a productive and satisfying month.

Patrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethlowden View Post
Thought I would post on this thread before it gets too cold and out of date. I got this book for Christmas and started it today. I hope to be able to get Herr Hessler to answer some questions here on the forum about the book. I am doing this as an extracurricular experience, since I am having my teacher guide me through Open Handed Playing Vol. I. I figure I can handle 30 min a day. I would have to say I am a bit uncertain about the record keeping Claus is asking me to do in the book...
Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it! It will take a while to make it past the first few pages. As written, it looks like you only document/evaluate after completing each two-page module?