DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin! Just a quick question about TMWSH. I have been wondering what the time signature is for the middle section of the song. (I've also been wondering why I haven't asked this question yet.) It starts around 1:10 in the video linked below. And if by some chance it happens to be in 4/4 (which I doubt), I tip my hat to you Mr. Harrison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjB0hBoidsQ

Thanks for answering.

Cheers -- Peter
Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 AM

Hey Gavin, I've got a question about the muffling in your bass drum. I know you've said before that its a "very heavy pillow," but I'm just curious if it is still a normal size pillow, or if it is also very large as well. I've seen videos of guitar center sessions where you can see that the pillow is going halfway up your bass drum head. Do you just have it turned so it is "standing up" so to speak leaning against the head? Or is it actually going the length of the drum as well? I'm also curious as to where the mic that is inside your drum is placed too. Is it laying on the shell itself?

I recently saw a video of you at the pasic convention a few years ago talking about why you muffle the drum the way you do, and how much easier it is to get clarity in your feet with such a heavy pillow against the batter head, and I definitely want to experiment with that more. I've been tending to use batter heads with built in muffling and a very small light pillow that would sit at the end of a couch. I'm interested to see if I'll like the feel better with a harder surface to hit.

I also have a funny question for you...I was recently watching the anesthetize blu ray, and there was a shot where the camera is panning around the back of the stage and you see a set list hanging on something. I paused it since I wanted to see how different the order of songs was than what is actually presented in the dvd. So on the list I see...

"Normal
Drown With Me
Stars Die
Cheating the Polygraph
Anesthetize
Scooby Doo With Trombones
Wedding Nails"

Haha so is scooby doo some kind of inside joke nick name for a song or was it some joke among the crew that doesn't even mean anything to you guys? And did you guys really perform stars die? Wish I could have seen that. Thought I'd read somewhere SW talking about how that is one of those songs that logistically you can't really perform live how it was in the studio since the vocals are essentially a whisper.

Thanks as always for the drum talk!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwing_007 View Post

Haha so is scooby doo some kind of inside joke nick name for a song or was it some joke among the crew that doesn't even mean anything to you guys? And did you guys really perform stars die? Wish I could have seen that. Thought I'd read somewhere SW talking about how that is one of those songs that logistically you can't really perform live how it was in the studio since the vocals are essentially a whisper.

Thanks as always for the drum talk!
Not to speak for Gavin of course, but I was at the gig (I was at both gigs). Stars die was indeed played the second night. I was pleasant surprised with it (as I love the song). I was in general very surprised with the second day. My expectation was that it would be just the same set as the day before because of the filming. But the setlist was very different.
The song they played after Anesthetize was Prodigal (which is I believe available on the audio cd's from the deluxe edition).
But i'm curious about the name too…

@Gavin: I noticed you will take the new blue kit on the road. Will you also use the Protean snares on tour?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
Not to speak for Gavin of course, but I was at the gig (I was at both gigs). Stars die was indeed played the second night. I was pleasant surprised with it (as I love the song). I was in general very surprised with the second day. My expectation was that it would be just the same set as the day before because of the filming. But the setlist was very different.
The song they played after Anesthetize was Prodigal (which is I believe available on the audio cd's from the deluxe edition).
But i'm curious about the name too…

@Gavin: I noticed you will take the new blue kit on the road. Will you also use the Protean snares on tour?
Ah that is awesome that you saw Stars Die! I can't complain too much though, I've seen Porcupine Tree several times in the Philadelphia / Atlantic City area and I saw their one off show at Radio City in NYC.

I love when bands surprise you with an old or rarely played song. When they were touring in support of Deadwing they played Burning Sky in philly which was a pleasant surprise. They also did Fadeaway with John Wesley doing lead vocals which was really cool.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Dear Gavin! Congrats on your signature snare drum(s) and thanks for the nice videos!
Hope I'll get the chance to play one sometimes, or even own one :).

