DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Default Why Would You Want to Feel Low end on Your Butt?

I just need to ask, I have seen these thrones advertised with these electronics built in that produce a shake or rumble to your seat. I have actually never read or heard what the stated purpose of this is. Any one care to comment.
I could imagine if one were to rather like the message qualities that there would be quite a bit of bass drum work (i believe that the frequencies are generated by triggers). I have 0 interest in something like this, except maybe a message device built in to the back rest of throne; now that could be cool provided it was quiet.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Why Would You Want to Feel Low end on Your Butt?

It seems to me that if anything, those devices might give me a false sense of increased volume/power, which in turn would cause me to unintendedly play more softly. But what do I know? I just hit stuff ......
Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 PM

You talking about the Buttkicker sonic shaker? I hear it's supposed to let you feel the bass. I guess it makes everything tighter on stage ( ?). I've never tried one, but I asm curious. there are gigs that I play and sometimes I can't hear my bass drum at all for brief periods. I just have to assume it's making a sound.....anyone here have experience with these things?
Gibraltar
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Lol this thread is right up Watso's alley. Must...not...go there.....

I never tried them so I can't comment. I would think that for a huge stage with bad monitors it couldn't hurt. But I can live without it. I wouldn't want to get used to it for the situations where I couldn't have it. I think Bermuda has made favorable comments about it.

Gomez Addams
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

I think it is marketed as another way to get the sense of time along with your ears and counting.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Senior Consultant

Kenny Aronoff uses one. (And he's a badass ;) )

I've never used one but I've heard only good things about them. It allows for less volume from your monitors.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

The theory is:

If you have a large monitor set up behind you (as one would when playing very large stages) you feel the air of the speakers, and you feel the low end rumble of the sub woofers.

But when eliminating the giant monitors in favor of in-ear monitors, you lose that feel. So, in theory, the butt shaker give that back to you.

But I can't speak from experience.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

I remember playing on a floor kit at a music store with one of those. I thought it was kind of cool if maybe a little gimmicky. Still, I thought it was fun.

I know drummers who mic their bass drums in their practice rooms and run it through the PA so they don't have to work so hard. I can see how it might be useful for getting some of that kick drum feedback without having to add more volume to a small room.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Gavin Harrison uses it too if I recall correctly? And he uses in ear monitors, so I guess you're onto something there, DrumEatDrum.

But I wonder... Doesn't it feel like you're constantly farting?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjogras View Post
Gavin Harrison uses it too if I recall correctly? And he uses in ear monitors, so I guess you're onto something there, DrumEatDrum.

Sold!

Bermuda is an avid user isn't he?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjogras View Post

What do you mean, "feel like"?
:)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
What do you mean, "feel like"?
:)
Ok, let's call it a supplement to the constant farting. :D
Old 05-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Been using a ButtKicker for 10 years, and a custom thumper seat prior to that for about 10 years. The effect is that you become "one" with the kick, considered by most to be the heartbeat of the kit. For most drummers, it's crucial to hear that in the mix, perhaps more than any other drum or instrument on stage. Monitors alone can be very inefficient if you're not hip to how waveforms work. That means, a 15 or 18" speaker seems like a good idea for a kick monitor, except that the waveform doesn't develope for several feet. And that means the bass or guitar player standing 15 feet away will be knocked over, while the drummer hears & feels almost nothing. Some of the best physical monitors I ever had were a pair of 12s, which moved the air perfectly for where I sat, and didn't kill the other guys or interfere with FOH.

Anyway, the abiilty to detect what our drums are doing is crucial to playing them properly, in the same way that a good mix typically determines how well we play.

The ButtKicker - and please do not call it a shaker - is a piston housed in liquid, and operates from 5-200 cycles only. Perfect for feeling, and becoming kick. It's a very intimate sensation, you know excatly what your kick is doing.

Most users of such a device also have some kick in their monitor, just to get a more aural sensation, and not rely completely on the thump itself. The feeling is like the kick is shaking the riser... like it's really loud and punchy... but it's very internalized, just as our 'time' is.

A ButtKicker or thumper device might be overkill and more coordination than is worth it on small gigs. I don't use mine in town, and have never wished I had it on one of those gigs. But in a concert setting, I'd never want to be without it. I even carry a spare.

