Picked Up my Acousticon snare today... and a few other things! (G.A.S.)

Dirtysticks

My Remo Acousticon snare was delivered today to Guitar Center and I went to pick it up! When I opened the box, it was in way better condition than I thought I was in from the picture. It was just dirty in the picture. I checked it over and the top bearing edge is only very slightly rolled over like some people had warned, but it was waaaay less than I expected it may be. People had made it seem like the snare edge would be in terrible shape and that the drum would be caved in on itself... glad to say that it wasn't. It sounded terrible when I got it. It had an old Coated Pinstripe head on it that was badly out of tune. I tuned it a little with the Pinstripe on it and I heard some potential in the snare. Then I out on a Remo UT head from a Catalina snare that was practically brand new... It sounded superb! I tuned it high and it had great crack and snap, with amazing sensitivity and good tone. I really like it a lot!

While I was there, I saw a few used snares that they had just bought in that weren't even tagged yet. One of them was a MIJ Tama Starclassic Birch 5.5x14 snare in blue lacquer. I had been looking at adding a birch snare for a while so I gave it a good hit and it sounded nice, with an Evans EC Reverse dot, which I absolutely loath. I asked for the pice and they said it was $99, so I got that too. It has amazing tone and pop and I could get it to go from low and fat to high and cracking. I felt so good, I went to the other music store I go to often, where I had a Gretsch Catalina Club (Retro Mahogany) on layaway. I used to have this model drum once before, and I let it go in a kit sale and always regretted it. It is an inexpensive snare that sounds amazing. I got that out today too... Dangit, that G.A.S. has attacked me hard again! lol

The pics aren't high quality, they were taken in my room with my camera phone... I'll get better pictures when i can.

6x14 Remo Acousticon snare with quick release lugs and single flanged hoops w/ clips
Remo X14 batter
Remo Ambassador Hazy resonant

5.5x14 MIJ Tama Starclassic Birch
Remo Coated Emperor on top
Evans 300 Hazy on bottom

7x13 Gretsch Catalina Club
Evans Black Onyx batter
Stock snare side head

That's great that the Remo was better than you expected. That Tama though, I think I could get along with that real nice. Enjoy your new drums.

That's great that the Remo was better than you expected. That Tama though, I think I could get along with that real nice. Enjoy your new drums.

I'm happy about all of the additions. They're all in good condition and they all have nice distinct sounds. That Tama is a nice snare, I'm definitely getting along with it! I'll be using that Remo snare tonight and the Gretsch snare tomorrow... I can't wait to hear them live!

Can we get a picture with the head off? I am curious to see what the wood and bearing edge look like.

Congrats on the new snares...................I really like the single flange hoops and claws on that Remo

Congrats on the new snares...................I really like the single flange hoops and claws on that Remo

Thanks bro, I'm really enjoying the new snares. They sound great.

On Tuesday I had the distinct privilege of being one of the judges for Guitar Center's drumoff for the Semi-final round (I also did the first rounds and the store finals), and for my services, they gave me a $150 gift card. Immediately, I lurked the used site to see what I could find and I came across a few deals. Then I found a Yamaha Musashi oak 6.5x13 in good condition and I was able to get the snare, pay for shipping and a replacement batter head of my choice and all I paid out of pocket was $1.47. I used to have this snare a few years back, but I sold it to fund the purchase of a DW snare which I ended up not even liking as much as the Musashi, and it isn't even in my snare lineup any longer... lol. Needless to say, I've always regretted selling that snare, and I'm excited to get it back in the arsenal, especially without having to spend anything in it. The last one I had was used, costed more, and this one is cheaper and may be in better condition. I can't wait for it to get here!

Congratulations on the new snares, now how many are you up to?

Now I'm up back at 11 snares (at least it's no longer 25+)

-World Max Vintage Classic 6.5x14 bronze snare
-Pearl Marvin "Smitty" Smith 4x14 copper snare
-Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x13
-Gretsch Retro Mahogany 6.5x14
-Gretsch Catalina Club 7x13
-Premier Signia Brass 7x14
-Ddrum Dominion Ash 7x13
-Tama King Beat 6.5x14
-Tama Starclassic Birch 5.5x14
-Remo Acoustic 6x14 with single flanged hoops & clips
-Yamaha Musashi oak 6.5x13

I love them all and they all have their particular sound characteristics.

Back