Now my question today:
Which exercise or other kind of training/experience do you feel helped you the most
in becoming very accurate in keeping time and being tight?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 AM

Hi, Mr. Harrison. Have been a fan of your talent for many years. Love your arrangements and skill around the drum kit. I have to say though, I am a little disappointed with the pricing of your just released snare drum line, The Protean Series. I was just wondering if you had any input regarding the price point. They look really cool and sound great, and I love the quick change snare idea, but I'm not so sure they are $1000.00 great retail cost for the deluxe package 14" snare. Unfortunately, I think they are now priced out of most everyone's reach except pro, the very rich, and maybe semi pro drummers. Something to think about. Oh well, cheers.
Roc N Soc Lunar Throne
DW 8002B Pedals
Old 03-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Hi Gavin!

Two quick questions!

First, I'm travelling to London next May and I wanted tips on drum shops and general music shops around town. Instruments and/or records, please!

Second, is there any chance you'll have any appearances in London next May? It would be pretty awesome to see a clinic/concert/masterclass of any kind!

Cheers!
Heitor.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Hi Gavin! Do have any experiance in other drumwoods (like: full birch kits, birch/bubingas, full bubingas)? The reason I'm asking is I'm currently I'm playing a 6pc fusion sized Gretsch Ash drum kit, but lately I felt that I'm missing something from the sound. A bit more... tone, warmth, and a fraction bit more sustain. I feel it's a bit dry to me now. It hasn't been an issue 'till lately, but... At Wembley Drum Centre I found a gorgeous birch kit (Tama Limited ed. 6pc Hyperdrive) for a nice price, but I have zero experience with birch. Noone has one in my area (Hungary, Debrecen), and the sales-talk is worthless to me. So I could not decide. Plus I was afraid that the overall tone will be "too bright" because of the shallower toms and the birch material. So my attention turned to the Tama Birch/Bubinga Hyperdrives. I like the idea behind the shallower toms (faster response - something similar to you liking the shallower snares), plus the added bubinga gives them a bit more low end. For some reason a pure maple kit's sound is "uncontrolled" to me. A bit too much "boing". Maybe that can be "cleaned up", make it more focused through tuning, but I'm not sure.

So my question is a bit long: What's your opinion on full birch kits, birch/bubingas, and shallower sized toms? I know I should hear the kits, thats the only way to be sure, but as I said, I've got zero chance to do that. So I ask as many accomplished players as I can, and than I'll do my best to choose well. Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give!

Cheers, and have great fun on the tour!
Matthew
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Souljacker

I heard someone say that the Sonor Prolite kits are the same as SQ2s (parts,drums etc) but the SQ2s are the custom designed versions. Is this true?

Yes they share many of the same top quality parts as the SQ2 range. The SQ2 is completely customizable - in terms of type of wood, thickness of wood, and shell sizes.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

If you could do another "drum-off" (like you did with Simon Phillips) with any other drummer, who would you choose?

I'd love to do something with Steve Gadd - of course it would be very different to the thing I did with Simon (who was AMAZING).

Also, were you ever a fan of Jethro Tull's drummer Barrimore Barlow? The song "Hunting Girl" sounds especially difficult the first few times you listen to it.

I've never really listened to Jethro Tull so I don't know that song.

Hi Embalmer

I was listening to Octane Twisted today while driving and thought of a couple questions. First, I noticed quite a bit of your fills live do not follow the album tracks note for note. Is this improvised (i.e. different night to night) or did you just decide that the live fills felt better than what was recorded in the studio?

A bit of both. I have some that I improvise and some that I just found (what I thought whilst I was on tour) to be better - or at least different - but equally suitable.

Second, maybe it's the mix, but your toms sound like they're tuned slightly higher live than in the studio. Can you comment on this?

I can't say that my toms are tuned exactly the same all the time. On the live Octane Twisted (compared to the original recording) I was using a different drumset and about 18 months had gone by so it doesn't surprise me that it wasn't exactly the same tuning.

Hi amadiani

I'm a huge fan from Indonesia. I know that perhaps gavin harrison or porcupine tree is not very popular here (shame), but i know that you've done drum clinic in malaysia.So is there any chance that you do drum clinic in indonesia too?or perhaps for the band to do a gig here?

We'd love to come to Indonesia - but there's no plan to at the moment.

Hi Kalma

Have you ever tried a akg c214/c414 on snare bottom and md421 on the top?
If so, how do you like it?

Yes - and I didn't prefer them to Shure SM57 or Audix i5 on the snare drum.