Bermuda

PS - ever been in an Imax theater? That low end is probably coming from ButtKickers.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Lol this thread is right up Watso's alley. Must...not...go there.....
You know me too well. I'll make a point to be less predictable.

Quote:
I never tried them so I can't comment. I would think that for a huge stage with bad monitors it couldn't hurt. But I can live without it. I wouldn't want to get used to it for the situations where I couldn't have it. I think Bermuda has made favorable comments about it.
Yea, something like this. I've actually been in places where it's really hard to hear specifically your bass drum in the mix or in the "room". It comes across fine to the listeners in the house, it's just that you yourself can't hear it very well; or maybe there's a bass amp behind you drowning out other low frequencies.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The effect is that you become "one" with the kick,
it's very internalized, just as our 'time' is.
Jon sums it up perfectly here. I use this very advanced unit http://www.porteranddavies.co.uk/BC2OverviewPage.html Same one that gavin uses.

Like Jon, I only use it on bigger gigs, but I use it without any audible monitoring. It's a very sensitive device. You don't feel any vibration as such, you "hear" your bass drum. We hear the majority of sounds through our ears, but we also hear with our body, & it's that ability that's tapped into here. The unit runs from the bass drum mic, & it replicates every aspect of dynamics & sustain. This allows you to place the bass drum precisely in context with the rest of your kit, in the same way you can when playing on your own. Even on the loudest stages, it works wonderfully.

Also, as Jon points out, it makes life very easy for the live sound engineer.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Been using a ButtKicker for 10 years, and a custom thumper seat prior to that for about 10 years. The effect is that you become "one" with the kick, considered by most to be the heartbeat of the kit. For most drummers, it's crucial to hear that in the mix, perhaps more than any other drum or instrument on stage. Monitors alone can be very inefficient if you're not hip to how waveforms work. That means, a 15 or 18" speaker seems like a good idea for a kick monitor, except that the waveform doesn't develope for several feet. And that means the bass or guitar player standing 15 feet away will be knocked over, while the drummer hears & feels almost nothing. Some of the best physical monitors I ever had were a pair of 12s, which moved the air perfectly for where I sat, and didn't kill the other guys or interfere with FOH.

Anyway, the abiilty to detect what our drums are doing is crucial to playing them properly, in the same way that a good mix typically determines how well we play.

The ButtKicker - and please do not call it a shaker - is a piston housed in liquid, and operates from 5-200 cycles only. Perfect for feeling, and becoming kick. It's a very intimate sensation, you know excatly what your kick is doing.

Most users of such a device also have some kick in their monitor, just to get a more aural sensation, and not rely completely on the thump itself. The feeling is like the kick is shaking the riser... like it's really loud and punchy... but it's very internalized, just as our 'time' is.

A ButtKicker or thumper device might be overkill and more coordination than is worth it on small gigs. I don't use mine in town, and have never wished I had it on one of those gigs. But in a concert setting, I'd never want to be without it. I even carry a spare.

Bermuda

PS - ever been in an Imax theater? That low end is probably coming from ButtKickers.
Well that explains it; letting you feel what you might not be able to hear. It sounds like it could serve as a practice device as well.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

If I had a girlfriend I would have her sit on the butt kicker while I knock out 300 bpm double bass grooves.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
If I had a girlfriend I would have her sit on the butt kicker while I knock out 300 bpm double bass grooves.
Back in the day when I had the ButtKicker turned way up, the occasional gal on the local crew loved it. :)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
It sounds like it could serve as a practice device as well.
Not sure you'd practice with it, as long as you can hear/feel your kick, you're already good. It's designed for higher volume gigs where monitors are necessary but tend to fall short in the 'punch' department.

Bermuda
Old 05-01-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Jon sums it up perfectly here. I use this very advanced unit http://www.porteranddavies.co.uk/BC2OverviewPage.html Same one that gavin uses.
I was very impressed with the models they showed at the last two NAMM shows, it's the only other 'thumper' that feels like the ButtKicker. I'm aware that they have US distribution now, and if the BKs ever fail, I'd switch.

Bermuda
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 AM
"Uncle Larry"

There have been documented orgasms of female drummers playing speed metal while utilizing the buttkickers.

Sorry the other threads have taken all my filters off.

