Jazz: Mapex Maple Meridian vs. Mapex Maple Meridian MANHATTAN

Wolfee

I'm looking for a new kit: something to play jazz , although I do occasionally play rock and folk as well as reggae. Right now one of my main options is the Mapex Meridian Maple. Now, I've seen a demo for something called the "Mapex Meridian Maple," which the guy doing the demo did not advise to be used for jazz, as it was to heavy on the attack and didn't resonate—and form the way it sounded I believed him. However, I have seen posts by people referring to the "Mapex Meridian Maple MANHATTAN," and these guys always say these kits are great for bop.
So is there a difference between the two? If anyone could confirm of discredit these observations and give advise about what kit to get, it would be a great help.
My other big option is the Yamaha Stage Custom Bebop, and after that the Gretch Catalina.

For me, a key element of a bop kit is that it opens up easily under low dynamic/light playing. For this, you need more resonant shells, & in your price range, that means thin ply. Wood species plays a part too, & you should let the sound you want guide you on that. More rounded bearing edges will also help with control & tone too.

Good luck :)

My concern isn't so much what the wood is but rather size. You said you want primarily a jazz kit, but you might play other things as well. To be honest, I think you need a bass drum as big as 20 inches. 18's sound ok, but as soon as you want to 'open up' a bit and lay into it, I think you're defeating yourself by playing a small bass drum. I'd say find a kit with a 14x20 bass drum. Gretsch makes a limited edition Catalina jazz with a 20 bass drum, and of course, Ludwig has their popular Club Date drumsets with three different sized bass drums. I have always found that its easier to make bigger drums sound small when you need them to, but it's difficult to get a big sound out of a smaller drum.

Or do you have a second, bigger kit already?

There are some Meridian Manhattan and Saturn Manhattan kits on Amazon I believe. I think that I saw some there a few days ago.
I have a Mapex Saturn Manhattan kit and I love it.
I have also played a Meridian Manhattan.
The Meridian kits will sound a bit different than a Gretsch Cat Jazz but it isn't a problem as far as I am concerned. They are not as warm mostly because of the bearing edges.
The difference is slight.
Mapex still makes 18 inch Meridian bass drums if you order them.
They also make 18 inch Saturn bass drums to order.
Mapex quality is very high.

The Ludwig Club Date SE is another kit to consider.
They have round bearing edges and they sound like vintage drums.
I own a Club Date SE kit in the 22, 16, 13 config.
They offer them in 18, 14, 12 and 20, 14, 12 sizes too.

I'm thinking Ludwig Club Date white marine pearl all the way here. Good price. Though the Mapex Manhattans were a sweet kit as well. More difficult to find these days though..

The Mapex Meridian Maple and the Mapex Meridian Maple Manahattan are the identical drums. The "Manhattan" refers to the bop configuration. They have been discontinued as mentioned but there are a few on Amazon. The Manhattan has a 14x18 bass drum, the only offering is now in the Mydentity series with a 16x18 bass drum. Otherwise, the drums are very versitile depending on the heads you choose. I installed a set of Remo Fiberskyns for a warmer rounder jazz sound. I love my kit and I would consider a set before they are gone as the quality is amazing.

Attachments

• DSCN1617A.jpg
    DSCN1617A.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 3,703
Back