Hi K_HiHats

Just a quick question about TMWSH. I have been wondering what the time signature is for the middle section of the song. (I've also been wondering why I haven't asked this question yet.) It starts around 1:10 in the video linked below. And if by some chance it happens to be in 4/4 (which I doubt), I tip my hat to you Mr. Harrison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjB0hBoidsQ

You'd better keep your hat on because it's in 9/8.

Hi deadwing_007

I've got a question about the muffling in your bass drum. I know you've said before that its a "very heavy pillow," but I'm just curious if it is still a normal size pillow, or if it is also very large as well. I've seen videos of guitar center sessions where you can see that the pillow is going halfway up your bass drum head. Do you just have it turned so it is "standing up" so to speak leaning against the head? Or is it actually going the length of the drum as well? I'm also curious as to where the mic that is inside your drum is placed too. Is it laying on the shell itself?

It's a normal sized pillow (at least in the UK it is) and yes on the bass drums that are 18" deep (like the one I have in the States) it's standing up length wise. In my new Blue Tribal Sonor bass drum which is only 15" deep it is lying down side ways. It still touches the front head though. The mic is suspended in the middle of the drum (Kelly Shu)

I was recently watching the anesthetize blu ray, and there was a shot where the camera is panning around the back of the stage and you see a set list hanging on something. I paused it since I wanted to see how different the order of songs was than what is actually presented in the dvd. So on the list I see...

Scooby Doo With Trombones

Yes it's an inside joke. I could tell you what it means...but then I'd have to kill you!!!!

Hi Swiss Matthias

Which exercise or other kind of training/experience do you feel helped you the most
in becoming very accurate in keeping time and being tight?

You just need to learn how to listen...and how to listen objectively whilst you're playing. It's very hard to do. I recorded myself 25 years ago - and at the time I thought it sounded great. When I listen to it now I can hear all the errors (and it doesn't sound too good) - so my ears have got a lot better at hearing these things. If you can't hear the errors then you'll never be able to do anything about it. You need to train your ears and it has taken me a long time to get good at that - and I've still got a long way to go.
I used to record myself and then listen back with the tape slowed right down. That exaggerated the errors and made them easier to hear.

Hi Wolvie56

I have to say though, I am a little disappointed with the pricing of your just released snare drum line, The Protean Series. I was just wondering if you had any input regarding the price point. They look really cool and sound great, and I love the quick change snare idea, but I'm not so sure they are $1000.00 great retail cost for the deluxe package 14" snare. Unfortunately, I think they are now priced out of most everyone's reach except pro, the very rich, and maybe semi pro drummers. Something to think about.

I didn't have any input into the pricing of the drum. However it is a 'no compromise' instrument. No corners were cut (apart from the bearing edges!!! if you know what I mean). If you compare it to the other "Made In Germany" snare drums you'll find that comparatively it's not that much - plus this drum has a lot of extra features and innovations and a really good case. I think folks have become so used to the prices of drums made in China that the stuff made in Europe or USA seems really expensive.

Sonor 'made in Germany' drums are the real top end of the manufacturing drum companies and it's is reflected in the quality of the instrument.

Hi Heitor

First, I'm travelling to London next May and I wanted tips on drum shops and general music shops around town. Instruments and/or records, please!

Record shops pretty much don't exist anymore and there really are not many drum shops left either. You might enjoy visiting Wembley Drum Centre - that's a great shop with lots of stuff. It's a bit out of the centre of London.

Second, is there any chance you'll have any appearances in London next May? It would be pretty awesome to see a clinic/concert/masterclass of any kind!

I don't have any plans for appearances in London in May at the moment.

Hi szokematyi

What's your opinion on full birch kits, birch/bubingas, and shallower sized toms? I know I should hear the kits, thats the only way to be sure, but as I said, I've got zero chance to do that. So I ask as many accomplished players as I can, and than I'll do my best to choose well. Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give!

I don't have experience with Birch/Bubinga mixed shells. I have played all birch drumsets and I really liked them - but for the last 10 years or more I have mainly played maple drumsets with birch snare drums. I haven't played kits with really shallow depth toms.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I think folks have become so used to the prices of drums made in China that the stuff made in Europe or USA seems really expensive.

cheers
Gavin
True. I'd also like to chime in. There's a cost to developing real world advantages rather than just the latest "feature" to build marketing distinction. The Protean snare package is something rare these days, & that's a well thought through design with a defined set of attributes. Worth it? = hell yes, if you're going to benefit from the instrument's features.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Hi Gavin,

What is your current studio bass drum micing technique these days? You've stated that you're using the Kelly Shu system inside the drum. Does this leave any room for the SM91, or any other mic? Is your studio application utilizing multiple mics or a single mic? Maybe it depends on the music - what you're trying to achieve...?