Gomez Addams
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

WHOA! Easy there, Lar. I leave for a few hours and this place turns into Plato's Retreat.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:31 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Sorry Todd, you right. Filters re engaging. Wait. There's a problem. Interference from planet Saturn. If you play a Saturn kick drum, it will kick your butt so bad you won't need no stinking butt kickers!

Gomez Addams
Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
If you play a Saturn kick drum, it will kick your butt so bad you won't need no stinking butt kickers!
Only if it's on a rock riser & surrounded by it's white siblings + electronic cousins ;)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

I found your filter, Larry. Here:
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
I just need to ask, I have seen these thrones advertised with these electronics built in that produce a shake or rumble to your seat. I have actually never read or heard what the stated purpose of this is. Any one care to comment.
I could imagine if one were to rather like the message qualities that there would be quite a bit of bass drum work (i believe that the frequencies are generated by triggers). I have 0 interest in something like this, except maybe a message device built in to the back rest of throne; now that could be cool provided it was quiet.
Message?

What message? Talking out of your b*tt?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Gold Member

I've tried one with a Roland TD30KV, their flagship model, and it made me smile. As Bermuda said you feel even more part of the kit and your timing improves as a result. I was comparing the TD30KV and the TD30K and so I had to turn it off as it was affecting my judgment. If I owned one it would be on all the time, it really adds to the experience of drumming IMHO.

If you play complex kick beats it really helps live to hear and accurately play the kick.

Davo
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Bermuda,
thanks for the info! That's about what I assumed and hoped. Sounds very promising.
Will put that P&D product on my wishlist.

There's something similar for bass players - the Tec Amp Pleasure Board - serves the same purpose. It's an 80 x 80 cm (31.6 x 31.6'') board fitted with 8 low frequency transducers. That board should be fed with signals that have no frequencies above 100 or so Hz - it's designed to translate the low frequency energy into motion so higher freqs are obsolete. The bassist would feel his playing more and thus, play with more awareness and precision. (You simply enter that board and play standing on it. Or put a seat on it. Or simply sit on it. Should work, too. Whatever is placed on the board will get some shakin'.)

I bought one of these a few years ago but I'm embarrassed to admit I've never used it so far. I will very soon. I just forgot that I have it, plus I didn't have a power amp that could feed this board. I have that stuff now.

Here's some info:
http://tecamp.biz/en/products/specia....html#overview

A prototype version was also advertised for rehabilitation/medical use, to enhance physical perception with some patients.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Why do I feel compelled to mention KIS's "panty-wetting bottom drum?" There's a phrase I'll never forget.

I bet a Buttkicker could work wonders on that front...
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Renegade

Tell you what, if you sit at a kit with a Buttkicker and you don't know it's there (or even what they are) it's a terrifying sensation. Earlier Jon described it as "intimate" - I'd say shockingly so when you don't expect it, but then I never did a lot of horse riding.

It's the kind of sensation you'd have if the stage was made of weak, old wood with loose planks that was bending and buckling with each bass drum note, and on the verge of collapse. They're weird gizmos but obviously useful for some players.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Why do I feel compelled to mention KIS's "panty-wetting bottom drum?" There's a phrase I'll never forget.
I forget the context of that remark, but I bet it was "panty wetting bottom end". Either way, surprisingly, the sensation from the BC2 is as far away from vibration as you can get. There is no movement sensation once your body dials into what's actually going on. At first, it feels a little strange if you're not used to the big bottom end wash from a big touring PA, but you soon get past that & just enjoy a much closer engagement with what the drum is actually delivering.

An earlier poster mentioned triggering. I suppose you could link a trigger via the line input, but their primary source is the bass drum microphone. The throne translates everything that the microphone is "hearing", including sustain. It's a wonderful "in control" feeling to use tactile monitoring.

In all honesty, I use mine maybe 6 times a year. There's one gig that springs to mind were the BC2 is indispensable, & that's the national Harley Davidson rally (we're headlining that again this year). The stage & venue volume is just blistering. So much so, that you couldn't possibly monitor drums audibly without causing huge FOH issues. As an extra bonus, the BC2 did catch some attention from the strippers at sound check/rehearsal ;)
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Ive seen something like that advertised for an electronic kit. Their purpose is to emulate the feel of a 'real' kit and the shake you feel with the bass drum.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I forget the context of that remark, but I bet it was "panty wetting bottom end".
Hahahaaa! I can't believe you don't remember - you were telling us about a rather, um, attractive young lady who came up to you after a show. She didn't know the names of the drums, but she told you she liked the sound of your "panty-wetting bottom drum."

