Nutrition for Recovery

iwantmemoney

Hey !

Other than Brett Farve, are there any 55 year old pro sports players out there? But what if you want to still play drums at a pretty high level at 55 years old? Besides being potentially very physical all-around, it is the specific point of hand strength that I'm talking about.

I'm a 55 year old drummer, and I feel I'm losing as much as 30% or more of the value of my practice time just because of age- my hands just aren't getting where I know they would be getting if I were younger, even 40 or 45.(so youngsters! get it done!)

Is anyone all up on super good stuff for nutrition which can help in recovery? Don't say Geritol please...

I appreciate it. I still peruse and enjoy forum all the time, just don't have time to talk much(just as well)-enjoy the friendship and laughs and great stuff.

Do you mean recovery from old age? lol! I'm 44 and am starting to feel the years catching up. I watched a video of me with one of my old bands from about 20 years ago and was like, holy cow, I can't do that anymore. The upshot is that I'm not sure I'd want to! I prefer a more nuanced approach these days...

I'm (only..) 46 but have been starting to get painful sensations in several finger joints in the last year or so. It hasn't affected my drumming yet, but then I don't do full-evening gigs anyway.. My GP reckons it's early onset of arthritis.... I thought you didn't get that until your sixties... Am I alone?

Dutch

You could also be experiencing the onset of peripheral neuropathy.

I have arthritis, tendinosis and am trying to come back from nerve re-attachment surgery in my left pinky on top of all that. Plus, I'm primarily a bassist.

I am somewhat skeptical of a nutritional therapy working for any of this, and I've discussed it at length with my hand surgeon and PT.

I would check out www.nutritionalfrontiers.com or Dr. James Winer www.drjameswiner.com

He's a local guy here all over the radio talk shows and is an expert on nutritional solutions to problems. I use many of his products daily. I'm 46 and run 7-10 miles daily. Not tooting my own horn but I feel great thanks to his products. His office can ship anywhere. Can them at 412-922-9355 tell them what your problems are and they'll make suggestions. Good luck. :)

The paleolithic diet/lifestyle works for me. Although i am in my 30's, its made a huge difference in my endurance (plus melting off 25 lbs without any effort), its the real deal. Very powerful if you follow it strictly.

I think I'm the youngest "old guy" on this thread so far. At 37, I haven't noticed too many issues. Maybe the metabolism has slowed down a little but nothing major.

I try to eat as healthy/natural as possible and I think that has helped quite a bit. I also compete in endurance bicycle events, not a typical additional hobby of most drummers. So there is a lot focus on my health/performance.

OP, I will say that taking a joint supplement such as glucosamine and chondroitin can alleviate joint pain and inflammation. If that's what you were referring to in your post...

MikeM: recovery from old age...then i think the answer would be geritol. Nuance: maybe another way of saying necessity is the mother of invention. but totally agreed, thanks.

Dutch: Hand pains- so far I just blast through them...just don't even acknowledge them. If you do 100 squats, you can't even walk up the stairs the next day. So should you not do them because of that? I'm not underestimating the legitimate things like arthritis tho! Just that the boogeyman can convince some people that something's wrong when what they're experiencing is perfectly normal according to the demands being put on the hands. There may be natural things you can take for arthritis too-not sure, but thanks and good luck. No you're not alone-I have a sister who had arthritis when she was a teen...hey just looked at paleodiet.com- it has a topic about diet and arthritis-could be interesting...

Bezmotivnik: Good luck to you with your hands man!! Yes, I'm a skeptic too, but I'm not looking for miracles- just good stuff. I've heard good things about raw apple cider, cayenne pepper, chia seeds, etc,etc, and you can't know how true the claims are cause they're usually being made by people trying to sell whatever...thanks.

larryz: I went there- it's so much to sift through, but I asked for it and do I thank you for it! Can you tell me what you take and why you like it? Also I'll study a little more as time allows.

Dj magic d: Had never heard of it-thought you were spoofing at first, but it looks really interesting. If I studied it and got into it, I would let you know. It sounds like it really works for you, so that's a good reference. And not related to it, but just a fun trivia point: when I was 35, I was never going to be 50...it simply wasn't an option. Life has a way of being so real in that way...and I'm like..."what the hell is goin on here? Did I ok this?"

brady: You posted while I did. Yeah- glucosamine and chondroitin- I definitely need to study up on those. Thanks. Didn't Neal Peart ride his bike from city to city while touring? I would imagine you have some pretty good wind, which is another huge aspect of the physical side of drumming besides this hand dealie-yo. All the best.