Thanks and good luck with the tour!
Jeff
Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Hey Gavin! I really love "all" of your work. Your sense of timing remains unmatched by anyone! I have a question about tuning your Bass Drum. I like to tune mine sort of tight for response (stuffed with a heavy pillow as well, I am old school too). Do you feel it gets a better sound tight or do you prefer it to be as some say "lowest pitch possible"? Thanks and keep up the awesome work!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison
I think folks have become so used to the prices of drums made in China that the stuff made in Europe or USA seems really expensive.

cheers
Gavin
True!

But it's not really that expensive? At least in germany:
12x5 model: 499€
14x5.25 model: 599€

That's imo pretty "cheap" for such a great sounding/looking snaredrum...
These are actually the pretty much the same prices as other Sonor Snaredrums..
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM

Hi Gavin!

I was very lucky to see you in Reichenbach yestersday! Very familiar and great concert. It was the first concert I've seen,

1. where not just the musicians, but the instruments where introduced (the owner very lovingly described you're drumset)

2. which started punctually

and 3. where I had the chance to stand 2 meters away from one of my idols performing!

I also want to thank you and the band for the signing session and the opportunity to take photos with you and the guys.

Where you surprised by the size of the venue and was it complicated to set up?

Cheers,

Christian
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 AM
Senior Pro Drummer

You are playing great '''''''' i;m not 13teen I played with your Dad in 1963 in London he
also was great ......... Butch Axsmith
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Hi Gavin

Is possible you say the exactly things you make your custom chimes(type of cymbals,sizes)
And you opinion about the woods you already use in your carrer(maple,birch...) and who is your preference?
Thanks
Humberto Lelis from brazil
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 AM

Hi Gavin! Thank you for the show in Bratislava and signing my Rhytmic Designs book.

It was a real pleasure to see you play, even your soundcheck was good to see! Never thought of Tom Holders could make such an impact on the sound.

The concert was great, to be honest I wasn't expecting this kind of music to sound so groovy and very dancable! I enjoyed every minute of it.

You probably don't remember me, I was there from the moment you arrived and wanting the book signed but I asked your Soundman (Who did really good job) if he could ask you to sign my book and he told me you will do signing and taking photos after the show. And after the show I was really shaking, I couldn't say the word to you, haha, was so nervous and shy. I just gave you the book and then told you that I did ask you few questions here on Drummerworld. And you said "Ah, OK" and shaked my hand. Found it quite funny later...

Thank you!

Last edited by Rudolf Horváth; 03-14-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Hi Gavin

Is possible you tell me which kind of equipment you have in your personal studio at your home??
I mean, which kind of different equipments (diferent cymbals,snares,microphones,everything) and a list of your equipment at this year??
Thank you very much
Humberto Lelis
Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Hi Gavin,

great to see such a highly talented (and obviously busy) musician finds some time to answer our questions.

I was wondering what tuning approach you use to make you floor toms sound the way they do: bottoms tuned higher than tops or the other way round? Which musical interval between the heads?

Greetings from Germany,

Martin
Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Hi Gavin
I was listening a old(but nice) song of porcupine tree called ''Don't hate me'' and i realized that you use a splash right?? Is possible you say me which kind of splash you use in that song??
And i saw you using in another one in the song ''Nights In tunisia'' And another one is ''Plasson'' of one of the dvd of yours. So is possible you say me this type of splash in this exatcly cases?
Thank you once again
Humberto lelis
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71

What is your current studio bass drum micing technique these days? You've stated that you're using the Kelly Shu system inside the drum. Does this leave any room for the SM91, or any other mic? Is your studio application utilizing multiple mics or a single mic?

At the moment I have two Kelly Shu mounts in the bass drum. One supports the Shure SM91A (suspended in the middle of the drum just above the pillow) and the other the AKG D12 which is in the top 1/3 of the drum. I blend the two sounds to get the desired amount of attack and low end thump.