Yeah, it's not relevant to the sound from the driver's seat, but this thread made me think of it.

Now all this talk about driver's seats and vibrations... I need to just have a cup of coffee and look at a different thread now before I get myself in trouble, lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
There's something similar for bass players - the Tec Amp Pleasure Board - serves the same purpose. It's an 80 x 80 cm (31.6 x 31.6'') board fitted with 8 low frequency transducers.
The ButtKicker also mounts to a board for bass players. They can feel their bass, and the kick. The only possible drawback is that they are then forced to stay in one spot if they want to feel the bass & kick., so a wandering bass player might resent the whole process.

Bermuda
Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Hahahaaa! I can't believe you don't remember - you were telling us about a rather, um, attractive young lady who came up to you after a show. She didn't know the names of the drums, but she told you she liked the sound of your "panty-wetting bottom drum."
Ah yes, well triggered :) Sorry, I'm getting old, & feeling especially jaded today :(
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM

I think they're a great idea. I'd love to own one myself, but there are much better things for me to invest in before I worry about one.

I'm sure it's been answered already, but I'm given to understand that you trigger your kick drum, and feel it through your throne. Basically, it lets you know where your kick drum notes are even if you can't hear them. Ideal for playing a muddled up bar where the sound guy doesn't know what he's doing.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Remember "The Feelie's" from Brave New World. How long before those devices are built in to audiences seats. The movie Earthquake had low end frequency pumped in to simulate an earthquake and it worked quite well; I was headed out of the theatre when it hits in the movie.
People so do love bottom end. Thanks for the low down; it is an interesting concept.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Those are the ultimate buttkicker...

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Pioneer Member

I posted here a couple of years ago that I had bought a ButtKicker. I was mocked at first, until Bermuda chimed in. I think that their usefulness is often misunderstood.

After Bermuda described his rig and that he was using two of them mounted to his throne, I ended up buying one more unit. The reason being that they can be switchable in case they shutdown from over heating when they are driven really hard.

The first unit I bought I mounted to my Roc n Soc with the BK bracket. Once again at Bermuda's suggestion, when I got my second unit, I skipped using the mounting bracket and now they are screwed in directly to the bottom of the throne. I can feel it much better.

I am using a Crown XLS1000 and it works well. I don't think I need any more power but I think Bermuda uses a little more powerful amp for his.

One thing that I do that is a little different is that I am not running the kick drum mic back to the unit. I bought a Simmons accessory pack on sale at GC for $200 and it has two pads, two triggers and most importantly an inexpensive e-drum module. I'm triggering the kick and the module sends the signal to the BK. It makes it very simple for me to get good monitoring without fussing with my kick sound.

With all that said, the truth is that I have not had the opportunity to use it in a concert setting. I just don't have those gigs. I bought it mostly because I liked the idea and I had a little money to spend. I leave it set up on my rehearsal kit. I've only taken it out once and it was a total PITA. For me it's a luxury item but it is truly a wonderful way to monitor your bass drum and the tactile monitoring honestly does make you "one" with your bass. I immediately felt that I could be more precise and or "tighter" so to speak than before.

I could absolutely do without it, but I think once you try one or moreso, once you play with one for a little while, you will want one. I was first exposed to this when a friend bought a gaming chair for his video game gear. I'm a 100% positive that if you are in a louder music scenario and you have problems hearing your kick drum that a BK will change your mind forever.

The Porter & Davies set up looks fantastic. So much more portable as a self contained unit with the transducer incorporated into the throne and the power supply and switching all streamlined in a nice little flight case.

GO GET ONE (or two)

Thanks again Bermuda!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah yes, well triggered :) Sorry, I'm getting old, & feeling especially jaded today :(
Sorry, my friend. I understand fully. I end up there myself, too often. Hang in there.

Maybe we just need a swift kick in the butt! (Not with those boots Henri posted, though. Sheesh!)