Everybody play it pretty.

Last edited:
MikeM: recovery from old age...then i think the answer would be geritol. Nuance: maybe another way of saying necessity is the mother of invention. but totally agreed, thanks.

Dutch: Hand pains- so far I just blast through them...just don't even acknowledge them. If you do 100 squats, you can't even walk up the stairs the next day. So should you not do them because of that? I'm not underestimating the legitimate things like arthritis tho! Just that the boogeyman can convince some people that something's wrong when what they're experiencing is perfectly normal according to the demands being put on the hands. There may be natural things you can take for arthritis too-not sure, but thanks and good luck. No you're not alone-I have a sister who had arthritis when she was a teen...hey just looked at paleodiet.com- it has a topic about diet and arthritis-could be interesting...

Bezmotivnik: Good luck to you with your hands man!! Yes, I'm a skeptic too, but I'm not looking for miracles- just good stuff. I've heard good things about raw apple cider, cayenne pepper, chia seeds, etc,etc, and you can't know how true the claims are cause they're usually being made by people trying to sell whatever...thanks.

larryz: I went there- it's so much to sift through, but I asked for it and do I thank you for it! Can you tell me what you take and why you like it? Also I'll study a little more as time allows.

Dj magic d: Had never heard of it-thought you were spoofing at first, but it looks really interesting. If I studied it and got into it, I would let you know. It sounds like it really works for you, so that's a good reference. And not related to it, but just a fun trivia point: when I was 35, I was never going to be 50...it simply wasn't an option. Life has a way of being so real in that way...and I'm like..."what the hell is goin on here? Did I ok this?"

brady: You posted while I did. Yeah- glucosamine and chondroitin- I definitely need to study up on those. Thanks. Didn't Neal Peart ride his bike from city to city while touring? I would imagine you have some pretty good wind, which is another huge aspect of the physical side of drumming besides this hand dealie-yo. All the best.

Everybody play it pretty.

Hi again. I take HA Plus vegetarian power. Mix it with Pro Oranges powder and you have sort of an Orange Julius flavor, but much much healthier. I take both and they really work. In fact drinking some now. Pretty awesome stuff. You'll be doing half hour drum solos with ease :) Good luck.

HA Plus Vegetarian Powder
http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=103
Pro Oranges
http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=37

Hi again. I take HA Plus vegetarian power. Mix it with Pro Oranges powder and you have sort of an Orange Julius flavor, but much much healthier. I take both and they really work. In fact drinking some now. Pretty awesome stuff. You'll be doing half hour drum solos with ease :) Good luck.

HA Plus Vegetarian Powder
http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=103
Pro Oranges
http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=37

If that stuff does what it says, you must be just about bulletproof! Not cheap tho - a moderate intake would run about $85 a month. It also has the condroitin and glucosamine that Brady mentioned though, so it looks pretty cool. Can't say I'm gonna order it tonite, cuz I actually have to consider $85 these days, at least right now. But I'll definitely get to it eventually and send you a PM. Thank you!

I also gotta say: that paleolithic diet is really intriguing on several levels, and I'm looking very seriously at that.

My dad was a builder for most of his life and at 50 his joints had taken such a beating that he had to retire from it. A year or so after this he tried cutting out all meat from his diet except fresh fish, and within a short while his arthritis and other problems calmed down significantly and eventually went away altogether. He easily lost weight and was able to start running every day, which he still does now at 63.

A huge amount of people have had their ill-health turned around by becoming completely or semi-vegetarian, as well as losing weight, sleeping better, a lot of other benefits. I have been vegan for four years (vegetarian for about 7 years prior, not long after my dad), and don't panic, I'm not going to go advocating up a storm on this forum. But I would urge anyone truly interested in improving their health and body to at least look into it with an open mind. There are a number of good documentary films worth watching. They aren't necessarily pro-vegetarian, but they just bring to attention the perils of the modern diet. Stuff I think every person should know. You'll find some of these free to watch online and are good introduction to really learning about your food:

-Food Inc.
-Food Matters
-Forks Over Knives (ie, prevention over scalpels/medicine)
-The Future of Food

If anyone wants to know anything more just flick me a PM, more than happy to help.

The Paleolithic diet is interesting as well. I think anything that really gets people actively learning and adopting a healthy diet is great.

I'm no spring chicken but, despite a life spent smoking, scoobs, drinking, late nights, insomnia and a few significant traumas people tell me I look at least 10 years younger than my age.