Hi Animal7

I have a question about tuning your Bass Drum. I like to tune mine sort of tight for response (stuffed with a heavy pillow as well, I am old school too). Do you feel it gets a better sound tight or do you prefer it to be as some say "lowest pitch possible"?

I would say that it's medium/tight. I certainly don't go down to the lowest possible pitch.

Hi Christian Beck

I was very lucky to see you in Reichenbach yestersday! Very familiar and great concert. It was the first concert I've seen. Where you surprised by the size of the venue and was it complicated to set up?

We had a great time in Reichenbach - the venue was pretty tight with that amount of people in there but we enjoyed the hospitality.

Hi Butch Axsmith

You are playing great '''''''' i;m not 13teen I played with your Dad in 1963 in London he
also was great ......... Butch Axsmith

I'd love to hear more. Where were you playing with him - Hammersmith Palais? I've sent you a private message.

Hi humberto

Is possible you say the exactly things you make your custom chimes(type of cymbals,sizes) And you opinion about the woods you already use in your carrer(maple,birch...) and who is your preference? Is possible you tell me which kind of equipment you have in your personal studio at your home?? I mean, which kind of different equipments (diferent cymbals,snares,microphones,everything) and a list of your equipment at this year??

All my current equipment is listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

I was listening a old(but nice) song of porcupine tree called ''Don't hate me'' and i realized that you use a splash right?? Is possible you say me which kind of splash you use in that song??

That wasn't me playing the drums on the original recording of that song. It was Porcupine Tree's previous drummer Chris Maitland.

And i saw you using in another one in the song ''Nights In tunisia'' And another one is ''Plasson'' of one of the dvd of yours. So is possible you say me this type of splash in this exatcly cases?

I don't remember the exact splashes used on those songs. They were recorded a long time ago. They're probably 6" or 8" A Zildjians.

Hi Triplet Emitter

I was wondering what tuning approach you use to make you floor toms sound the way they do: bottoms tuned higher than tops or the other way round? Which musical interval between the heads?

The bottom heads are a little bit higher than the tops. I can't distinguish much interval between them so they must be quite close. I make a one inch zero ring and drop it inside each floor tom to control the amount of sustain. It just rests on the top of the bottom head (if that makes sense).

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Hello Gavin,

I just want to tell you how wonderful I find it that you take the time with folks here...replying to their queries and all. It reminds me of when I went to a Helmet concert years and years ago and as I was leaving a great show the drummer was there at the door thanking each and everyone for coming out. It left a huge impression on me, and so I want to pass that on to you. Your humility and humanity are what I have consistently strived for in my life and it is a treat to see someone at a high level doing just that..showing appreciation for the folks that support you and your endeavours. Cheers mate! You are a rare bird if I may say so.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM

Hi gavin

I see one video of yours playing the song ''scar'' about 1 month ago and i have one question
which kind of hihat is that one you use in this video ?? i mean i know is a k constantinople but which kind of size???
Thanks
Humberto
Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Brace yourself -- not a gear or transcription question. The question about the splash in "Don't Hate Me", where you answered that it was Chris Maitland on the track and not you, got me pondering about your take on stepping in and playing some of the older songs. I've seen the "Arriving Somewhere" video, where your playing on "Hatesong", one of my favorite older songs in the PT catalog, is brilliant. And obviously, you're stepping into huge shoes (Bill Bruford's, to be precise), over in King Crimson.

What's your thinking when coming into drum positions with so much history? How closely do you think you have to hew to the recorded version, or have the continuing bandmembers/leaders been pretty permissive in letting you retool the parts? (Again, the answer looks like yes to me, but if there were any interesting moments in the process, it'd be interesting to hear.)

And a followup: When you think back on all these recordings and live shows, is there one record or one performance that really stands out in your mind, where you feel you really hit it out of the park, to use an Americanism? That magic gig or session where you felt you could do no wrong?

I've been driving thousands of miles in the past six months for work, and the Porcupine Tree playlist seems to get the very most airtime on my long, lonely drives. I appreciate you and your work.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 AM

Hey Gavin,

I know this thread is meant specifically for drumming. However, would you be willing to answer questions about the music industry in general?

Cheers!

