DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-05-2013, 02:27 AM

Default New Gigging Set

I picked up my gigging set today. I've mostly just played at home and I just wasn't comfortable bringing my Yamama BCA's out of the house. I decided to go boring, practical, and cheap and go with Stage Customs. It's 10,12,14 (all mounted), 22, and a stock 14" snare. Based on the lugs and mounts, they look to be from the late 90's or so. They need heads and a thorough cleaning, but they should be perfect for the job. Heck, out of the box, the floor tom sounded downright useable. I've mostly alternated between cheap school/church drum sets and my BCA's at home. So, I'm excited to have drums that are nice enough- but not too nice- to gig with.

I'll try to get some pictures as I get them cleaned and set up.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Gigging Set

Personally, your BCA's belong on a gig - not locked up in your house. I believe musical instruments are instruments you play in public, not museum pieces. I think it's great that you have a second kit (everybody should have one) but really, take the BCA's out for a spin once in a while.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

I usually leave the good stuff home too.
I don't blame you.
I just can't bring myself to take the good drums out of my house unless it is a real nice venue and a truly special occasion.
I have even packed up my fav kit a few times only to unpack it and take a lesser kit instead.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Personally, your BCA's belong on a gig - not locked up in your house. I believe musical instruments are instruments you play in public, not museum pieces. I think it's great that you have a second kit (everybody should have one) but really, take the BCA's out for a spin once in a while.
I'm with you here Bo, it's like having a nice suit and then not wearing it incase it gets dirty. Don't see the point personally, although if I was in the position to have a kit set up at home permanetly, that might change things.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 AM

Oh, don't worry. The BCA's will have plenty of fun. I just don't want to wear my suit to mow the lawn. With a steady income, but no wife, mortgage, or kids, I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to treat myself to a nice instrument. The only catch was that generous parents and a clearance price already gave me that instrument. I considered everything from using the BCA's for everything to getting another equally nice kit. Nothing excited me like I wanted.

Then I had an epiphany: Why not get a marimba? The 4.3 padauk marimbas cost about the same as a top-of-the-line drum set. Then I could get some home recording gear, record myself on the marimba, and the accompany myself on the BCA's. I get to work on some ideas that have been brewing for years, my nice drums get put to good use, and with the Stage Customs, I have decent set that I can use anywhere without hesitation.