I have always eaten lots of raw fruit and veggies (organic, where practicable) and I haven't eaten more than one or two moderate serves of meat a week for the last 17 years (I eat a little for the amino acids, B12 and taste. I've also always exercised regularly. Not heavily - often just going for walks - but regularly. To be fair, my usual studio moon tan no doubt helped plenty.

Agree with Kettles ... we eat more meat and processed foods than is good for us.

kettles: i used to think vegan was another race like cardassian or romulan. i'm always impressed by young guys who can do something like that and stick with it. i'll check out the links you left. and i think it's cool, you're openness in saying something positive about a meat-centered diet- not a ton of veggies are open like that. thanks. rock your drums.

pollyanna: i quit smoking about 5 years ago. but i don't pound on smokers in any way, cause i always said i'm going to enjoy the hell out of them, so f*@!%** you.... but at some point i was ready. actually i just said, "God, can i let these go now?" i used to walk like crazy but since i stopped, i'm developing a buddha, so i know walking is truly one of the best easy ways to stay in shape. also i spose someone's told you this already, but i think you should go for a product endorsement now that you have a drummer thread?

kettles: i used to think vegan was another race like cardassian or romulan. i'm always impressed by young guys who can do something like that and stick with it

I had a vegan flatmate for a few years. He was another species for sure. Most vegans I've met are more laid back like Kettles ... no song and dance about it, they just do it. Meat was not even allowed in the house (except when the vegan guy was away, and then my other flatmate's boyfriend would cook up kangaroo stir fry dishes).

But it's not just vegans. The other flatmate in the household wouldn't allow biscuits or cake in the house because she didn't want the temptation. I didn't make any rules; I just (mostly) complied with them - sums up my life, really ...

pollyanna: i quit smoking about 5 years ago. but i don't pound on smokers in any way, cause i always said i'm going to enjoy the hell out of them, so f*@!%** you.... but at some point i was ready. actually i just said, "God, can i let these go now?"

I stopped smoking a number of times, the longest being two years. I've now quit quitting. My mother was an alcoholic chainsmoker who died peacefully in her sleep from a stroke in her early 70s. My father is a teetotaller anti-smoker and is now in his late 80s ... miserable, alone, sick all the time, going senile ... he's been slowly withering away over the last 8 years (in fact I have to move back with him next month to help out). I plan to have fun and make a pretty corpse ... no Buddha stomach for me :)

In the end, I think the most important things are eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and regular exercise.

also i spose someone's told you this already, but i think you should go for a product endorsement now that you have a drummer thread?

lol! Come on Pearl - I'll endorse the Rhythm Travelers. That should boost sales by about, say, 0.000000001 units!

I'm sorry I thought you said you ate kangaroo...

I had heard of the Roogans, but this is the first time I've had conscious contact. Talk about another species!

lol! Come on Pearl - I'll endorse the Rhythm Travelers. That should boost sales by about, say, 0.000000001 units!

You know what? I wouldn't sell myself short if I were you. Don't forget there's a "coolness" factor in the drummer image, something you've got more than covered

Last edited:
Now that I have gained alot of knowledge that tells what to do and what not to do. The body is so far gone that being in the pocket is all I got!!!! Stepping out of the pocket is a scary tale and the thought of not returning is even worse!!! Drifting aimlessly over your kit used to be a wonderfull jam and the freedom felt was terrific!! Now its like venturing into a cold dark damp tunnel that has no return and nothing ahead!!!! Yet I keep doing it!! Nutz!
As for recovery, I use Tramadol and Lyrica about 35 minutes before the gig ends. I top it off with ibeprovin 800 as soon as the last note is struck. I want a full glass of V.O. but I quit drinking 20 years ago, damn it!!! I like the bar maid but if she was nekkid in front of me my back wouldn't let me move, good lord!!! My mates tear down and pack up my kit because I've turned to stone and the expression on my face is scaring them, me too!!!!
Its funny that prior to the gig and just after its over are pretty ruff on me these days but during the 4 hour gig I can open and go for 90 minutes straight. Take 25 off and come on and do 75 mins straight (maybe a quick run to the jon, around 55 in) and take 30 and come back with a lil trailer and be feeling pretty damn good. But the last 10 minutes or so the gluts are getting hard, the stiffness is crawling up my back. My hands begin to hurt and as soon as my shoulders and neck get frozen the gig ends and I'm done, fork and all!!!
But you know what???......................................I made it!!! ....and I always do!!! Doc

I'm sorry I thought you said you ate kangaroo...