-DH
Old 03-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I make a one inch zero ring and drop it inside each floor tom to control the amount of sustain. It just rests on the top of the bottom head (if that makes sense).
Mind blown.

Have you attempted this ring placement on the snare side of a snare drum? I am going to try the snare drum right now.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 AM

Hey Gavin! I want to start off by saying that you are probably my main influence on the drums. Listening to your playing has gotten me into a lot of jazz, and I can say I've definitely improved because of it. You're style and playing is simply superb, and you always find a way to make it interesting. I love all of your work with Porcupine Tree!

Anyway, I wanted to ask a couple of questions about your drum rack.
1) Is the front bar curved or is it straight? I'm only asking this because I like how your rack toms are in a nice straight line and I was wondering what kind of bar to get so I could have mine like that.

2) How exactly do you mount your toms on a Pearl rack without them being completely straight up and down? Since the bars are square, it seems to me as though this would be difficult. I like a bit of angle towards me from my rack toms, and you have this on your toms.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Hi Gavin
Is Possible you say the name of the hardware when you put your cup chimes on??
Thank You
Humberto
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberto View Post
Hi Gavin
Thank You
Humberto
It's the sonor basic arm system and gavin modified some of the parts for the 3 lower bells..
Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberto View Post
Hi Gavin
Humberto, you can find the exact Sonor parts/numbers in Gavin's thread if you search around a bit.

If you're into DIY - I've made a few bell holders myself, they work well and look ok, too.
I posted some infos on the parts I used and dimensions, plus pics, in this thread:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=92087
(Info on those DIY bell holders beginning from post #15...)
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi humberto

I see one video of yours playing the song ''scar'' about 1 month ago and i have one question which kind of hihat is that one you use in this video ?? i mean i know is a k constantinople but which kind of size???

Those are 14" K Constantinople hi hats.

Hi alparrott

What's your thinking when coming into drum positions with so much history? How closely do you think you have to hew to the recorded version, or have the continuing bandmembers/leaders been pretty permissive in letting you retool the parts? (Again, the answer looks like yes to me, but if there were any interesting moments in the process, it'd be interesting to hear.)

When Robert Fripp invited me to join King Crimson - we discussed the drum parts and he very much wanted me to do my own thing. He told me to learn the songs but not the drum parts. He wanted me to improvise and play whatever I wanted. I don't think I could have had a more open invitation.

And a followup: When you think back on all these recordings and live shows, is there one record or one performance that really stands out in your mind, where you feel you really hit it out of the park, to use an Americanism? That magic gig or session where you felt you could do no wrong?

I really don't have such an elevated opinion about myself where I came off stage or out of a session and I punched the air and said "I hit it out of park". I nearly always think I could have done it better. There probably were days where I was pleased with the way it went - but I hardly ever listen back to records I've played on and if I do it's because I liked the song more than what I played on it.

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

I know this thread is meant specifically for drumming. However, would you be willing to answer questions about the music industry in general?

OK let's hear your questions.

Hi topgun2021

Have you attempted this ring placement on the snare side of a snare drum? I am going to try the snare drum right now.

No - and I can't imagine it working well. The bottom head on a snare drum doesn't really ring and sustain (the way a tom would) and most of the time the snare wires are pressing against it anyway. How did it sound?

Hi Theyoungdrum

Anyway, I wanted to ask a couple of questions about your drum rack.
1) Is the front bar curved or is it straight? I'm only asking this because I like how your rack toms are in a nice straight line and I was wondering what kind of bar to get so I could have mine like that.

It is straight...but I must say that I've kind of gone off the big bar across the front and I'm currently looking into other options.

2) How exactly do you mount your toms on a Pearl rack without them being completely straight up and down? Since the bars are square, it seems to me as though this would be difficult. I like a bit of angle towards me from my rack toms, and you have this on your toms.

The angle is coming from the Sonor tom mount. It has a ball inside the mount so you can position it anyway you want.

HI humberto

As Kalma said - It's Sonor Basic Arm hardware.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Hello Gavin. Hope you are well. :)

1. When you play drums with other musicians, what do you listen to? Do you listen to each instruments individually or listen to all of them together? What should a drummer/percussionist listen to while playing music with others?