I had heard of the Roogans, but this is the first time I've had conscious contact. Talk about another species!

Ha - people here still usually eat traditional meats introduced by British settlers centuries ago but roo is available at some places. Nice meat and good for marinating but it should be eaten rare or it gets tough. I usually prefer non lethal foods, though. I think my diet is the only reason I'm alive and functional (?) given the life I've lead :)

You know what? I wouldn't sell myself short if I were you. Don't forget there's a "coolness" factor in the drummer image, something you've got more than covered

I concede that it's cool to have a giant cockroach sitting on one's lap but my band played 8 gigs in the last 2 years ...

Actually Pearl have already got the excellent Dayne Lawless endorsing in Oz and he's gigged with the RTs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHc727lEA6U

Now that I have gained alot of knowledge that tells what to do and what not to do. The body is so far gone that being in the pocket is all I got!!!! Stepping out of the pocket is a scary tale and the thought of not returning is even worse!!! Drifting aimlessly over your kit used to be a wonderfull jam and the freedom felt was terrific!! Now its like venturing into a cold dark damp tunnel that has no return and nothing ahead!!!! Yet I keep doing it!! Nutz!
As for recovery, I use Tramadol and Lyrica about 35 minutes before the gig ends. I top it off with ibeprovin 800 as soon as the last note is struck. I want a full glass of V.O. but I quit drinking 20 years ago, damn it!!! I like the bar maid but if she was nekkid in front of me my back wouldn't let me move, good lord!!! My mates tear down and pack up my kit because I've turned to stone and the expression on my face is scaring them, me too!!!!
Its funny that prior to the gig and just after its over are pretty ruff on me these days but during the 4 hour gig I can open and go for 90 minutes straight. Take 25 off and come on and do 75 mins straight (maybe a quick run to the jon, around 55 in) and take 30 and come back with a lil trailer and be feeling pretty damn good. But the last 10 minutes or so the gluts are getting hard, the stiffness is crawling up my back. My hands begin to hurt and as soon as my shoulders and neck get frozen the gig ends and I'm done, fork and all!!!
But you know what???......................................I made it!!! ....and I always do!!! Doc

who needs v.o. when you've got all that other excellent sh!!*t? nightmare of a story-it'd be funny if it wasn't true. that's what i'm saying tho...life is real and we do age and we probably need to figure out some things before we're done.

Actually Pearl have already got the excellent Dayne Lawless endorsing in Oz and he's gigged with the RTs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHc727lEA6U

thanks for roo history! wow those toms are tiny...what a great video. conga was cool. thanks!

As for recovery, I use Tramadol and Lyrica about 35 minutes before the gig ends. I top it off with ibeprovin 800 as soon as the last note is struck ... My mates tear down and pack up my kit because I've turned to stone and the expression on my face is scaring them, me too!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what injury or illness caused all these probs, Doc?

Lets see the worst were the auto & motocycle accidents. The latest was a year ago this passed March 21st, on a Sunday morning at 10am riding home on my bike after coffee with friends a young fellow ran a stop sign and bolted over the median too. He hit me on my blind side (never saw him) and I was then flown to the trama center in Ft. Myers Fl. The head trama guru decided he could save my leg, and he did. My tibia was broken clear through below my knee and above my ankle, the heel was degloved (95% removed) then reattached with temporary screws. The skin around my ankle and 50% of my foot was removed so skin grafts were used eventually. I damaged 5 T's in my back and broke bones in my lefthand for the 5th or 6th time. My left eye socket was damaged and I still have tiny bits of glass in my face (left side). A few other little broken parts but that the main damage.
I had an auto accident 20 yrs ago and fractured or broke all my ribs front and back and my right foot had a few broken bones along with both collar bones and ofcourse my left hand. Left hand has taken a beaten here hahahaha!!!
So thats it, I spent a 10 months in a wheel chair then a week or so on crutches and I'm still using a cane today. My foot looks pretty normal when you look down on it but an underneath view is kinda gross because 85% of my heel is gone. I've had 9 operation on my leg/foot and had a rod the length of my tibia inserted too. I basicly use a padded shoe and try to use the front of my heel as if its the back of a heel. I've gone through 3 braces and I think within 6 months I can go without a brace.
I just had a 55 year old musician friend have a stroke, he was down on the floor in his home for 15 hours before help came. I saw him this morning, I'm a lucky man. Doc

Back