2. Can you suggest some methods/techniques to improve the sense of time? By the sense of time I mean keeping the groove in the pocket and knowing when the tempo is fluctuating.

3. When playing solos/long fills how do you keep track of the ONE? Do you count the beats simultaneously in your head?

4. How do you come up with new ideas of grooves and fills?

- Sounak
Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 PM

OK let's hear your questions.

I've been fortunate enough to do a few tours of the US so far with my own band. We do not have any type of label support, so everything we do, we do out-of-pocket ourselves. We're not necessarily looking to get onto a label, but we're amazed at the number of other bands who are more "radio friendly" than us get picked up by labels. Being in PT yourself, a band that is also not necessarily "radio friendly", how did getting onto to bigger labels like RoadRunner even happen? I'm not looking for advice, and i'm definitely not looking for handouts/ways to get onto a label. I'm just curious as to what the story is behind PT and maybe some other bands you've sessioned on.

Cheers!

- DH
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Hi Gavin
Did You have some plans go start a tour(with PT or 05ric) in America(especially south america of course)???

I remeber another question'' Which kind of exercise do you recomend to (how i say....) make my left hand more better ?? i mean like my right hand have this difference of speed. So is possible you say me something about this??? and another one to start to develop foot independence??

Last edited by Bernhard; 04-02-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Hi Gavin:

I just received a 12 x 5 Sonor GH Protean snare drum. What a beautiful little beast it is and the sound is incredible! Thanks to you and Sonor for collaborating on such a well thought through product.

I am in the process of buying cymbals for my new acoustic kit (coming back from electronic drums) and I am weighing my options. I note you play 13” hi-hats while the trend seems to be going towards larger diameters. For the types of music you play, what do the 13” hats do better than other sizes?

Croc
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 AM

Gavin,

A question about the opening bars of Identitas. I've read that you stated it's a 27 note grouping. Which could be split however you choose. Do you maintain a steady (3) bars of 9/8 for each set? I've been listening very carefully to count the notes, and was wondering if you include the 3 hi-hat *chicks* with the left foot during the (4 notes on the tom, 1 accent on the snare) part. I'd try to transcribe it, but you saw my last attempt with What Happens Now, and I don't feel like making a fool of myself again. HAHA

Final question: What would you estimate the value of your drums (shells, hardware, cymbals, cymbal stands) to be worth? If I ever came into a large sum of money, I would love a replica of your Sonor kit, w/cymbals. I do understand that some of the cymbals you use would be difficult to replace (i.e. -- 1980's zildjian k ride).

Thanks for your time Gavin
Eric
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Final question: What would you estimate the value of your drums (shells, hardware, cymbals, cymbal stands) to be worth? If I ever came into a large sum of money, I would love a replica of your Sonor kit, w/cymbals. I do understand that some of the cymbals you use would be difficult to replace (i.e. -- 1980's zildjian k ride).
If you only refer the stuff that you see him using live (or the list from wikipedia) than that would be:

Shells:
8x7" Rack Tom (Medium Shell)
10x8" Rack Tom (Medium Shell)
12x9" Rack Tom (Medium Shell)
15x13" Floor Tom (Medium Shell)
18x15" Floor Tom (Medium Shell)
22x15" Bass Drum (Heavy Shell)
That would make 4298,26 EUR

Cymbals:
16" Oriental China Trash
13" K Hi-Hats
18" K Custom Crash
15" A Custom Crash
20" K Ride
18" K Custom Crash
12" Oriental China Trash
18" Z Custom China
~ 2200€

Hardware:
Pearl DR503 Rack
9x Sonor Cymbal Arms (600 series)
Hihat Stand
Speed cobra

In total: 7961€
Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 PM

Kalma,

Thank you for taking the time to list that :) Much appreciated! :D
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM

Hello .
What happended to the site askgavinharrison.com
i got answers of some of my questions there .

now my question is what is the time signature and snare accs in "what happens now" after e-guitar pattern and befor 3/4 rhythm ( At Live in DVD ) . you know which polyrhythmic i mean , if you dont i will post exactly the address by Seconds.

Best Regards .

Elyar Khosravi.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Gavin,

What brand In-Ear Monitors do you use?

What brand(s) do you recommend?

Any other tips/advice when I am looking to purchase In-Ear Monitors for the first time?

Thanks you Gavin!